Pick up Restoration (Part 1)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by wibble_puppy »

Brilliant photo :D

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Thanks Wib, and thanks for donating all those bits and pieces to my project, and letting me take a close look at your chassis. Those measurements will help me recover my next big lump from Big G.
Have a nice trip to Scotland.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

davidmiles wrote:and letting me take a close look at your chassis.
:o

It was great to meet you, and Harry Miles too. He's a tough guy - if I had dropped a rear leaf spring on my foot I would have had something to say about it :wink: 8)

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

You are really cracking on with it David finding the times bad enough let alone the enthusiasm well done and at a rapid rate of knots :D
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

The front suspension and steering has to wait while the rear suspension is stripped and reduced in size to make room for the chassis to be stored in a couple of weeks. here the U bolt nuts are pre soaked in oil.<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

There is something rusted away here, the spacer for the U bolt bracket, at least it's not the rear axle casing<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

This little fella looks on in amazement to see the rear axle in reasonably solid condition, mind you he's been uttering unhelpful and sarcastic comments ever since the pickup arrived, causing his hutch to be moved, and spoiling his view of next doors rabbit hutch.<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

as you can see, the obligatory coating of rust, but under it all there's a nice solid axle. I'll be trying my best to use it in the restoration.<br>Image<br>
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Adorable Hammy - we had one just like him, sadly no longer with us but likewise very vocal! :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

There is something rusted away here,
The base of the rear bump stop?
Hope your axle is savageable, but they are prone to rust through by the locating bracket, even on road going vehicles. The casings are approximately 1/8'' thick around that area so any rust pitting getting on for that depth could decide your course.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

After experiencing all this rust I just had to buy a new toy, um tool. just catching a glimpse of fresh steel at this point fills one with a warm feeling inside.just knowing there is some metal there somewhere in all this corrosion.<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

I know I look a pratt, but I'm so glad that in this day and age, with the un- faltering invasion of health and safety into our lives, we blokes can wear silly clobber and not feel that we are out of step with the modern world. I for one am so glad, cos I have such a low pain threshhold. If I caught my hand with that brush they'd hear me screaming in Longbridge.<br>Image<br>
nortont1

Post by nortont1 »

just been flicking through the thread, brilliant progress, well done
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

I should paint this right away to prevent immediate corrosion, I'm going to leave it on the workbench overnight in a locked workshop and picture it again tommorow, what do you think, will it still be grey, or light red brown? there's still some traces of corrosion in there, but lets just see.<br>Image<br>
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

davidmiles wrote:This little fella looks on in amazement to see the rear axle in reasonably solid condition, mind you he's been uttering unhelpful and sarcastic comments ever since the pickup arrived, causing his hutch to be moved, and spoiling his view of next doors rabbit hutch.<br>Image<br>
Did he want a rabbit friend :wink:

Some amazing progress going on here :D

alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

davidmiles wrote:I know I look a pratt, but I'm so glad that in this day and age, with the un- faltering invasion of health and safety into our lives, we blokes can wear silly clobber and not feel that we are out of step with the modern world.
Ear defenders and a dust mask are a very good idea too. :D
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

You are right alex, as soon as I start on the larger bits the rust dust will be oppressive and potentially harmful, so yes I will add those items to my already alien like appearance, It'll get the kids chuckling if nothing else.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
stiguk
Minor Fan

Post by stiguk »

great pic and good progress cant wait to see it when u are done
[sig]9488[/sig]
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

David

Are you being held at gun point in your garage :o