Light Bulb.

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
viewsonic1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Light Bulb.

Post by viewsonic1 »

Any electricians on here? My daughter has a bedside lamp shaped like an old fashioned film camera and made of metal. The label on the shade says the golf ball bulb is to be a maximum of 25w, however, I can only source a 28w bulb. Would this be ok to use?
Thanks.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Re: Light Bulb.

Post by Myrtles Man »

I'm not an electrician (sorry!) but for what it may be worth I'm pretty sure that the wattage limitation is in regard to the amount of heat that the bulb generates and, on that basis, I wouldn't have thought that an additional 3 watts would make a whole lot of difference. Stick a 28 watter in it and see what cooks!
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Buy an LED equivalent , hardly any heat generated and less current drawn. Should be 100% OK.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

3 watts extra won't hurt. In the past I've frequently used 60 watt tungsten bulbs in table-lamps where the fabric shades are rated at 40 watt maximum. Never had a problem. I'm in the process of changing all the bulbs in the house to LED at present. Dimmable LEDs are proving a bit problematic. It's an expensive exercise and it'll take ages to recoup the outlay through energy saved. All the new LEDs installed indoors so far are brighter and of course cooler than the tungsten or halogen bulbs they've replaced.
1956 4-door called Max
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

Thanks for the replies. I've put the bulb in and will be monitoring it.