An American Moggie ~ My '59 Morris Minor 1000 2-door saloon

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Fingolfin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

An American Moggie ~ My '59 Morris Minor 1000 2-door saloon

Post by Fingolfin »

Greetings one and all! I have been an overly proud Morris Minor owner since April 2008, and I am studying at university for degrees in Philosophy and Religious Studies.

My Moggie is more interesting. :) I own a maroon 1959 Morris Minor 1000 two-door saloon, which I refer to as Mog for short. It has a 948cc A-series engine, which runs pretty well. The car was sold at Selden Mayse Automotive in Springfield, Missouri, to a person whose name is now lost to time; after him came the great Joseph Kile, who took very good loving care of the car; after Mr Kile came another man who did not take quite such good care, and from this man my parents bought Fingolfin’s first car for $3500 – er, about ₤2150.

Random facts about Mog that may come in handy:
The odometer reads 01368 – from various documents that Mr Kile left with Mog, I’ve deduced this is most likely 101368 or 201368 -- hardly high numbers.
The car number is M/A2S3L 700148, which, by a site I found (http://www.auto-part.com/auto/shop/vin.asp), means that Mog was made about March 1959.
The engine number is 9M-U-H 289617. This is the number of the original engine; the current engine is from an MG Midget (though it's the same capacity as the original) and, to disguise this fact, someone took the actual number off.
The gearbox number is 2A3368 VAF4.
The rear axle is currently being changed out.
The body number plaque reads Z.26076 275613.

Mog had been modified with a 12G295 head, new Midas muffler, lap belts for the front seats, and an electric fuel pump which seems dead reliable. The paint was originally Clipper Blue. I have modified it more extensively, putting in a manual washer pump and shoulder belts for all seats.

Mog has been wrecked two or more times in its life, once by me. While taking Mog into town to get it registered, I hit a patch of loose gravel and began fishtailing, sending Mog and I (and my father, riding shotgun) into a ditch. Mog was tilted and resting on its left side. Had there been no seatbelts, I could’ve gone out the open window and under the car. :-? The structural disfiguring it underwent was corrected, but needs more correcting.

While I’ve been working on Mog, this messageboard has been a great and irreplaceable help. There are still problems with the car, of course, as it’s being restored by two guys who don’t have much idea what they’re doing – my dad and I. :)

How about a photo?[frame]Image[/frame]This is Mog before the wreck -- just after its first servicing.[frame]Image[/frame]Me inside Mog, with my trusty dog Monty. :wink:
Last edited by Fingolfin on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 11 times in total.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Re: An American Moggie ~ My '59 Morris Minor 1000 2-door saloon

Post by ASL642 »

Welcome to this Forum! You know where we are when you're ready to do some more work on Mog - nice car (and dog)! My cousins used to live in Marshall :wink: Good luck with college

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Re engine #

9 = 948 engine
M = Morris ie it was a Morris car and not an Austin etc
U = Central (floor) gear change ie not column change

:lol:
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Welcome! Nice car/color (USA) I aquired mine when I was 18! (some time ago)
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Is that the original colour? It look almost exactly like our '61 2 door that has been repainted sometime from it's original puke green.
Talk slow, think fast!
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I'm somewhat sure it's original, but not being a professional I suppose I can't tell definitively. I understand that Morris used a color, 'Maroon B,' that looked quite a lot like what Mog has. In any case, I'm fond of the color.

There are some paintless spots around the car that show a few different colors: a pale green, white, grey, and fire engine red, mostly. But none of them, in my opinion, would look very good as the color of the whole Mog.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!

foghorn14
Minor Friendly

Post by foghorn14 »

I am in Missouri too. I live in Bolivar near Springfield. Go Missouri Moggies!
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

What say you to some more pictures?

Post by Fingolfin »

I do hope I'm not hogging the bandwidth! I just enjoy photographs from others, and I figure I should return the favor.

[frame]Image[/frame]
The most recent modification was reattaching the door. Obviously it has yet to be painted, but for the first time in months Mog is structurally complete. Taken 23 December 2009 -- no work since then.

[frame]Image[/frame]
The engine bay after reattaching the radiator, grille/cowl, and horns. Notice the retrofitted air filter and electric fuel pump (red square and dial). Taken 15 December.

[frame]Image[/frame]
The engine bay prior to reattaching all that. Note the bare leading edges of the fanblades -- during the wreck, the rapidly-spinning fan cut into the radiator, which is why it was removed in the first place.

[frame]Image[/frame]
Last summer, prior to undercoating the wings. Since this, I've replaced that tire, repainted the bumper blade, undercoated, and (of course) attached this wing. Attaching the wing was madness, because an old bolt had broken during removal of the old wing, and we had to drill a new hole to secure the new wing. Taken 5 June.

