The truth will out

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

The truth will out

Post by les »

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: The truth will out

Post by Sleeper »

...or even Brexit

..or even the Conservative landslide

John :lol:
john newton
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by john newton »

cynical as alway,s covid 19 is doing what it was made to do.reduce population,our biggest elephant in the room. think about it. cheery regards. john.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I have been thinking about it for years, John! Now the folly of unsustainable population growth is laid bare........ :(
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Apparently the Black Death caused about 25 million people in total, although stretching for years, and
that’s when there were relatively fewer people about. It appears China Is in the frame for that one too.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Of course, they had no idea of what caused The Black Death back then and had little idea of how to deal with it - apart from running/hiding from the infected. Today, the bacterium (Yersinia pestis) which transmitted the disease from rats to humans would be treated with anti-biotics (although bacteria are now becoming resistent to such treatment). Viruses are rather harder to deal with, particularly when they keep mutating into different forms. Even in the C14th, transmission was quick along travel routes but now, with so many people travelling the globe every day, a contagious disease can cause a global pandemic very quickly. The Black Death only infected Eurasia, not the whole world.Even so, The Black Death is estimated to have killed 30% to 60% of Europe's population....
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

This is just what I needed to cheer me up.
[img]jpg[/img]
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Just shows we should ban all forms for air travel and also reduce the pollution that is always blamed on cars.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

There are still boats landing full of immigrants possibly bringing the virus with them :evil:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

There are still boats landing full of immigrants possibly bringing the virus with them :evil:
Yes but imagine the outcry from the hand-wringing liberal-left brigade if we said they had to go elsewhere (home maybe?).......
We'd never here the end of it!
They'd be nagging us from here to kingdom-come about our evil prejudices and how we're all far right xenophobic fanatics, who need to re-evaluate our lives and submit to their will, because they always know best, etc. etc. etc..............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztt!!
Oh, sorry, they do this anyway....................... :roll: :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

With at least 21 miles of water, between us and France, we should have been well placed to keep the virus at bay. However it was allowed in by boat and aeroplane. We seem to have forgotten the lessons taught us by rabies. As an example of stupidity, is has to be one of the best.

I am aware that pollution levels are said to be down and I have said, for a long time, that too many people are travelling too far, too often, with air travel being a particularly profligate example of this. The trouble is that whilst being "Green" is trendy, to most it's OK so long as it doesn't cause too much inconvenience or cramp your style. Since vanity is the world's most popular hobby, the latter cannot be permitted and sending post cards (Or making Facebook posts), from supposedly exotic locations, is part of this :roll: .

Oddly enough, my carbon footprint has only really been reduced by one car journey (Increased to the tune of some face masks, hand wipes, a bit more soap and Domestos). My MG Midget has now come in from the cold, so far as tax exemption is concerned and I had planned to take the log book to the Post Office on April Fools Day (Bad omen it now seems), tax it and (Weather permitting) go for a run. Well the weather was fine but it didn't quite work out!! I have sent the log book to the DVLA but the car is still shown as SORN. I'm still working and still cycling to work (Staying over some nights, which I am fortunate to be able to do). However, I am getting food from the work end and taking it home, hand to mouth, so as to mean I don't go out at all when home. My route to work is remote and my times are what you might call unsocial. I'm quite near finishing off my father's MG Midget and we'll have to see which comes first, end of restrictions or me finishing the car. I hope there's not an over eagerness to end the restrictions too soon.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

gtt1951 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:42 pm Just shows we should ban all forms for air travel and also reduce the pollution that is always blamed on cars.
Especially old cars :evil: . I'd tell any "Milkfloat" driver to bring their vehicle back in fifty years (And some looking at those cars) and then talk sustainability. The trouble is, now people have a euphemistic "Reason" to buy a new car. Rather than outdoing the neighbours, they now say they are trying to save the planet. I should think there's enough hot air, from that alone, equivalent to running an XJ12 for 50000 miles!!!
dp
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by dp »

I have a theory that the amount of lecturing others about environment is directly proportional to the amount of air travel one takes. Woke Hollywood A listers & Princes Harry & Charles taking private jets to environmental conferences being at the top of the pile.

