5 Link rear end

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
shoebone
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

5 Link rear end

Post by shoebone »

I like the idea of a 5 link rear end ... I have a late pick up with a rotten chassis, its not going to get through the next MOT so I'm planning on fabricating a new chassis soon, confident I can put something together that is going to be strong and have all the attachment points in the correct place ... and then I thought I could fabricate a 5 link rear end, ... so ... just wondered ... if i'm clever with measuring/cutting/welding, I cant see any problem with making an unadjustable setup using polyurethane bushes to keep costs down ... talking about it last night in the pub it was a brilliant idea :wink: easy to think/write about it but have I missed something?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Should be fine - there were some pics on a thread recently. I assume you mean upper and lower trailing arms - and a Panhard rod ?
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Julesgti
Minor Friendly

Trailing arms

Post by Julesgti »

HI,
I've got some trailing arms from a 124 Sport. The 124 Sport has three trailing arms and are approx 2in in diameter. Two go either side of the rear axle for front/rear travel and there is another bar for any sideways movement. I also have the axle if interested.

Regards,

Jules :D
Julesgti
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hmmm - interesting - what stops the axle rotating ? Or are these 'arms' - so large and so mounted that they are supposed to contain the rotational forces ? The 'sideways' bar is the Panhard rod. Has to be as long as possible and carefully mounted to minimise the forced sideways movement as the axle rises and falls - and the bar swings in an arc. Watts linkage (see Rover SD1) is better!
ImageImage
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello BMCE,

have you seen the MK 2 Jaguar panhard rod, it is very short goes from one spring hanger to the differential!
Certainly a Watt linkage is better but takes a bit of packaging.

Sometimes a simple 4 link with one pair angled is effective, like your TR7, and as used on the original Mk 1 Lotus Cortina.

Alec
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed - my TR7 has no Panhard - but the Works did add one for rallying! The SD1 uses the same axle - and similar trailing arms (although not so angled) and the Watts linkage. It's actually pretty neat - just two arms and pivot point on the back of the diff casing. I believe some have adapted it to their TR7s. The original Lotus Cortina had a proper A frame I believe ? I keep looking under any I find at shows - but they all seem to be leaf spring cars.
ImageImage
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello BMCE,

Yes, very many were converted back due to problems with the set up.

From the remarks about the SD1, it seems that Rover dropped the De Dion set up of the earlier (p6?) models? A good set up but rather complicated and epensive to make I suppose.

Alec
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

More likely I think that 2 door Cortinas have been 'converted' to Lotus spec! Although later Lotus cars were indeed on leaf springs - the A frame was ok for racing but not strong enough for rallying. Yes the P6 De Dion was not carried through to the SD1.
ImageImage
shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

Thanks for comments people, thats encouraging, I'll have a go and let you know how it turns out. going to be a little while though, moving house right now.
BigDawgV8
Minor Fan

Post by BigDawgV8 »

Shoebone,
I've got a 5-link on the back of my Pick-up (all new chassis. suspension and engine).
I could e-mail you a pic or 2 if you want?
Let me know.
Cheers
Martin :D :wink:
MMOC Nationals Custom Class Winner 2011!
1966 V8 Convertible now reborn

jonathon
Minor Legend

5 link

Post by jonathon »

Here's a pick of our 5 link kit with a Watts linkage
<br>Image<br><br>Image<br>

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I like it!
ImageImage
PSL184
Minor Legend

Re: 5 link

Post by PSL184 »

jonathon wrote:Here's a pick of our 5 link kit with a Watts linkage
Show off :-)

ps - you've got a loose bolt in there.... :roll:
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

^^^ what are ya! :roll: :lol:

shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

Hey BigDawg, I'll PM you my email so you can send pickies .. or you could just put them on here, ... It was after last years national when I asked you exactly what colour your convertible is ... seem to have a habit of stealing your ideas, but thats because I like them. I also like the idea of doing it myself, very satisfiying, however, when my lottery numbers come up its jonathon I'll be contacting. Could you imagine an open cheque and the longest wish list ever
carlt
Minor Friendly

Post by carlt »

4 link and panhard = 5 link
4 link and watts = 6 link ?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed! Well spotted. Could argue 7 links - if you include the swinging 'rocker' link on the back of the diff.
ImageImage