[frame]Image[/frame]
One of my favorite pictures. This is (obviously) the horn push. I considered replacing it, considering how cracked the insignia is, but I kinda like it this way.

That's all for now, unless you all just beg for more. Most of my others are process pictures, but I have hundreds.

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I'm begging! I never bore at looking at peoples projects. It's good to see people in the states enjoying the old moggy too. :D
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Oh, heck, then! Let's have a couple more! But not many -- I'm running low of good ones! :D

[frame]Image[/frame]
A great photo from 20 December. The door had just come back from the painter's -- it's a local school, and they closed for Christmas two days before, so couldn't totally finish it yet -- and my dad and I (dad's the guy there) decided to fix on the rear wing. A heck of a job! Notice the plastic pipe that we use for a bonnet prop. At first it was a broomstick, but I broke that in a random act of violence. :D

[frame]Image[/frame]
After the wreck. The wreck took place on 16 August 2008, and this photo is from three days later. You can see how the two driver's-side (on this side of the pond!) wings are basically scrap metal. The wing mirror is bent beyond use and the glass was nearly gone. One of this side's chrome wheel embellisher rings survived the wreck unscathed, but the other is now the shape of a horseshoe. It really was a miracle my dad and I were unscathed.

[frame]Image[/frame]
The maroon beast on the verdant lawn. This is last summer, when I did so want to work on it, but dad was busy and I didn't know enough to do it myself, and of course the recession killed our budget for parts. I didn't remember having the bumper off then, but I guess it was. :)

[frame]Image[/frame]
Six months ago I started reading this 'board and discovered you all kept talking about a sump. In the States, this is called the oil pan. It took dad and I ages to figure out the two were the same. Anyway, this is mine, and some of the underside. It's in remarkably good condition for its age -- though we haven't had it on a lift yet, so we can't really be certain.

[frame]Image[/frame]
We had snow on Christmas day, which I thought was marvelous. My Moggie enjoyed it too. :) I'd rather it be in a garage, but we haven't got garage money.

There, does that satiate you all? :D I'll post some more soon. I have Spring Break in about 4.5 weeks, so if you have any requests for a certain shot, post it and I'll see what I can do then. After that holiday, I have another 5 or 6 weeks of school, and then it's summer, when I can actually tinker!

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Hi Fingolfin,
I'd just like to add my welcome to the forum too!.

It is great to see an original Moggie being used in the States. I do like the colour. Keep it tastefully original! By the way, has Randolph been in touch with you?? He seems to be the most active Minor fan in the States and has a network of contacts and enthusiasts that might come in useful to you.

I have taken the liberty of PM ing Randolphs e-mail to you. I'm sure he will be delighted to hear from you.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Many thanks, chickenjohn! Email sent.

I do intend to keep Mog as original as possible -- but there are some things, like the total rewire I'm considering, that are pretty well necessary; and if the rewire does happen, it'd be a false economy not to, say, convert it over to negative earth, and to add an alternator. But this is all at least three months away.

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I never have gotten an email back from Randolph. I do hope I didn't offend him! :D

Thought I'd add the remaining pix I thought were worthy. There are seven. :wink: I apologize if I'm hogging the server!

[frame]Image[/frame]The finished right-hand side -- well, finishedish. The bumper isn't quite attached, the hubcap isn't on, the door isn't painted. But it's coming along nicely.

[frame]Image[/frame]Under the dash. Obviously there's a lot of work going on down there, but it's telling to look at all that stuff in there. Pretty sure that's the original Smiths heater.

[frame]Image[/frame]A while before the right side was completed. The door was still at the painter's and the rear wing had yet to be modified.

[frame]Image[/frame]The rear left brake drum, complete with cobwebbing. Do you suppose it's in fair condition, just on first glance?

[frame]Image[/frame]The rear right turnlamp, reattached, finally. The wires are reattached, too, but there's a problem further up the line, so the lights don't work. The dark spidery stuff that won't come off around the fuel port makes me anxious.

[frame]Image[/frame]The driver's seat. I'm gonna have to end up taking it out this summer, to gauge the quality of the floor. That's no big deal, as I know right where the bolts are. Do you suppose these seats are original? I have no clue.

[frame]Image[/frame]A look inside the driver's door, before all the to-do about the wreck and everything else. Just when I got it home after buying it. It certainly is pretty inside.

Okay, that's it til spring break, which is in eleven days. I'll give you all lots more then, or a bit thereafter.

Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Looking like its going well, but no those seats aren't original, nor is the wood/vinyl on the gloveboxes. But i think the seats look ok and the fact you already have the metal adapter on the floor to take seats with runners will make fitting whatever seat u like a lot easier.
___Anne___

WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

You also have a back axle fitted from a very early Minor! It is from a Sidevalve model, or very early Series 2. They stopped fitting those axles back in 1952/3! :o
I expect you have been wondering why your front and back wheels are different stud spacings! :-? :wink:

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

WPR678B wrote:You also have a back axle fitted from a very early Minor! It is from a Sidevalve model, or very early Series 2.

Did you work that out from the drum design Carlos? Because yes it is the same style fitted to my series II !
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I am very interested to learn about the difference in the rims! My thanks. :) Is this in any way dangerous, and could it degrade the car's handling or performance somehow?

Alex'n'Ane, I'm also quite interested to learn that the seats aren't original, as they sure seem the right fit. If you know of a picture of the original seats, I'd be happy to see a link. :wink: I'd sort of assumed that the glovebox covers weren't original, since they're such strange styling compared to the rest, but again good to know. I do have the original cardboard gloveboxes, however! :D

The rear seat fits very well, but is the same styling. Do you suppose someone reupholstered that? I'll post a picture if that would help, but I doubt I have a good one of the back.
Last edited by Fingolfin on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Restoration restart

Post by Fingolfin »

I'm going back home (thank the heavens and the Earth!) in a few days for spring break. I'll be home a total of nearly 10 days. As such, I intend to do at least some work on Mog. This is a list of what I'll probably do:
  • 1. Take up carpets and inspect floor, and figure out where the brake and gearbox fill holes are. ✔ Done 5/8.
    2. Figure out what's wrong with the horn -- one of the two horns doesn't put out any sound for some reason.
    3. See if the new screws I've obtained will work with the window winder handles. ✔ They don't fit. I'll have to order some from Bull Motif instead.
    4. Clean out the awning on the shed, to place it under for shelter. ✔ Done 3/20. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
    5. Get it rewired (and refill the radiator) just enough so it'll move, so I can place it in the shelter. ✔ Done 3/22.
    6. Give it a really good cleaning in and out. ✔ It doesn't need it. I'd expected some dirtying since the last cleaning, but nope.
    7. Take off the door (once in shelter) and prepare it for the painter's. ✔ Done 4/6.
    8. Lube everything up. ✔
Probably some I'm forgetting.
Major stuff I can remember to do in the summer, when there's more time and less bad weather:
  • 1. Do an intensely thorough structural and mechanical inspection over the whole car. (Take to repair shop as needed.) This includes checking the accuracy of the speedometer, which I suspect is off a bit.
    2. Replace bonnet?, front sidelamps (one's broken, and they're not bright enough for me), door handles (they don't lock).
    3. Add three-point seatbelts all around (for four seats).
    4. Do a total rewiring of the electrical system, making it negative earth and adding hazard lights. I'm considering replacing the dynamo with an alternator and the points with an electronic igniter, updating the voltage regulator, adding a radio and cigarette lighter, getting a reversing lamp, and above all getting a two- or hopefully three-speed wiper motor.
    5. Add rev, water temperature, oil pressure, and amp gauges.
    6. Clean out the heater -- I'm fairly sure it's not living up to its potential.
    7. Rustproof everything thoroughly.
    8. Add some oomph to the engine -- I've read you can boost the 948cc A-series' horses by up to 50%.
    9. Make the interior more comfortable for long trips. Maybe replace the seats?
    10. Patch that hole in the headlining. I won't have the money for a whole new liner.
    11. Consider getting the fuel tank steam-cleaned.
    12. Check and see if the indicators are indeed self-cancelling. Supposedly they're supposed to, but who knows?
    13. Check the integrity of the handbrake system...its relative slackness worries me a bit.
    14. Consider adding windscreen washers; they are at least somewhat a necessity, but they may be rather difficult to fit.
    15. Fix the courtesy light switches in the doors. At least the driver's door one doesn't work.
I'm certain there's some I'm forgetting there. I'll add to both lists as I remember things.
Maybe it seems ambitious. Then again, I've read much more involved restoration projects on here! :D
Last edited by Fingolfin on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 11 times in total.

cammy-p
Minor Fan

Post by cammy-p »

h
Last edited by cammy-p on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is "Ruby" ..
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I had noticed your seats in another topic, Cammy. I must compliment you on a brilliant idea, and (for once) one that an American could easily replicate! :D Did those seats go on runners like the ones I've got? I know you had to chop out some mechanical stuff. In any case, they look just great, and thank you for your gracious welcome!
Last edited by Fingolfin on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.