fitting a ford z-tech in a morris

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
morrisminormad
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

fitting a ford z-tech in a morris

Post by morrisminormad »

hi i am thinking about putting a ford z tech into a morris and i wondered what sort of carbs i could use insted of the ECU i know you have to use bike carbs but i did't know what sort . i also would like to know whet i would have to fadricate so it would fir.

thanks kieran :D
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

are they not all front wheel drive,would say majour modification needed
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Why don't you want to use the fuel injection? If you can knock up a circuit board you can build a Megasquirt to replace the existing ECU with a fully programmable substitute. It might also be possible to use the existing ECU. Or you could buy a pre-programmed ECU.

Also think about what you might need to do to make the zetec fit the engine bay.

For bike carbs look here to get started

http://www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/page/tot ... feature_in

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=55760
paulk
Minor Legend

Post by paulk »

are they not all front wheel drive,would say majour modification needed

Not too bad as I believe the type 9 gearbox fits but still serious work with everything else, engine mounts, Radiator et al
Paulk

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/paulk235/DSCF0807.jpg[/img]
1959 2dr Milly
Has now sat in back garden for 5 years :(
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com/
jonathon
Minor Legend

zetec

Post by jonathon »

Here are two of several we have fitted.
Its a straight forward fit, but requires heavy modification of the bulkhead X member, and chassis area around the steering rack. You can use the std Ford injection or as we have T/bodies (the former more than adequate 132bhp in 2L guise) The type 9 and its bell housing are a direct fit.
The expense comes with the sump mods and the water rail. There are several companies who offer these , we have opred for Raceline items as they are the best product, but more costly.
Do not buy old Zetecs new ones with a 12 month warranty can be had for silly money and are cheaper than rebuilding or freshening up a used one.
I have pics of all the work needed to fit this motor should you require them.
Personally I cannot see the attraction of carbs for an engine so well suited to injection, which is more user friendly ,extremely reliable, and very efficient.

.<br>Image<br>

<br>Image<br><br>Image<br>
Last edited by jonathon on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

morrisminormad
Minor Friendly

Post by morrisminormad »

the reason i don't want to use the fuel injection because apparently it is Easier to use the bike karbs than the fuel injection system
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Think I'd disagree with that. The carbs require a bespoke manifold, and constant setting up, they may be efficient on a bike, (1100-1300cc) but not always able to deliver the requirements of a 2.0L motor. Why mess with what Ford spent millions on. :D

Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

I'm not sure I would go down that route but if I did, I think I'd fit Weber DCOE or Dellorto DHLA.

So far I think people who have fitted modern engines have been able to do so with no questions asked. However, I have a feeling that things could get tighter and the owners of such vehicles could find themselves on Q plates and subject to more and more legislation and red tape.
Last edited by Blaketon on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morrisminormad
Minor Friendly

Post by morrisminormad »

whats a type 9
i have newer done this befour
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Type 9 is the RWD Ford gearbox as found in the Sierra and Capri.

Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Johnathon. There looks to be a lot of engine forward of the front 'axle' I know it's an alloy unit and the A was cast iron but is there more or less mass forward of the front wheels that with an original lump?
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

Peetee wrote:Johnathon. There looks to be a lot of engine forward of the front 'axle' I know it's an alloy unit and the A was cast iron but is there more or less mass forward of the front wheels that with an original lump?
I wondered about that - if it wasn't an issue, my Traveller would have an MGB engine (Not modified - it just pulls so well) but I don't want to upset the balance of the car. A blown 1300 A Series sounds like a good compromise - a supercharger might be best but a turbo might be more sensible.

I think the only way to fit these bigger engines, is to do major surgery on the bulkhead and move the engine back.
Last edited by Blaketon on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Its about the same,(it is a cast block with alloy head) and ideally yes it should be further back, but compromises have to be made. There is no understeer due to the weight or heavier steering, but then we are not running std front suspension.
The K series was brill as an install being 16Kilo's less than the A series.

dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

morrisminormad wrote:the reason i don't want to use the fuel injection because apparently it is Easier to use the bike karbs than the fuel injection system
It's easier to fit bike carbs to a system that never had injection but if the engine already has F.I. fitted then there isn't much to fit. Or more accurately there isn't much to make fit. You'd probably need a fuel return line, high pressure fuel pump and that'd be it.

Type 9 gearbox is just the 5 speed box fitted to Sierras. most Ford engines and gearboxes have matching bolt patterns so you can mix and match. Note JLH's comments on sump though.
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Blaketon wrote:I'm not sure I would go down that route but if I did, I think I'd fit Weber DCOE or Dellorto DHLA.

So far I think people who have fitted modern engines have been able to do so with no questions asked. However, I have a feeling that things could get tighter and the owners of such vehicles could find themselves on Q plates and subject to more and more legislation and red tape.
I think the legislation is going towards the engine having to match the emission regulations of its year of production. Fit a 2009 engine and you'll have to pass 2009 emissions. If this is the case, best to stick to F.I. as it'll be possible to get cleaner emissions than '60s designed Webers and Dellortos or bike carbs.

Bike carb design evolved up to about 2000 and technically appear to be an evolution of Strombergs. The pros are they are cheaper (but creeping up in price!) even with the manifold made up. Probably £80 to £100 for carbs, £200 for a manifold made to suit.

Cons are that not so many people know how to tune bike carbs and it's not well documented. But there's only one jet to fiddle with and it's compatible with a Weber DGV jet. So you can get pretty close before you go to the rolling road.
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

As Jonathon put it soo well- why alter something that Ford spent millions developing. There must be enough zetecs in the yards now to get an FI system for you NEW engine (please, Jonathon, what is silly money, I'm curious? £1k ish?)
If you want to fiddle, put better throttle bodies on and tinker with the mapping, much more likely to work well than re-re-inventing the wheel, if you follow :-?
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

You are looking at between £650 and £850 depending on where you buy. This includes the alternator, clutch/flywheel and the injection system. The injectors alone are worth £100.
Unfortunately the expensive bit is the conversion, we go for quality and proven track record from the best in the business. However there are cheaper routes if you go DiY.
We should be releasing an entry level 140bhp engine package soon, which will rival the cost of a well sorted 1275cc based motor, but with ultra reliability, smooth power delivery and up to 50mpg.

jonathon
Minor Legend

zetec

Post by jonathon »

Here are a few pics of the Zetec on carbs and T/bodies, this time in an Anglia,plus one in a Marina TC .

<br>Image<br>

<br>Image<br>

dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

That Marina,

Any idea what the panel on the right of the picture is? I can see that the brakes woudl go there on a LHD car but am curious what it's otherwise used for

Cheers
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

I think you are correct Darren, I'll have a look tomorrow