custom register

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MarkyB
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: custom register

Post by MarkyB »

The actual club, the members, is a very broad church and welcomes anyone who likes, and has an interest in the cars.

This clearly doesn't apply to some of the people who run the club, and those that organise the national rally.

Time is very much on the side of the young members, all this will be yours in due course, all you have to do is wait and keep the faith.

When it is, resist the temptation to pay lip service to what people are asking for!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
cmea
Minor Friendly

Post by cmea »

LouiseM wrote:
Robins wrote:Then maybe someone should pick up the PHONE and ring the chap!! or have people forgotten how this is done!
Exactly! Members don't need 'permission' from the committee to do this, they just need to be a bit proactive themselves. His number is published in the club directory of Registers so there's nothing to stop anyone who wants to know what's happening with the Register, put forward suggestions, or volunteer to help out, from contacting him. I've contacted the committee member responsible for branch/register liaison to make them aware of the comments here regarding the lack of activity on the Custom & Modified Register, and advised that someone has volunteered to help out or take over, but the actual contacting of the current Register holder to find out what's going on can be done by anyone. That's why the Register contacts are published and made accessible to all members - you don't need to be a committee member to pick up a phone and make some enquiries! If the current Register holder wishes to stand down then steps can be taken to appoint a replacement but somebody needs to find out what he wants to do first. As I've already said, I'll raise this at the Branch liaison meeting next month but in the meantime there's nothing to stop anyone with an interest from contacting the Register holder to find out what's happening with it and volunteering to help.
Louise, I appreciate you are trying to help, but you fail to appreciate that that is exactly what some of us have done (well me for one anyway) and when I couldn't get through on the phone (as well as by post and e-mail) I queried with the Club officials and was just told the contact details for the Custom were as published in the magazine which left me back at square one (just like this thread). Since then I have let my membership expire as the club has failed to fulfil my requirements (a custom / modified branch / section as advertised in their magazine) - which means that for over a year I was unable to get a response. Since then I have found an excellent website that caters for my needs, is friendly and welcoming and answers my questions.
It appears to me that if the club want to keep its custom / modified members it needs to do something about its committee decision making process. And if ALL the committee were at the National Rally why was this issue not sorted out then? Or perhaps the committee did not realise that the Custom / Modified Register committee member was not present as he is normally shoved in the corner of the field out of the way!

I think I have explained why I am no longer a member and just hope the club manages to sort this issue out before it looses more members.

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

cmea: I was highlighting the fact that no one seems to want to volunteer to do anything.

The Club Registers are not run or managed by a committee - they are run by volunteers. The purpose of a Register is to offer help and advice to members with a similar interest. Most of the Club Registers are aimed at ‘minority’ vehicles eg Millions, ex-police vehicles, series MM, ex-government cars. The exception is the young members register which was set up fairly recently to cater for those under 30 with an interest in Minors of any type. Registers manage themselves and arrange their own events, rallies etc - the Club doesn’t organise these.

The Custom & Modified Registers were merged in 2007 and at that time had a total of just 50 members between them. Prior to that they had been in existence separately for over 20 years. When the Custom & Modified Registers were first set up by the Club no doubt they were ‘minority’ vehicles but times have changed. People have posted here saying that "customising Minors really isn't a big scene" and others have pointed out that large numbers of Minors now have some sort of modification.

I’ve read the posts from people stating that the Club is “anti-modifications” yet you see modified Minors at every Minor rally and plenty of people on here and in the various branches own them. As has been already pointed out, in a car club with 13,000 members not everyone is going to like the same thing. This isn’t something unique to the MMOC - other car clubs have members who have a preference for standard or modified or concours. People are entitled to their opinions but to suggest that an entire Club membership all think the same is ridiculous. The Club is for all Minor enthusiasts, regardless of the type that they own (or even if they don’t own one) and the events & rallies organised by the Club are open to all.

A couple of people have posted messages suggesting that the lack of an active Custom & Modified Register is ‘evidence’ that the Club is anti-modifications but it seems to me from the posts here that the Custom & Modified Register has ‘died a death’ through lack of support from it’s members, not because of any ‘negativity’ towards modified cars by the Club. Julian (the current Register holder) posted back in March 2009 saying that although in the beginning he had received a number of calls from like minded owners:
I have not received any pm's or phone calls from anyone regarding the register. My telephone number is in the MMOC handbook which people are more than welcome to contact me.