Private jets make a significant contribution to environmental damage - especially for the amount of people transported. To put it another way, banning private planes would be a quick win environmentally while inconveniencing only a few thousand people worldwide. The fact that your annual holiday to the Canaries on a 737 is in the crosshairs of Extinction Rebellion and not private jets is very telling.
Maurice_Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Maurice_Minor »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:11 pm Of course, they had no idea of what caused The Black Death back then and had little idea of how to deal with it - apart from running/hiding from the infected. Today, the bacterium (Yersinia pestis) which transmitted the disease from rats to humans would be treated with anti-biotics (although bacteria are now becoming resistent to such treatment). Viruses are rather harder to deal with, particularly when they keep mutating into different forms. Even in the C14th, transmission was quick along travel routes but now, with so many people travelling the globe every day, a contagious disease can cause a global pandemic very quickly. The Black Death only infected Eurasia, not the whole world.Even so, The Black Death is estimated to have killed 30% to 60% of Europe's population....
The problem in the past was we were just plain filthy. Even as late as the 19th Century, angry doctors formed a rabid mob & dragged physician & scientist, Ignaz Semmelweis to an institution for the criminally insane. His crime? He suggested it might be prudent for obstetricians, after hacking up cadavers, might deign to wash their hands before delivering babies. When these pig headed fools eventually followed his advice, the spread of lethal puerperal fever amongst expectant mothers plunged below 1%.
However they still kept him under lock & key.
In recent years research has found that the Black Death was actually caused by infected body lice. If the peasants had simply boiled their clothes the disease wouldn't have spread. The first wave of BD occurred between 1346 to 1353 & killed half the population. Interestingly, the 2nd wave, 1665-1666 killed a fraction of that number because of herd immunity & today we still carry antibodies for this foul pestilence.
Everybody knows about Dr Edward Jenner's discovery in 1795 that a smidgen of cowpox pus rendered people immune to Smallpox, but few know of the 1850 "Leicester Method" a protocol of disinfection at the sites of Smallpox cases which stopped the disease in its tracks. So the combination of disinfection AND inoculation finished off Smallpox for good, although it must be said that this virus only learned to infect humans so it was easy to eradicate.
In 1918 we had the H1N1 Spanish Flu which rampaged across the world. It is believed to have been brought into Europe by workers from N.China who were employed to dig trenches. As we all know, the Chinese do have a predilection for handling wild fowl & presumably the virus jumped species at some point. In 1918 soldiers from all over the Commonwealth & the US were fighting in the foul filth of the trenches & after armistice they dispersed everywhere incubating the virus.
Between 50-90 million died. I have read the diaries of the doctors at the time & I can assure you, none were inclined to form a troupe & choreograph dances. One wrote, "They arrive in droves with hacking coughs, they are turned black by cyanosis (Skin discolouration due to lack of O2) I could handle a few dying, but hundreds per day, it's too much."
They were totally traumatised. I won't even start on the mountains of the dead piled up on street corners & in cemeteries.
Today, hygiene, sanitation, clean water, diet, living conditions & modern medicine are now making us quite difficult to kill. If there is a plan to depopulate us by some kind of weaponised pathogen they'd have to "prime" us in some way first to be receptive to the pathogen.

PS A word about virus "variants". Every time a virus replicates itself, it makes a copy of itself in your cells & during this process can make a typographical error amongst the thousands of letters & numbers in its code. To our Immune System its akin to trying to disguise yourself to your wife or husband by putting on a baseball cap. To our 200m year old Immune System a variant in most cases is of little interest.
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Wow, a post more than 2 years after the last entry!
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

les wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:19 pm No surprise really.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/19/heal ... index.html
When I was a policeman I found “coincidences” difficult to ignore. Such things were rarely matters of coincidence.

The fact that there’s a biological research lab at the original epicentre of the outbreak is, in my view, not a coincidence.

Therefore the question in my mind is whether it was released accidentally or on purpose, and if the latter then why? The part of me that believes in human decency wants it to have been an accident. We will likely never know.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

————if, of course it came from this laboratory. All these places have tight controls, and regards intending a release, who would gain from that. There’s enough evidence about to say, if we abuse nature in any manner, we pay the price.