Minor roadster

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Minor roadster

Post by cadetchris »

I am thinking of converting my standard minor 1000 to a roadster. I’ve seen a few pictures and it looks really good to me. Plus there are not many around and it will be a good challenge for me.
From a technical point of view, I would assume that using the strengthening panels from a convertible conversion would suffice with the floor, after I have got the sills and floor replaced to ensure that everything is as strong as it can be.
I do have lots of queries about how the top of the windscreen is finished off, like wise the top of the B pillars and the top of the doors. I would love to keep the quarter lights as these finish off the windscreen frame and tidy it up a bit, but keeping those could be a bit of a challenge.

Has anyone else gone down this route? If you have, I would love a chat and maybe look over your car, to see how it’s been done and challenges have been over come.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Re: Minor roadster

Post by Banned User »

What's the difference between a roadster and a convertible?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

PoolGuy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:59 pm What's the difference between a roadster and a convertible?
Good question. I think the difference is that a Roadster is generally an open top Sports car, like an MGB, TR4 etc., rather than just a soft top saloon.
Perhaps he's looking to pimp it into a 'Hot Rod' and also make it open top... :o
Basil the 1955 series II

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Ahh, sort of Grease Lightning style? Could look great if it's done properly.
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

i was going to go for this style
IMG_2727.JPG
IMG_2727.JPG (565.79 KiB) Viewed 6779 times
Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bowie69 »

Read up on your IVA requirements first.
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

IVA requirments?

Thankfully the whole thing is in the planning stages, so i am still researching it and all help and directions are much appreciated
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

cadetchris wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:00 pm IVA requirments?

Thankfully the whole thing is in the planning stages, so i am still researching it and all help and directions are much appreciated
You'll need to do a Voluntary Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA), basically for modifying individually (rather than to a manufacturers design) or building your own.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/ind ... e-approval
Basil the 1955 series II

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

I had a quick look at that. I couldn’t work out when IVA becomes necessary?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

You don't want to read it too closely, you might get worried about the amount of rebuilding that goes into some Moggies.... :o

if you look at the links at the bottom of that page, it provided IVA manuals for different categories...
I think that this particular project might easily fall under "Amateur Built"
defined as
A vehicle is an amateur built vehicle if:
(a) the vehicle was, constructed, assembled or having previously been registered under the 1994 Act, structurally modified, for the personal use of a person (R) who is a relevant individual, and
(b) the whole, or a substantial part, of the construction, assembly or modification was carried out by R, by one or more relevant individuals acting on behalf, and under the direction, of R or by R and one or more relevant individuals acting on behalf, and under the direction of R.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ategory-m1
Basil the 1955 series II

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

That’s a very grey area :lol:
Westcountryman
Minor Friendly

Post by Westcountryman »

I completed a similar project last Summer and it has been great using it this summer. It started as a 2 door saloon and I welded in the usual extra panels to strengthen it. I was worried about getting it registered and insured so I explained what I had done to the insurers and they were OK and I had some correspondence with DVLA and sent photos and they changed the body type on the V5. In reality in this case it is only a convertible but with no provision for the roof. The most noticeable bit is the where the roof is cut so that the quarter lights are incorporated. There is no glass in the front doors. I hope the photos show it well enough and I can post more if required.
Attachments
DSC02258.JPG
DSC02258.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 6500 times
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG (2.49 MiB) Viewed 6500 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Westcountryman wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:45 pm I completed a similar project last Summer and it has been great using it this summer. It started as a 2 door saloon and I welded in the usual extra panels to strengthen it. I was worried about getting it registered and insured so I explained what I had done to the insurers and they were OK and I had some correspondence with DVLA and sent photos and they changed the body type on the V5.

Nice looking motor. What did DVLA call it, do they have 'Roadster' as an option?
Basil the 1955 series II

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

That looks lovely. Not very practical in our climate but who cares.
Westcountryman
Minor Friendly

Post by Westcountryman »

DVLA decided to call it a convertible - they may not have roadster as an option. I guess it is potentially a convertible but just happens not to have the roof. I got a letter of confirmation from them as well as the amended V5.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Westcountryman wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:24 pm DVLA decided to call it a convertible - they may not have roadster as an option. I guess it is potentially a convertible but just happens not to have the roof. I got a letter of confirmation from them as well as the amended V5.
Always good to have the letter of confirmation, if someone else at DVLA decides they don't like it in the future, that letter will be gold dust.
Basil the 1955 series II

Westcountryman
Minor Friendly

Post by Westcountryman »

Trying to upload some more pics but keep getting the message that the image file is invalid - any advice?
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

I was just thinking, do people have to do an iva when they convert a saloon to a convertible, it appears not.
Westcountryman
Minor Friendly

Post by Westcountryman »

I did have a look at that and it looked a bit scary so chose to get in touch with DVLA. My case to them was that the change to the car were exactly the changes to the body that the factory made when they built the convertibles. With the addition of photos to show the build that seemed to be enough. I think if you are making radical changes which go well beyond factory spec it would be different.
I did have to think about how to finish off the roof line since it is a different pattern from the convertible and does not use the panel you can buy to do that. Also the strengthening sills are 16 gauge steel ! Over the top - but I just happened to have some.
Cadetchris - as you are the OP if you want to have a look at the car you are welcome. I'm in Staffordshire.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Westcountryman wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:32 pm Trying to upload some more pics but keep getting the message that the image file is invalid - any advice?
This site can be very random regards image size that it will accept. It's annoyingly inconsistent about it too and has been commented upon often. See here for example...
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68688&hilit=image#p626282

How about file name?
Are they from the same source as the ones you posted earlier?

I've had it where an image wouldn't load, but would do the next day.... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II