Pick up Restoration (Part 1)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RussLCV
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by RussLCV »

Cheers David, and yes please feel free to submit info for feature

Also Dan I would be keen to feature your Traveller too if you ar eup for it?
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I notice a Morris grill panel in the back ground.. This fella might be worth a quick email... He might have the chasis down the back of the shed!!
He's certainly been shifting his entire project bit by bit so it's worth a shot...
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Well done for rescuing that pickup, a good if slightly daunting project. All the important rare bits seem to be there, and everything you need is available new or s/h. If you need any advice or pics of ones in bits/part done just ask. :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Ian, I would really like a shot of the underside of the pickup cab floor without the chassis on it. I'm planning on doing the cab rebuilding first, I need some shots as a guide. The cab will have to be rebuilt in a homemade timber jig, my main focus is on not letting it sag out of alignment. also some shots of the bottom of the door rearmost frame would be helpful. cheers.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
mrsnak
Minor Fan

Post by mrsnak »

davidmiles wrote:hi Russell, I'll be send you some pictures later, cheers, I'd appreciate any assistance in the history department.

Helen G, thanks for the ebay steer, very interesting to see the bed like that, great help in locating the body attachment holes, mine are so covered in rust I can hardly make them out.
If you need any detail photos of a pickup, please feel free to PM me. Happy to take any pictures that might help you.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Personally I would not build the cab without a solid ,correct , chassis to use as a reference point.
You almost need to assemble the floors etc using the chassis as a template and it must be in the correct position as the top lever arms must be aligned to give you the desired geometry. Its very easy to fit the cab out of phase and this will cause problems.

Good luck with the project, if you need pics PM me your email and I'll send some on. :wink:

ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

Has it got tractor tyres - tres chunky :-) You're obviously extremely enthusiastic :-) Have fun!

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

bonne chance :D :D
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Thanks for that advice jonathon, can you reiterate about the "top lever arms" again. here's a shot of the floor taken today after I unbolted and moved out the passenger seat, rubber matts and general debis. There's more metal there than I expected, but as a reference point its lessened by the bending caused by a protruding chunk of what little chassis remains.<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

mrsnak, thanks for the offer too, you're a gentleman sir. trouble is your pickup looks so good I can't compare it to any part of mine. (Yet)
Did you take a shot of the cab floor underneath during the restoration? and who are those chicks in the back?
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
stiguk
Minor Fan

Post by stiguk »

good pic tell her we need to see loads more
she takes a good pic
all the best in doing it up
[sig]9488[/sig]
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

photoshop :wink:

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Looks like you have plenty of options regarding cab floor pics, but I can offer a few, if all else fails.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

that would be great great Les, can you put one or two on here?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'll try, they may appear full size though, not quite got a handle on resizing yet.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Hi David,
The saloon versions of the Minor have the reference points for the suspension firmly located, ie unless the vehicle is rotten or been in an accident then the relationship between the eyebolt pin hole in the leg and the mounting points for the lever arms will be a consistant dimension.
The commercials have a seperate chassis and cab, which if not aligned correctly can lead to these reference points being moved which will alter the front suspension geometry. I had this problem with a customers van ,who had built the cab seperately and not used the chassis to provide the critical datum points for assembly of the cab.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

ImageImage/les/113_1326.jpg[/IMG]
Hope these come out.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

jonathon
Minor Legend

pickup

Post by jonathon »

Hope these help<br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br>