In October 2009 he posted a message suggesting that the Register attended some events in 2010 and listed a number of possible options. Only 11 people showed an interest and responded. Despite several requests, only one person has volunteered to help run the Custom & Modified Register. There were no particular requirements necessary, just a willingness to help out. As for the National Rally, a request here for volunteers to help out with marshalling etc resulted in just one response.

Perhaps those with modified cars don’t feel the need to add their name to a Register any more, or attend events which are limited to only custom or modified Minors?

This Custom & Modified forum is for anyone to use, whether they are members of the Custom & Modified Register or not or a member of the club or not. It is the busiest of the Register forums on this site and has frequent postings from members who own custom or modified Minors. In addition, postings relating to modifications are also posted elsewhere on the messageboard - they are not just confined to this forum. As can be seen from reading the postings, there is no negativity here with regards to custom or modified cars, all are welcome.

Having read through the posts I don’t really know what it is that people want. No one seems to want to organise or attend events, and only one person has volunteered to help to run the Register. A Register doesn't just need volunteers to run it, it needs support from it's members. I’m happy to raise this issue at the branch liaison meeting but it would be useful if people posted some constructive comments about what they actually want.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
moggyman64
Minor Friendly

Post by moggyman64 »

Hi Louise,

Following on from my earlier post in this thread, I am confused as to what exactly the club does for the subscription fees we pay each year. The club is a profit making organisation and on that basis we the members are paying for persons to run the club. The club commitee are are being paid to do a job. Unfortunately they are not evenly spreading the efforts between all the classes of cars. It annoys me that when we raise our concerns about issues in our class all we get told is that we dont take part in organising our own register events, so its our fault now is it? That is your opinion too. My opinion is that the club should put in some effort by arranging events for us to attend, and if that was done then it would be our responsibility to turn up and support the event. But the commitee have made it quite clear that they are just going to keep taking our subscription fees and do nothing to justify why they are entitled to the said fees.
Over the years I have been a member of many various types of clubs, and each and every club took the initiative in organising events throughout the year to enable members to take part, once arranged then the club may ask for some help from members to take part in organisation etc., To me this is what a club commitee is all about. Aside from the events arranged by a club, members can arrange their own get togethers etc.
So please stop waffling on about the members in custom and modified classes not arranging our own events. If the club are not prepared to do what is required in order to accommodate ALL members then they should stop taking fees and run the club as a non profit making organisation, then we might not have so much to complain about.

This thread is here for all the commitee members to read but they cannot even be bothered to acknowledge our concerns or post a reply. That says it all to me.

Regards

Keith
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by millerman »

Louise, maybe this could be raised at the Club Liaison Meeting?
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

moggyman64 wrote: Unfortunately they are not evenly spreading the efforts between all the classes of cars. It annoys me that when we raise our concerns about issues in our class all we get told is that we dont take part in organising our own register events, so its our fault now is it? That is your opinion too. My opinion is that the club should put in some effort by arranging events for us to attend, and if that was done then it would be our responsibility to turn up and support the event.
Keith - I'm not sure what you're getting at. The Club already arranges events for all members, and all types of Minors, to attend. Are you saying that you want specific events to be organised solely for custom & modified owners, to the exclusion of other types of Minors? Surely that would be divisive? Same as if the club organised an event solely for those with standard Minors. All Registers organise their own events, why should the Custom & Modified Register be treated any differently? Surely it would be better if all Registers were treated exactly the same and the running was left up to the Register members?
Over the years I have been a member of many various types of clubs, and each and every club took the initiative in organising events throughout the year to enable members to take part, once arranged then the club may ask for some help from members to take part in organisation etc.

But that's my point! Events are organised and when a request for volunteers is put out little response is received. The National Rally was organised by the Club yet only one person here responded to a request for assistance. When the Register holder tried to organise an event he got just 11 responses and no offers to help out.
millerman wrote:Louise, maybe this could be raised at the Club Liaison Meeting?
I've already said that I'll raise it, I'm just trying to clarify what exactly to raise! People seem to be blaming the 'club' for not having an active Custom & Modified Register yet all of the Registers are run by volunteer club members and only one person so far has volunteered to help out. When the current Register holder asked for ideas & suggestions, and tried to organise events, he received little response. You can't expect just one person to organise everything, particularly when he gets just one response (to a post that had over 700 views!) when asking for ideas and suggestions.

People aren't mind readers. As I've already said, if people put forward some constructive comments with regards to what they want from a Custom & Modified Register, and show that they would support the Register, I'll put these forward at the meeting. At the moment all that's been posted are complaints that the Register isn't organising anything yet there has been little sign from previous posts here that the Register, or any events arranged, would be supported. And do people actually want the Club to change from organising events for all members, regardless of what type of Minor they own, to organising events for specific types of Minors only? Do people think this would be a good thing or divisive? I'm happy to put forward comments so please post some responses so that I have something constructive to put forward at the meeting.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
cmea
Minor Friendly

Post by cmea »

I could point out that the moaning and criticising is a two way thing here, but instead I will suggest a couple of things that could improve the situation and should be suggested higher up the chain to those in power to make decisions (even if those decisions do take in excess of a year to follow through). Reading though the threads it seems to me very clear what is wanted.
1. The club need to insure that if they are offering a service (even if it is run by volunteers) that the service is available. Having a Custom / Modified register advertised that has either incorrect or none existent points of contact can only damage the clubs reputation. Better to have no point of contact than one that dosnt work.
2. If asking for voluteers then the approach needs to be looked at
Kevin wrote: Unfortunately there does not seem to be anyone volunteering to take on the task within this posting....
but the volunteer will need to know what they are doing website wise and at least a serious interest in the register if not owning a suitable car themselves.
. It is not supriseing that you have only had one voluteer, I wonder if the other registers were fortunate enough to have volunteers with full knowledge of the website prior to commencing their posts or whether they volunteered and then picked up their knowledge on the way. Initial requests for volunteers should be unconditional, but should be clear in indicating what the volunteer is likely to be expected to achieve.
3. I suspect a similair thing occured with the national rally questionaires. If only a few returns were recieved from 600 given out then the club should be looking at addressing this. Why bother sending out a questionaire if you are content not to get feedback, unless it is only that you dont want to change things and want to convince yourself everything is running smoothly. No feedback should be seen as worse than feedback with suggestions / critisism upon which to improve.
4. I beleive that the Custom / Modified users / owners want to be treated equal to other memebers, if I had been treated equally I would still be a member.
LouiseM wrote: Keith - I'm not sure what you're getting at. The Club already arranges events for all members, and all types of Minors, to attend. Are you saying that you want specific events to be organised solely for custom & modified owners, to the exclusion of other types of Minors? Surely that would be divisive? Same as if the club organised an event solely for those with standard Minors. All Registers organise their own events, why should the Custom & Modified Register be treated any differently? Surely it would be better if all Registers were treated exactly the same and the running was left up to the Register members?
I think if you read the threads there is a common complaint that Custom cars get put into one corner of the field at MMOC orgaised rallies (as if dis-owned) if they are lucky enough to get a section of their own at all. how do the comittee justify this as treating all as equal.

I would appreciate it if the above points could be bought up at the next meeting - even better if they could be adressed or at least justified.
I appreciate that as I am not volunteering it is all my fault and I should have no reason to complain, but the the comittee needs to respect the fact that there are owners / enthusasts who do not go to shows (in my case due to other hobbies - sailing) and as a result these enthusiats rely on forums / registers to fulfil their passion. They might well be armchair enthusiasts but as mentioned the club should cater for all types. Surely the fact that the Custom modified forum is the most used indicates the need / desire for it. If it is the most used why is it the least cared for by the club (the fact that any comittee member is happy to allow the register with the most interest to be in disarray for so long is very poor). You only need to read the thread "Has the Custom register died?" to realise that it is worse than dead - it is in a coma and has been for a very long time.

bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

The next meeting of the committee is in October the day before the liaison meeting. I gather that the Custom and Modified Register was to be discussed at the Executive Committee meeting last week (after a request by LouiseM, but I have not yet heard of any decisions made. I agree that this needs to be resolved as soon as possible, and I shall raise it again at the next Committee meeting.

