1971 Met Panda "Rosie" - Now with MOT and TAX :)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pskipper
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1971 Met Panda "Rosie"

Post by pskipper »

I was trying Nitromors, I'd also tried some eco-friendly stuff too which was supposed to be okay for car paint but had the same problems and was water based so gave me rust blooms to clean off as well as being useless! :(
Philip, Lynda and the cars.

pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

It really has taken this long to clean Rosie back to bare metal! So 6 months on and off, child care and PhD slowing things down a tiny bit. So, it's respray time and she's almost done with the primer....[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

So far so good, using heaters and a humidity meter to get reasonable conditions for spraying, hope it doesn't drive the electricity bill up too high!

pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

And again in blue (and white but the doors are carefully stored away at the minute)...[frame]ImageImage[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
There are a few runs to get rid of but she should polish up nicely, annoyingly the wheels aren't anywhere near as nice as they look in the picture as the paint has reacted with the old layers (paint sealer is on order). Giving her a month for the paint to dry properly given the weather before trying any tidying up. In the mean time I just have to remove all the red paint which the previous owner very kindly managed to get on the chrome :roll:

Daddybear1984
Minor Fan

Post by Daddybear1984 »

Very nice work and hopefully the runs will not cause too much trouble, what are you using to spray with might i ask as i have been thinking about getting a compressor for spraying mine and a few other bits but have no clue of what size tank or hp to look into.

kind regards

Scott

When you're in up over your head, the first thing to do is close your mouth.
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

We bought a 200 litre compressor, can't remember the details but it can maintain a good air flow with a tank that side, and I've been using a Devilbiss FLG5 spray gun for the colour coat. I used a cheaper spray gun for the etch and high build primer.

Daddybear1984
Minor Fan

Post by Daddybear1984 »

nice, i was looking at the 100-150l range so it sounds like i am not that far wrong, i look forward to the rest of your thread and thank you for getting back to me so quickly :)

Kind Regards

Scott

ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Its not just the size of the tank but how much the pump can produce that stops you running out of air

Daddybear1984
Minor Fan

Post by Daddybear1984 »

sorry to steal the thread again :oops: i was looking something around 14.5 cfm air displacement, 3 hp, 100 litres, with an 8 bar working capacity

is this acceptable for spraying?

my apologies and kind regards

Scott

pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Well the spray gun I'm using has 9.8cfm and 2.4 bar operating and 12 bar static as the operating parameters if that helps

Daddybear1984
Minor Fan

Post by Daddybear1984 »

i would hope that the stats i mention should be capable of spraying then at worst i might have to wait for the compressor to catch up or whatever but sounds to me like i a not that far out with it, thank you again for your information, make buying a compressor much easier :)

alexandermclaren
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by alexandermclaren »

pskipper wrote:And again in blue (and white but the doors are carefully stored away at the minute)...[frame]ImageImage[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
There are a few runs to get rid of but she should polish up nicely, annoyingly the wheels aren't anywhere near as nice as they look in the picture as the paint has reacted with the old layers (paint sealer is on order). Giving her a month for the paint to dry properly given the weather before trying any tidying up. In the mean time I just have to remove all the red paint which the previous owner very kindly managed to get on the chrome :roll:
looking hot
like the paint job very neat

loosewheels
Minor Friendly

Post by loosewheels »

Hello,
I notice you have rolled your minor in a garage, could you tell me the width of your garage as I'm building one and need to be able to roll my minor over to work on it.Thank you.
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Hi Loosewheels,

Our garage is 3.2 meters wide internally (probably 3.5 including the walls. We also went for a higher roof as the jig we have lifts and rolls on the central axis. We also went longer than standard for a storage area at the back. I think we were something like 0.5m2 off of needing planning permission, we had to go for a flat roof instead of a pitched roof in the end to avoid planning :D

pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Reassembly has begun :D

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Wiring loom is now in properly, steering rack back on (need to replace one of the gaiters) and started on the brakes :)

Daddybear1984
Minor Fan

Post by Daddybear1984 »

sounds great and can't wait to see more pics more pics the merrier as far as i am concerned :D

kind regards

Scott

pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Will try to get more pics up soon, the race is on to get her MOT'ed and to the national :)

pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

[frame]ImageImage[/frame][frame]ImageImage[/frame]

All coming together! Still a lot of work to go to get her MOT'ed and road tested before the National though!

pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

More work done, bonnet badges, windscreen and side windows fitted, gearbox cover fitted, doors aligned properly, windscreen wipers now on, passengers side glovebox fitted and now I realise I'll need to take it out again to do the headlining. All going well, apart from where the boot doesn't line up on one side, but it should be able to be encouraged back into alignement :)

Daddybear1984
Minor Fan

Post by Daddybear1984 »

glad to hear all is going so well and i'll be interested to know how you get on with the headlining as i head that is a nightmare to do

Kind regards

Scott