My Ongoing Traveller restoration ?

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

My Ongoing Traveller restoration ?

Post by the-green-monkey »

I have lots of pictures of the ongoing restoration of my 61 traveller does anyone want me to dedicate a topic to it? It could help if your doing something similar (i.e a total underside rebuild and more)
R.I.P Barry Morris, you may have been my first Moggy but you won't be my last.

d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Everyone loves seeing resto projects :D

the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly

In that case here we go:
first off the pictures from ebay, looked ok, knew it needed some work but me and my dad were anticipating and rather looking forward to that.<br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br>
Last edited by the-green-monkey on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly

<br>Image<br>
<br>Image<br>
next up i begin the strip down
Last edited by the-green-monkey on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jonah681
Minor Fan

Post by Jonah681 »

Would love to follow the progress.
Are you rebuilding to standard or adding any mods?

Do you have any timetable in mind (eg next years National,perhaps) or is it dependant on time & money - the two main sticking points of any project!

Best of luck.
the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly

well we've had it since november but progress is slow i just never thought of dedicating a topic to it so ive got all the pictures but i think that next years national would be a push as youll see when i get round to putting up the next pictures.

Shawn
Minor Fan

Post by Shawn »

I'd love to watch the progress!
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/perrys/MinorSig.jpg[/img]
the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly

The car once it had arrived<br>Image<br> and after taking off a couple of little things, badges etc.<br>Image<br>the terrible state of the floor after removing some carpet<br>Image<br>the back with the seats removed<br>Image<br>next up is the removal of the roof and rear panels

the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly

the back end with most of the panels and glass removed (sorry i couldn't really show how this was done but at least you can see what you end up with once the metals all gone)<br>Image<br>the frankly awful state of the rear inner wing and the leftover wood thats clinging on after all the rest fell apart completely<br>Image<br>the floor panels, unfortunately though that isn't surface rust there were several large holes dotted about so the floor will be replaced<br>Image<br>next the front end gets ripped open

the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly

front inner wing that will be replaced because its like a patchwork quilt<br>Image<br>the engine bay after the grille and bonet have been removed in a terrible shape, most of this is gonna go<br>Image<br>i thinik this is the front passenger side inner wing its nackered really<br>Image<br>All gone!<br>Image<br><br>Image<br>now all that we gotta do is get the engine out (also a little advice dont stand on the rear of a stripped down traveller thats in as sad a state as this one to take a picture it always ends with a loud noise and another hole to fill :oops: )
Last edited by the-green-monkey on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly

My dad and me remove all the gubbins keepin that engine in<br>Image<br>then enlist the help of my mate rob to yank the thing out (who needs an engine hoist when you have good old elbow grease) and the help of my girlfriend to laugh at us grunting and owing and to photograph the event<br>Image<br>the engine<br>Image<br>and the engine bay<br>Image<br> we then removed the gearbox and were ready to weld 8) (sunglasses in the abcence of a smiley with a welding mask) will put the welding pics up later :D

iandromiskin
Minor Fan

Post by iandromiskin »

I'm attempting to do up my traveller too over the next few years (in no hurry. Still learning) so please post up pictures and progress of your restoration so that I can follow your progress and learn how you do it.

Best of luck.
Gertie, 1962 Saloon, Milly, 1969 Traveller (ex APL 971H) and now KAS 1958 4 Door Saloon.
[img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/iandromiskin/DSC_0051-1.jpg[/img][img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/iandromiskin/Picture112.jpg[/img][img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/iandromiskin/Picture366.jpg[/img]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnDuQIOtYcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuhsoEd1GhQ
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Now thats looks a good ongoing project, I bet you are glad to have such a big garage though.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly

I will do iandromiskin hope it helps,
also the large garage is a great help although i always feel it could be a little bigger to allow space for another :D

the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly

And the pics continue:<br>Image<br>
quite a lot has been done on the above photograph my dad kind of blitzed through a lot of welding and this was the first chance i had to photograph, baisicly the entire centre cross member and the two rail things that run parrallel from the engine bay to the cross member (dont know the proper name for them sorry :oops: ) have been replaced due to serious rusting. also the front left and right hand side floor panels have been replaced and tacked in. as well as the new floor panels an area just above where they weld has had to be replaced on the drivers side using a flat piece of steel although im not sure you can see it very well from the picture so i'll get a close up next time im out. the inner sills on both sides have also been replaced and the front inner wings have been put in and seam welded where they join the floor panels. the gear box panel hasn't been welded in yet it's just there to make sure everythings lined up before the seam welds are all done (which i reccommend doing whenever possible, never weld until you're sure youve got it all right).
as i said sorry this is a lot at once i'll just leave it at this for a while and if anyone needs specific details on this section let me know and i'll edit this post and put it in. :D

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

wow lovin it, keep up the restoration in pictures, its great.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly

Ok as promised close ups and more detail, as the resto continues<br>Image<br>that cream bit is where we had to put a new piece of steel over the top because there isnt really a replacement part but the rust there meant it needed replacing.<br>Image<br>a shot of the underside of our home made panel.

the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly

Re: My Ongoing Traveller restoration ?

*Cough Cough!* Phew its dusty in here :roll:

Been a long time and unfortunately the traveller is curently on its side and inaccessable :-? however my dad is building a workshop at the top of the garden for all of the rubbish in the way so we will be cracking on soon.

Also in the time ive been gone from the moggy scene (almost a year now :o ) I have bought a 1990 mini mayfair, so while you wait for updates on the traveller heres a pic of his little brother, on the day i bought him, lots has been done since then :wink:
[frame]Image
This one is slightly more up to date, new clear indicators and a whole new interior :)[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Welcome back! Since you last posted we've got a restoration projects forum so I've moved your thread :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
the-green-monkey
Minor Friendly

I was just about to ask if some one could do that :D thanks very much :wink: