copper ? Wire

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

copper ? Wire

Post by Sleeper »

Dear All

Any budding electrical engineers/metallurgists/chemists etc out there? Hope you can help me?

Quite a while ago I bought on a well known auction site some twin , red/black copper wire for general use ,
speakers etc
2020_0112twinredblack0001.JPG
2020_0112twinredblack0001.JPG (69.74 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
All was well for a while till they went faulty...traced it to the wiring and both wires were faulty , so replaced them...all was well for a while again till....
So , after ripping the wiring out again , had a closer look at the cable and it seemed the copper wire was " disintegrating " for want of a better word , which brings me back to a problem a couple of years ago when I had problems sealing hydraulic fittings , mult-ipacks of various copper O rings were found to be steel , copper plated , so now I carry with me a small magnet....won't be caught out again!!

Back to the copper ? wire , how can one tell if it is copper wire or as suspected copper plated aluminium wire ?

Thanks

John
dp
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: copper ? Wire

Post by dp »

Buy from reputable sources Eg VehicleWiringProducts or carbuildersolutions.

In terms of what you're stuck with, sandpapering the ends will reveal the colour underneath.
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Thank you..

Have found the solution..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL5VUYe_uX8

John ;-)
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Not copper, but brass - years ago I bought a whole load of (fairly expensive) solid brass screws also off a well known auction site, since I was fed up of steel going rusty.

They looked good, they looked like brass - years later I was using one and the hole was slightly too small as when I turned the screw in, it ground off the brass to reveal steel underneath :(

As I've just ordered copper speaker wire from the same auction site (before seeing this thread) I can't help but wonder now what metal it'll be made of since it was very-very cheap :D
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Looks like we all need to keep a pocket knife , cigarette lighter and magnet in our pockets when out shopping ...

It's a jungle out there.....

John :-?