In the meantime I shall look at removing the contact and Sign up details from the Register Website

Jon Rocke
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

cmea - thank you for posting some constructive comments which I shall raise at the meeting if there has been no update regarding the Register by then. As bpr81a has stated, I have already raised the matter with the executive committee as it seems to me that contacting people directly to raise issues rather than posting criticism on a messageboard is a better way of getting things done.

Just to clarify regarding Kevin's request for volunteers, the Register was run by two people. Lee maintained the Register website and Julian dealt with the paperwork side of things. At the time of Kevin's request Julian was still running the Register but someone was needed to maintain the website in Lee's absence, hence the request for someone with website experience as that's not really something that is easy to learn as you go along - some prior experience would obviously be beneficial. My recent request for volunteers (in the absence of Julian) was unconditional, just dependant on having the time and commitment to help out. It seemed to me that the more people willing to assist with the running of the Register would demonstrate that there was a need for one, and that people were committed to supporting it. Plus the more people willing to help out the less time they would each need to give up individually.
cmea wrote: Surely the fact that the Custom modified forum is the most used indicates the need / desire for it.
It indicates that plenty of people are using this forum to discuss custom & modified Minors but it doesn't necessarily indicate their need / desire for a Register. Hopefully if the Register does get up and running again people will join it and show their support.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
moggyman64
Minor Friendly

Post by moggyman64 »

Hi Louise,

When at the next meeting all you really need to do is highlight this entire thread and the thread "Has the custom register died". But as I have already said, why are the commitee choosing to continually ignore the serious nature of this thread. If they were to post a comment then surely it would aid future discussions. Plus if we the members get some clarity from the commitee as to where they stand on the issue then maybe the members could put forward some constructive proposals.

It takes two people to have a discussion and to date there has been no representation from the official commitee. As far as I am concerned the issues in this thread have been raised by us, therefore why not hold resolution talks with the commitee on this forum. That way we can all have some input thus do away with the need for the matter to be discussed at the next meeting behind closed doors. Before you say that the meeting is open for all to attend, I can only speak for myself and say that I cannot spare the time to attend which is why the issues could and should be addressed here. We can all attend a meeting on here.

Regards

Keith
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

As bpr81a has said the issues raised by members have been registered, but nothing can be resolved until the Committee has met and the issues raised discussed by them in October. He is a Committee member so comments on here will be raised, and the outcome reported back :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

moggyman64 wrote:Hi Louise,

When at the next meeting all you really need to do is highlight this entire thread and the thread "Has the custom register died". But as I have already said, why are the commitee choosing to continually ignore the serious nature of this thread. If they were to post a comment then surely it would aid future discussions. Plus if we the members get some clarity from the commitee as to where they stand on the issue then maybe the members could put forward some constructive proposals.

It takes two people to have a discussion and to date there has been no representation from the official commitee. As far as I am concerned the issues in this thread have been raised by us, therefore why not hold resolution talks with the commitee on this forum. That way we can all have some input thus do away with the need for the matter to be discussed at the next meeting behind closed doors. Before you say that the meeting is open for all to attend, I can only speak for myself and say that I cannot spare the time to attend which is why the issues could and should be addressed here. We can all attend a meeting on here.

Regards

Keith
Some valid points Keith especially about not being able to attend meeting as this applies to many, however what do you suggest the committee do about getting more volunteers as I have not seen a single reply that has come up with a solution one of your previous suggestions for instance

Correct me if I am wrong but we pay the wages of the persons that are supposed to run our club so lets put pressure on them to sort the problem and show us the respect we deserve.

I bet the committe would love to be paid wages so they didn't have to have full time jobs.
How can they put pressure on volunteers (not that they get many) that's the quickest way to frighten people off.
I will also apologise here and now on the respect issue as I didn't realise this was an issue and just thought it was something you aquire by your actions.

