Pedro, my 1970 morris minor (MODIFIED)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rossrox
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Pedro, my 1970 morris minor (MODIFIED)

Post by rossrox »

Ummmm, happy birthday pedro :P 41 today, its my birthday tommorow so i will have my welder, but as its my 18th it would be rude not to go have a few drinks, so i should be welding suspension up on sunday, which makes me happy as its some actual decent progress!!!
...............................................ЯR................................................

Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

'like' Also happy birthday for tomorrow!
___Anne___

rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

haha cheers
...............................................ЯR................................................

chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

Might be a good idea to take the time to get well accustomed to your new welder before you attempt to weld anything like suspension mounts, since it goes without saying that the welding needs to be absolutely first class!
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

well im only tacking the suspension on, as my welding gets next to no penetration just because i cant keep it in a straight line.

d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

You mentioned that you were changing your choice of wheels?

I bought these for the old trav, but never got round to doing the work to fit them. Dont know if they are of any interest at all?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0561763907

rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

its ok cheers, i think im going to get some steel wheels banded :)

rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

righteo, some bits and bobs done today...

cut out the end of cross member and cut out the slit for the top coil over mount,
[frame]Image[/frame]
trail fit of thicker end piece
[frame]Image[/frame]
welded in and slightly grinded down
[frame]Image[/frame]
trail fit of top coil over mount
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
trail fit of wishbone mount[frame]Image[/frame]

And thats pretty much it... not a huge amount of work but will hopefully finish the front nearside by tommorrow night. :D

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

how does that lower wishbone mount line up? do you have to measure it from somewhere? or is there a tube welded onto the plate the locates into the old eyebolt hole? looks like a nice kit. strongly considering it for my 2 door project (it'll be years til that gets anywhere near done so i can dream!)
rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

theres a hole in the back of the mount, so you turn your eyebolt around and use it from the opposite side so that the threads are in the wheel arch instead of near gearbox, i thought this kit was going to be a complete bitch to install but so far it hasnt been bad at all.

Going in the garage now to finish it off hopefully.

rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

was going to be able to finish this today but broke my one and only clamp :( so cant weld as it will be wonky

dantournay
Minor Friendly

Post by dantournay »

rossrox wrote:its ok cheers, i think im going to get some steel wheels banded :)
Do you know about Citroen C5 steel wheels? I discovered that are actually alloys that look like steels. 15inch, 4 stud 108 pcd, ET18 and 4.7kg a wheel. They're fairly rare but may be worth hunting some down. I bought this set last week http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
[frame]Image[/frame]

rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

Weird!!! Theres a set of wheels i really like but they arent big enough or wide enough, they are peugeot 106 rallye steels, plus for steelies they are pretty expensive!!!

GAS
Minor Fan

Post by GAS »

16" on the back of my rat :-)

G.
ImageImage
rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

im back!!! had a computer issue so wasnt able to come back online, fixed it now.

i have a few little pics to put up, basically i have welded up the passenger side front suspension and im just starting the drivers side,
i have to order alode of bushes for the rear but im not sure if polyuretherene (not sure how that is spelt) or rubber, which is better??? any ideas???
anyway i need that so the axle and springs can go up so i can get started on the rear suspension, which looks harder than the front.

will post pictures up later hopefully.

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i'd recommend poly bushes all the way! especially if you're planning on doing more miles than just 'to the mot station and back' each year. you'll be forever changing them! poly makes the suspension a bit more responsive too. any free play in bushes, including their flexibility governs the amount of time it takes for it to respond to a change in direction. imagine trying to move a glass with a wooden spoon inside. you can move the spoon a bit before the glass does anything! (that probably doesn't make any sense... :P )
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

I too would second poly bushes as they do last far far longer. I would also agree that they change the handling, but tbh i'm not sure if its all in a positive way, i replaced decent condition rubbers with poly when i started to change my rear suspension and i didnt like the handling effect it had, but you get used to it, i'd still go for poly on a new rebuild.
___Anne___

marinusn

Post by marinusn »

please keep me updated because i am packing a project EXCACTLY like this one i am getting my learners next year and i want to use it as my first car ... today is the first time that i see a chopped morris and i absolutly love it. I will get in trouble for saying this but it takes away the jelly tot look from the moggie.so my email address is marinusnortje901@gmail.com since i cant email you please contact me i need some advise MARINUS
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

marinusn wrote:please keep me updated because i am packing a project EXCACTLY like this one i am getting my learners next year and i want to use it as my first car ... today is the first time that i see a chopped morris and i absolutly love it. I will get in trouble for saying this but it takes away the jelly tot look from the moggie.so my email address is marinusnortje901@gmail.com since i cant email you please contact me i need some advise MARINUS
Find out about insurance possibilities before you go ahead and do this, as you could well find no insurance company would touch you!
___Anne___

Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but this kind of project is not for the inexperienced. First car, first time seen chopped Moggie...and plan to make it "EXACTLY the same". Might I suggest you probably don't have the necessary competences. Take a breath or two...

No offence, just sayin'.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD