Pick up Restoration (Part 1)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
toginthemog
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by toginthemog »

great pics that should encourage everyone to get on with a first class job like yours
[sig]8906[/sig]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Jonathon, I will be returning to these images time and again, thanks for putting them up they will be very helpful. great to see some of the repair sections that are available, like the bottom of the boxed section. I understand the seat ankor points are not supplied fitted to floor panels, so I'll be carefully measuring their locations before cutting them out and welding them to the new floor.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Les your pictures are great too, many thanks, I see the gearbox cover cowling was removed, I was going to keep that in place to leave some floor strength till I could get some new metal in there.
Don't worry about the resizing, big is good from my point of view.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

Good luck with this project! I get immensly pleased when an LCV is saved :D

jonathon
Minor Legend

pickup

Post by jonathon »

A few more

<br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br>

stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

first class job!!

StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

pickup

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Good luck with that one Davidmiles, always nice to see another LCV being saved.

Superb photos, Jonathan an Les, some very high quality work there and great photos for reference.

A few pics of mine, as it awaits some time and a nice workshop to restore it in comfort!

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Some bloody good photos in this thread gents, thank you for sharing. It's really making me want to get my moggy on the road now.

David, I hope they have given you massive amounts of confidence on what can be achieved with time and patience.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

StaffsMoggie,
I really wish mine had been that solid last year!! From the cab backwards mine is more repair than chassis :oops:
Forget having a cosy garage - the days are lengthening and all it needs is enthusiasm.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
stiguk
Minor Fan

Post by stiguk »

thats it iv got to get me a pickup
they look so cool
[sig]9488[/sig]
jonathon
Minor Legend

pickup

Post by jonathon »

Here's my old van, used as a daily hack. Now have the pick up shown in the pics, just need to sort the rear cab and fit the Zetec and away we go :D <br>Image<br>

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Gents, these are very inspiring and practical help images, many thanks. I see the value of getting a replacement chassis early on. I can see the need for that prior to starting repair work on my rusty cab bottom areas. Tonight I have been removing the engine and gearbox,they have dropped to the ground as the chassis has disintegrated. Any advice on how to get the pair out, should I seperate them. I can't seem to pull them free, can't see what is catching, could it be the bell housing snagging the steering?
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

pu

Post by StaffsMoggie »

rayofleamington wrote:StaffsMoggie,
I really wish mine had been that solid last year!! From the cab backwards mine is more repair than chassis :oops:
Forget having a cosy garage - the days are lengthening and all it needs is enthusiasm.
Thank you Ray. You are of course quite right. I did all the work on my Spitfire on the drive in the open, so I really should make a start on the pick-up

PICK - UPS ARE THE CUTEST MOGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I can't seem to pull them free, can't see what is catching, could it be the bell housing snagging the steering?
Possibly the clutch linkage?
If they've dropped the bellhousing should be clear of the rack.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

here's a shot showing the edge of the bell housing coming under the forward edge below the dash. after removing the prop shaft. The shaft just pulled off the splines at the gearbox end, but the bolts at the diff end had to be cut off as they had rusted in. Once ive got the heavy components out I can start removing the rear body, seperating it from the rear of the cab. the cab bolts seem to be coming off ok. There are one or two rusted in at the bottom.<br>Image<br>
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Wow! your getting on with this!

I *may* have a spare passenger side wing, and I definately have a couple of repairable drivers side ones if they are of use?

I go to Haywards Heath all the time too so dropping them off wouldn't be a problem!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

Wow, I must commend your bravery taking on something like that. Take plenty of photos - this will make a great story when it's done. I'm sure a magazine would be interested in publishing it.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Matt you're a gentleman. Could you keep hold of them for me, I've got such a long way to go before I can even think about wings, maybe I should drink some red bull, Thanks for the offer. I finally got the engine-gearbox clear. I'd better stop now as its a sunday,give the neighbours some peace.<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

you know when you go passed some guys drive and theres a neat little secret package wrapped up patiently waiting. Well I realise now its nothing to do with keeping a secret, its about preserving good relations with your family and neighbours. I make it a point to sweep up, tidy away and wrap the car at the end of a session. For my peace of mind as much as anyone's.<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Today the bed came free, after much scraping of knuckles the last rusted bolt came out, with a screech of metal the sides slide out from between the cab rear panel and the boxed section rear door frame.<br>Image<br>