On a more individual level I am on my local Branch Committee including being involved with organising our Rally's etc, however I consider myself more of an enthusiastic owner rather than a volunteer with a modified moggie. It would also be great if we were overflowing with volunteers at Branch level but that does not happen either, so I am grateful for the few that do give up their time and effort for the many.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
moggyman64
Minor Friendly

Post by moggyman64 »

Hi Kevin,

I didnt say "put pressure on volunteers, what I said was to put pressure on the committee to act on the issues contained in this thread.

With regards to my point about "members subscriptions paying for wages" well alot of money goes into the club so if it does not pay for the wages of the people who run the club then please tell me where it does go?

I think this thread has been exhausted now and I look forward to hearing the outcome of the committee meeting to be held next month.

Regards

Keith
Julesgti
Minor Friendly

Post by Julesgti »

HI All,

I had only taken on the current position as the paper side of the register (ie for those with no computers etc)

I have received no phone calls and only one e-mail since this post was created. and only a few since the beginning of the year.

When I did put it to the register about Rallies I got a total 11 responces across the possibilities, not something that is enough to push for the level of commitment of a Rally, more a "Meet" which anyone can arrange and does not need the approval of the Club.

As Louise M said it is easy to critise but no one comes forward to take over, certainly on a permanent basis.

I will be informing the Club that I will be stepping down from the Register, so someone who can run the paperwork and Website can take over.

Sorry for any inconvienience and good luck.

Jules
Julesgti
cmea
Minor Friendly

Post by cmea »

Jules,
I thoroughly appreciate your efforts and commitment stepping up and volunteering for the post. I know it can be a thankless task as I have held similair positions within my sailing interests. It appears that there is a BIG communication problem within the MMOC as I personally left a message by phone and e-mail from my work and then another from e-mail from my home (in case my work e-mail had failed) attempting to join the register, I used the details as advertised in minor matters at the time. I then contacted the MMOC Committee via e-mail to check that the contact details in Minor matters were correct, to which I received an e-mail detailing the same contact details as posted in minor matters and no offer of an explanation was given to my failed attempts to register. On phoning the MMOC office to establish why the custom register didn't seem to exist, the committee's attitude to my enquiry came across as one of why are you bothering us. I was told to try the details as advertised and that if the register details were incorrect it was not their fault. I then attempted to look online at the forum and discovered that I was not the only one having trouble finding out about the custom register. All this was now over 2 years ago, it was not a case of trying and giving up immediately. Since then I have let my MMOC membership lapse, as other than taking my membership fee and delivering copies of Minor Matters the CLUB has failed to make me feel welcome. I have now found a website ( http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk ) that listens and replies to my input making me feel much more of a member as well as having a friendly open attitude to ALL Morris minor enthusiasts.
I look forward to hearing what the committee have to say about the issues raised in these threads once they have had their meeting and hope that they put a system in place to rectify things so that whoever takes over running the custom register gets the support from above that you obviously never received. However, I wont hold my breath, as know that looking inwardly for a solution is far harder than pointing the blame.
Mark

bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

I was hoping that we'd have got this sorted out last weekend at the Branches and Register Liaison Meeting. There will be a request for volunteers to run the register in a future issue of Minor Matters. Probably not the November issue as it may be too late to add it.

Anyone on here who is interested can contact me and I'll pass their details on to the rest of the committee.

Jon Rocke
cmea
Minor Friendly

Post by cmea »

If it has been sorted out - Great. But we don't know unless you tell us.
The last info was we were waiting on the outcome of the meeting being reported back. I can only assume that the meeting has been held and the outcome was that all attending were satisfied. I am glad that it appears to be sorted out - would of thought the club would want to re-assure forum users that things had been sorted and a way ahead is in progress.
I have now said more than enough - needless to say you haven't won me back. Thanks to those who responded to my points. All the best to those involved in resurrecting the custom register.

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

you have a PM from me.. but I think Louise might have already put my name into the frame
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

PM sent Charlie - I'm on holiday so am a bit out of the loop with any recent developments but glad to hear that things are progressing :)

Eric - 1971 Traveller
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

following the request in minor matters, I have emailed rosie to show my interest running the register..