Can this be true

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Can this be true

Post by Blaketon »

I was told recently, that a Range Rover fitter had said that with them now using wireless controls, it is now possible for a car, with a "Bug", to infect a similar one, if they are parked next to each other. There was a time when I wouldn't have believed designers could be so daft but I'm not so sure anymore.......especially as it was claimed that a certain ex pop star was amongst the design team; that would really give me confidence to buy one :roll: .

I recently had cause to drive a small Citreon and the controls on that seemed to have a mind of their own. For example, when we parked and released the seat belts, the engine started, at another point the radio came on as we were driving along and then even changed stations. I didn't wish to distract myself with the touch screen panel but I was able to quickly turn the volume right down and I left it at that. More worrying was when the left hand indicator wouldn't stop. I was on the point of pulling over when a bit of twiddling, with the stick, did the trick. Finally, I was stopped at traffic lights and the thing cut out, just as I wanted to pull off. I knew it had this system where it would cut out when you stopped but I had kept the revs up a bit to override that. All this from a 19 plate car. Hence you can see why I don't dismiss the Range Rover tale as nonsense.

If ever I want a 4WD, it will be a Series 3 Land Rover!!!
Banned User
Minor Fan

Re: Can this be true

Post by Banned User »

I’ve asked someone who will know for sure. I’ll let you know his response later, probably once he’s stopped laughing.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

For those who aren't sure of the identity of the (former) pop star referred to, you'd have to really really want a Range Rover. And you wouldn't want to bend it like Beckham.... 😊
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Ok, apparently Fiat Chrysler introduced a security gateway after some hackers managed to switch off a Jeep while it was in motion, that was back in2015.

But yes you’re correct that Posh Spice was involved in the design of the interior of the Evoque.

JLR have over the air updates for various functions. But a Range Rover with a bug can’t infect another vehicle, no matter where it’s parked.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

PoolGuy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:38 am ...a Range Rover with a bug can’t infect another vehicle, no matter where it’s parked.
Maybe not but I once had a Vauxhall Victor with the rust bug that appeared to infect many other cars nearby! 8)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

A series 3 Land Rover? No, the rot had set in by then, you need one earlier than that. When they started fitting plastic dashboards to the landy, that was when we lost the empire!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I recently had cause to drive a small Citreon and the controls on that seemed to have a mind of their own. For example, when we parked and released the seat belts, the engine started, at another point the radio came on as we were driving along and then even changed stations. I didn't wish to distract myself with the touch screen panel but I was able to quickly turn the volume right down and I left it at that. More worrying was when the left hand indicator wouldn't stop. I was on the point of pulling over when a bit of twiddling, with the stick, did the trick. Finally, I was stopped at traffic lights and the thing cut out, just as I wanted to pull off. I knew it had this system where it would cut out when you stopped but I had kept the revs up a bit to override that. All this from a 19 plate car. Hence you can see why I don't dismiss the Range Rover tale as nonsense.
Terminator: The Rise of Machines...………………………… :lol:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Blaketon wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:32 am
I recently had cause to drive a small Citreon and the controls on that seemed to have a mind of their own. .......
I've has problems recently with my 60 plate Ford Kuga. A couple of times the Engine malfunction warning has illuminated with no obvious signs of anything actually wrong, and simply pulling over, switch off, count to 10 and restart and the warning has stayed clear. Subsequent to that, I noticed on a couple of starts that the headlights were briefly coming on during the start sequence, just for a second or two. Something they have never done before....
Then, it let me down with a flat battery when I'd been going somewhere and stopped for something in the village on my way out, only 2 minutes after starting it. Came back to it and Click, Click, Click...

I've now recharged the battery for 24 hours and have got the green indicator in the little window on the battery with 12.34v steady reading.

But the question is why would a low battery cause the headlights to come on whilst starting? Absolutely barking mad that an excessive drop in terminal voltage causes the lights to get a supply from somewhere.....

Been out for a test drive this afternoon and all now seems fine.
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

A low battery can cause all sorts of troubles on a modern car. It caused the power steering to die on mine :roll: . Also, modern batteries can suddenly "go". If the battery is of unknown age or more than 3 years old and it gives any further trouble I suggest simply buying a new one. They are not all that expensive :wink:
beero
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by beero »

Quote "A series 3 Land Rover? No, the rot had set in by then, you need one earlier than that. When they started fitting plastic dashboards to the landy, that was when we lost the empire!"

When they got rid of the galvanised mesh Radiator grille and moved the headlights to the wings, that's when the rot had set in for me!

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I can well believe the above issues. A friend of mine told me he had been driving some new-fangled motor vehicle or other and it kept trying to take over the steering! :o
beware - soon the machines will control us completely!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:01 pm A low battery can cause all sorts of troubles on a modern car. It caused the power steering to die on mine :roll: . Also, modern batteries can suddenly "go". If the battery is of unknown age or more than 3 years old and it gives any further trouble I suggest simply buying a new one. They are not all that expensive :wink:
I tend to agree. Having been driving it for some miles, the 'green indicator' on the batter is no longer showing....but I know it's taking some 4-6 amps when charging.
Basil the 1955 series II

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

beero wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:41 pm Quote "A series 3 Land Rover? No, the rot had set in by then, you need one earlier than that. When they started fitting plastic dashboards to the landy, that was when we lost the empire!"

When they got rid of the galvanised mesh Radiator grille and moved the headlights to the wings, that's when the rot had set in for me!
That was at the start of Series 3. So I gather, a number of people didn't like the new plastic grille, as it could no longer be used for a barbecue in the bush.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Working for the Coal Board, Opencast, in the early’70’s, we used land rovers to the limit of their ability. We were basically quarrying coal and the mines were no place for wimps. Windscreens got shattered a lot and the local garage just used to cut new ones for us and replace them while you waited. Think they used window glass.
I remember that the mining contractors bought a fleet of early Diahatsu 4x4s. They were much more reliable than the landys but less capable in the mud and had a very narrow wheelbase . Quite scary things in deep ruts.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

They used to use Land Rovers and Ford Transits in the salt mines in Northwich Cheshire most are still down there :o .Nowadays the mines are a dumping ground for old Batteries and other things .
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

A customer is a mining engineer but these days has to work abroad. Anyway he has worked in southen Africa and tells me that out there, the bigger Toyota Land Cruiser and Nissan Patrols are favoured. So he told me, the axles on them are much bigger than on the Land Rover and they are stronger. The Land Rover was built for British farms and it worked very well on many!! Horses for courses.

As to old mines, they will eventually close up, as they are under pressure from all sides; even the floor is trying to rise. The mining engineer told me that when he has been in areas, where coal mines have closed, sometimes they will dig up the old iron hoops but there is no sign of a tunnel. This clip should show Alan Titchmarsh under Cheshire, in the salt mines - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00bxf54 .
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

[quote=Blaketon post_id=647284 time=1577093689 user_id=2171

As to old mines, they will eventually close up, as they are under pressure from all sides; even the floor is trying to rise. The mining engineer told me that when he has been in areas, where coal mines have closed, sometimes they will dig up the old iron hoops but there is no sign of a tunnel. This clip should show Alan Titchmarsh under Cheshire, in the salt mines - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00bxf54 .
[/quote]

Yes, we used to encounter old mine workings frequently in our open pit sites. As the old workings collapsed the void would migrate towards the surface, eventually leading to subsidence.
We used to recover some interesting artefacts from abandoned workings, the best were donated to local museums.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I found that video very interesting :)