1956 s11 traveller restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I did some more work on the drivers side B post over the last couple of days. The repair section was completely the wrong profile for the wood as well as the stepped curve bit of the door. I ended up cutting it in 2 then slicing grooves in to get it the correct shape, welding and grinding smooth. Then using a b post repair that came with the other traveller that actually belongs to a 2 door saloon!! I wasted about 5 hours on that, but am pretty happy with the results now, forgot the camera though...... Probably will have similar issues on the passenger side also. Hope to get started to it on Thursday.

Too many Minors so little time.....
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

sorry ill have to get the snaps on line later.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Happy days, sold the other traveller project today, so I dont have to worry about another one to fix when this ones finished! Heres a pic of it just before it left. The guy who bought it wanted the doors and wings refitted to make it look better before his wife saw it!

I was working on the other b post today and sure enough, the new panels rubbish and will require the same work to reshape it as the drivers side. I hope to get that welded on tomorrow. I made a temlate of the wood post to keep the profil correct, hopefully.....
<br>Image<br><br>Image<br>

stag36587
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by stag36587 »

The guy who bought is similar to me - a silver Picasso and a minor that needs to be carefully prepped before the other half goes anywhere near it. :-?
]
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

stag36587 wrote:The guy who bought is similar to me - a silver Picasso and a minor that needs to be carefully prepped before the other half goes anywhere near it. :-?
If thats the case I should keep clear of your other half as well then :o as I discovered it so to speak.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Progress!<br>Image<br>
New doors fitted, ali roof and side panels stripped to bare, welding all completed and today the wood was rubbed down and clear preserative applied.

Next big job to tackle is fitting the roof to the wood. Has anybody any tips for fitting the new gutters, a job that looks difficult......<br>Image<br>

Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

The hardest part about the guttering is the point where it curves around the tight corner at the back.Although instructions for this suggest 1 cut in the outer edge in order to let it bend, I found that 4 or 5 work better.You'll probably find like me that the first one is a pig whereas the second you do in 5 minutes flat.When you nail the guttering don't go too mad or you end up with a wavy roof line.I used windscreen sealant between roof and woodwork and overpaintable sealant between gutter and roof.I sprayed roof with etch primer and top coat before fitting and then went round the guttering in the same fashion with a small touch in spray gun afterwards feathering into the roof.The effect is factory fresh.
[sig]6530[/sig]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense about the corner. I dont have any instructions with these gutters as they have been lying in the corner of someones garage for nearly 20 yrs! The original roofs dont seem to be sealed but it certainly makes sense to apply some.

Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

Hi David,I should have mentioned that when fixing the guttering start from the cab end and work along pinning about every 4 inches as you move to the back.When it comes to the curved part form a small length then pin as you go.Put more pins in on the corners as they are under greater stress.Good luck and keep us informed of the results, Andy.
[sig]6530[/sig]
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

If it's any help here's one I made earlier.....<br>Image<br>
[sig]6530[/sig]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Cheers Andy, looks great!

I spent today stripping the dashboard switches and wiring out, also the windscreen, regulator and sanding the back doors. I also started with paint stripper under the bonnet, what a boring and messy job but has to be done.

Back tomorrow for more of the same, cant wait......

kjm
Minor Addict

Post by kjm »

hi , david , your traveller is really coming on since i was down , another 6 0r 8 weeks should see a big difference :lol:
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Nearly ready for paint.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

So in the last couple of weeks I have been removing all the old paint with paint stripper, horrible messy job! As well as this I have been building up coats of varnish on the new wood. Tomorrow hopefully should see the roof fitted and the new gutters. I had trouble getting a painter, a guy is coming too look some night this week and give me a price.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Roof finished today!! What a job, not at all easy and not something I want to rackle again..... I had problems with the roof panel as it appeared to be about 1/2' longer than the wood at the drivers side. Ended up reshaping the front edge and had the body on and off the car about 5 times. The gutters were not too bad to do, they are so soft and mark really easily. I definately wont be using a roof rack again when you see all thats holding the roof down! I forgot to take some picks but will next week.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Good stuff glad you got it sorted. Sorry couldnt get up, working really hard.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

So, the traveller finally going for its paint job tomorrow!! :D Its seems like ages since Ive been near it what with rebuilding the sidevalve and starting to weld Berts traveller as well. Im told it will only be away for 1 week, but not sure if that will really happen...... In the mean time I need to get back to Berts traveller and hopefully get the new wheel arch flanges and boot floor fitted.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Traveller made it to the paint shop, in many pieces. hopefully the rebuild can soon begin.

kautilya

Post by kautilya »

emmerson,
TRAVELLER REAR PLATE BEHIND DOORS
Dear E
after doing front floor panels and kickplates and inner wings etc etc now flummoxed as prepare to tackle traveller plate behind bumpers. Have been searching everywhere for some tips on putting in this long transverse plate (Rear Bootwell Panel (Traveller)
MMCBATH PART NO('S):CHS725
[RP149])on back of traveller in front of the petrol tank but cannot spot anything on the site or elswhere. I hope we dont have to remove rear wooden posts -- worried about your remark above LOL!

Would you have a suggestion where we might look please for tips or photos on the site to tackle this please ? Gave up too tired at end of day today but looking at the EMS pic of the plate with all its holes in it then perhaps it bolts on perhaps and our welding is done???
mni tks
K
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Heres some pics of the painted car<br>Image<br><br>Image<br>
Now I just need lots of time to get stuck in and get it all back together :D :D :D :D :D :D :D