Austin A35

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mark t4
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Austin A35

Post by mark t4 »

Hi everyone

Has anyone on here owned both the A35 and a minor 1000? if so which did you prefer?

I only ask because im viewing an A35 tomorrow thats been stored away for over 40 yrs so will need work (maybe lots)
and didnt want to waste the money or time if they are a disappointing car to drive

I have had a minor for over 3 years now and love it but the thought of owning a car thats been stored away is very tempting

Thank for any replies

Mark
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Re: Austin A35

Post by firedrake1942 »

Deffo the Minor. I did a lot of work on my A 35

A35 probably faster as lighter, but much less room inside. Less room to work under the bonnet too. i would not turn a good one down but look carefully at inner and outer sills and front wings.

This guide is excellent

http://www.autofurbish.net/autofurbish-reprint.pdf
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

I've got two minors and an A30. Love them all. The minors are more practical but if push came to shove the last car to go would be the Austin.
It's totally charming and implausibly slow ( the A35 is better,having the 948 engine). No sentient being can fail but be engaged by a baby Austin. The A30/35 club is fabulous,their forum is great fun. Their technical guy is Neil Evans,who runs a business restoring the cars in Lincolnshire.
Suggest you check out their site and chat to Neil. He is a total star!
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

Before I had my Minor van I had a 1968 A35 van which I owned for 15 years and was left to me by my brother in laws uncle in his will . It had been off the road 16 years before I got it and had only had to put new brakes on it before I put it on the road and it had covered 369000 miles on the same engine gearbox and clutch before I sold it because it needed welding done and a classic car restorer bought it and uses it. I now have a 1971 Minor van and im doing a bit of paint work on it at the moment.

LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

My first car an A30 was a joy to drive even as the predecessor to the A35 that had the larger engine and larger rear window. I remember you appear to have had the feeling be being surrounded by higher sides perhaps than the Minor but it was a cosy protective feeling. If only I could have moth balled that car from all those years ago.
Later on in a few years I could not refuse the chance of buying an Old English White Minor 1000 convertible in the mid 1960,s . To make a choice between which was liked better, they both would have equal marksfront suspension . The Austins had coil spring based front suspension as opposed to the torsion bar based Minor front suspension. Both had the monocoque body so any substantial rusting issues for either make must of course be taken seroiusly in very equal terms. In most other respects its similar to most of the Minors basic features and components . (not least the famous Austin made A series engines ) The A30/A35s were after all intentionally marketed as Austins answer and direct rival to the Morris Minor. If I had the space and time I would love to own one again but would find it almost impossible to decide which one to take to any car event.
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Great little cars.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

did you buy the A35 then Mark?
mark t4
Minor Friendly

Post by mark t4 »

Hi everyone again and thanks for the comments about the A35s

Yes sid i now own the car but it is quite rough so not sure what too do yet because ive been made an offer for the number plate but have been told the car still needs an MOT before it can be sold even tho the car is MOT exempt

The car was put away in 1968 and didnt come out of the garage till last weekend! but wings sills and floor are bad :( and it didnt roll or
steer so a one owner low mileage car with a nice porsche related plate is going to give me a bit of a headache

Mark
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

That's a long time off the road.
Does it have a V5c and is it on the DVLA database. The DVLA like selling good reg numbers so worth checking online to see if the reg still belongs to your car.
Regards John
mark t4
Minor Friendly

Post by mark t4 »

Yes the VC5 is still with the car but when you type the reg number in on a DVLA website no car found comes up
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

At least that means the reg hasn't been sold. I don't understand the new rules, sometimes reg numbers are non transferable. Will be interested to see how you get on. If you do send any documents to the DVLA make sure you have copies.
Regards John.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Yes sid i now own the car but it is quite rough so not sure what too do yet because ive been made an offer for the number plate but have been told the car still needs an MOT before it can be sold even tho the car is MOT exempt
Hi,
This is correct, the car will need to be roadworthy and hold a current MOT, despite its exempt status, if you wish to sell the number plate.
Though having restored it wouldn't it be a shame to remove her original identity, especially as it will be 'after the fact' in terms of having to spend money to get her back on the road.
Sorry but I'm one of those that doesn't hold with all this identity theft. Unfortunately I don't see the DVLA legislating to end the practice whilst there's still a profit for them in it. :evil:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)