Pick up Restoration (Part 1)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
morrisfan
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by morrisfan »

Hi david if you need any sandblasting done give AC Blasting a call at ticehurst i have used then quite a bit and they do a great job just as a guide they blasted and and alfa coated my ford thames 400E cab for around £250 might not be of any interest but saves manyh hours with the wirebrush!!!
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Here is the rear axle getting some de rusting, there's solid metal in there, I've got high hopes for using this major component.<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

true to my promise to myself, I have re thought my workshop practice, for my own safety as well as that of my components, Of one heavy/major part in the workshop at any one time.<br>Image<br>
ssnjimb
Minor Fan

Post by ssnjimb »

Are you sending the engine away for a rebuild ?

James
I own a 1974 MG Midget 1275 in Teal Blue "Midget" is what we call him and he is in very good to excellant condition "midget" is a Chrome bumper/Round Wheel arch model.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

I haven't planned or even thought that far ahead, My general plan for the far away misty engine end of things, will be the same for the rest of the car, I'll take it as far as I can myself, but where book/self help learning and getting help on these pages doesn't go far enough, I'll get professional help.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Oh dear, Ive discovered a small pinhole in the thin metal of the rear cap at the back of the diff, where it joins the thicker metal. I wonder if I can repair this with mig weld?<br>Image<br>
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

looks pretty small, I'd be happy to weld that up

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

here is a genaral view of the area.<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Thanks Dan, be daft to scrap it for such a trivial fault
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Yeah, zap that!

Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

you got a welder yet david?
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Not yet, it's the next biggest thing on my shopping list after buying Andrews solid looking Chassis on monday. I'll be going over to pompy in a few weeks to get myself a 150 clarke. There's been a lot of support on this site for Clarke products.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

davidmiles wrote:<br>Image<br>
Ooooh see that funny-looking brass strap, round the axle, holding the brake pipe on? I hope I'm not too late to stop you from chucking it (and the one from the other side too) away! :o You can't get them any more. People have to use cable ties now. :)

PS Sorry about your thumb - I like your DIY home surgery efforts 8)

PPS If you want to use cable ties (don't!) can I have first dibs on your brass strips? :D

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

you can get a simialr metal cable tie
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

Hi david, where are you getting the welder from? Migtigarc in portsmouth is really good. the guys that work there are really helpful and will sort you out with the best you can afford me thinks. also...it's about 2 mins away from my house and you can pop round and talk minors!!
mrbenn
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by mrbenn »

Great thread 8) All the best with the pickup David :)
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Thanks for all your supportive comments everyone, Thanks Wib, I had to drill a hole in my thumb nail, mainly because I didn't want the doc pushing a heated up paper clip through and only stopping when you scream. DIY is so less painfull. The axle is stripped of its broken brake line, stinky old oil and placed to one side for the time being, But there's a problem.....<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

This is what should have happened, nice clean threads for the brake cable, where it joins the back the inner hub.<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

But on the other side, disaster, the nut was immovable, locked solid, and it sheared off, how am I going to get that out?<br>Image<br>
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

is that for the banjo
could you drill it out, any way i would have thought that new rear brake cylinders would be a must