HIF44 Choke operation

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chrisryder
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

HIF44 Choke operation

Post by chrisryder »

Hi there,

Being the inquisitive guy that i am, i set about taking apart the HIF44 i have knocking around, as i've never had any experience with the HIF series.

The trouble is, with the carb apart, when i move the choke lever on the side, nothing seems to happen... the jet doesn't move down or anything. Is it broken? or am i missing something?

this carb has come off a car that was running, although whenever i tried to start it, it took lots of attempts. Is that a clue that the choke hasn't been working?

Is there meant to be an arm inside the float chamber that moves the jet down when you pull the choke?

If anyone's got any advice, or pictures of what it should look like, i'd really appreciate it!
PSL184
Minor Legend

Re: HIF44 Choke operation

Post by PSL184 »

Does this help ?
[frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

PSL184 wrote:Does this help ?
Thanks for the picture, I recognise most of the bits! still can't see anything that looks like it connects the choke lever to the jet!
David Sharp
Minor Friendly

Post by David Sharp »

Surely the choke on the HIF44 is the butterfly valve? The jet on this type of carb is fixed and does not move when the choke is operated .This is the case with mine.
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i'm not sure, that's why i asked! the only adjustment of the jet that i could see is the screw that minutely moves the jet up and down. i did notice that the cam on the choke level opened the throttle butterfly a lot more than it seems to on movable jet type su's.

so all the choke does on an HIF carb is open the throttle slightly?
David Sharp
Minor Friendly

Post by David Sharp »

Total brain failure! Please ignore my last posting.The HIF44 is a type of concentric carb.and I'll get back to you when I've collected my thoughts - although "someone"will probably beat me to it!
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »

Choke on a hif is separate from the main jet, when operated the extra fuel is drawn up through a separate fuel circuit in the choke mechanism . the snail cam is just to open the throttle slightly to bring up the idle speed
[sig]7538[/sig]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

thanks Mogwai, i was worried it had bits missing or broken!

when i took the jet out i noticed machined grooves (2 or 3, i can't remember!) near the top of the jet. When i did some googling last night, there were some things about choke seals. there aren't meant to be o-rings on those grooves are there?