Malta Pick Up Restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MaltaMM
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Malta Pick Up Restoration

Post by MaltaMM »

Well here goes, after reading about numerous interesting and inspiring restoration projects I thought I might post something about my pick up restoration!

My 1967 Morris started life as a GPO van in London and was originally registered SLO 203F (thanks to both Russ Harvey and Chris of the POMM reg). It was imported to Malta in 1976 and as was the common practice then, its van body was removed and a Malta made pick up box was fitted. These pick ups were extremely popular with small businesses here in Malta and were particularly used by farmers who found them ideal for the narrow country lanes.

There was quite a busy industry producing the pick up boxes, each manufacturer produced them to approximately the same specs but there were various different details. Some had completaly plain sides, whilst others were more ornate with a design running all along the lower edge and wheelarches; some opted for simple trailor rear lights, whilst others had small rear fins added to accomodate different rear lights such as Austin A40 Farina lights, Simca Aronde lights and Ford Anglia 105E lights; some incorporated modified original pick up cab backs with the original small rear window, whilst others had locally made cab backs with larger rear windows; some had completaly plain tailgates whilst others had a more ornate type which featured a particular embossed design consisting of an embossed diamond like shape in the centre and two embossed elongated sideways triangles on each side.

Although once extremely common on Maltese roads, these pick ups have now become rather rare having been practically all replaced by Japanese pick ups :( .

My Morris was last on the road in 1995 and I acquired it after it spent years languishing in a garage and also a couple of months in a field. The plan is to restore the pick-up for daily use and to "Maltese" specification, as a tribute to the various Maltese body-builders and to ensure that at least one such vehicle will still be able to be seen regularly on our roads. The restoration will include hand-painting it blue and white, in the traditional way, adding numerous bits of period chromework together with a Maltese made persepex sunvisor and also finishing it off with some traditional Maltese signwriting known locally as "tberfil". As was the common practice here in Malta, it is currently fitted with a Marina engine (itself also ex UK!), however I intend to fit it back with a 1098cc engine.

Here are some "as found" shots, and also a couple of pics of its first drive under its own steam in quite a few years!

Wish me luck!

Stu[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by MaltaMM on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Re: Malta Pick Up Restoration

Post by Neil MG »

Sounds like a great project!

Best of luck and keep us posted!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

wow stu, that looks well worth the effort to restore it, thats a piece of alternative morris minor pickup history right there.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
MaltaMM
Minor Friendly

Post by MaltaMM »

Thanks for your comments guys, here are some more pics of it in "as found" condition. I plan to start the restoration some time next month hopefully. My time is somewhat limited so I have no idea how long it will take me!!

Heres a shot of the interior showing its non original earlier steering wheel, billiard ball gear knob and with its dash panel painted black presumably to make it look more "modern". At least it still has the original (GPO) metal door trims. [frame]Image[/frame]

About to leave the field she was resting in[frame]Image[/frame]

Loaded up and ready to come home. Who knows how many hours of fun lie ahead!![frame]Image[/frame]
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Is this the one with the '68 identity, but a '66 cab?

Chassis plate will be on the n/s dr on SLO 203F/if BVB-D on the o/s engine bay bulkhead.

Has it still got its original 10MA-U-L engine?

POMM
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
MaltaMM
Minor Friendly

Post by MaltaMM »

POMMReg wrote:
Has it still got its original 10MA-U-L engine?

POMM
No its fitted with a 1275cc Marina Engine but I will be fitting it back with a 1098cc engine.

Here she is at the beginning of the strip down[frame]Image[/frame]
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

[frame]Image[/frame]
When you put this picture up; "loaded up", at first glance I thought the back was actually loaded with ballast :lol:
good luck with the project!
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

happy days, great project, keep us updated won't you.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Front half is '66, rear is probably SLO 203F - check the windscreen rubber, has it got an separate insert?

Cab code of SLO 203F = Z37923-4, not Z37254-5

POMM
MaltaMM
Minor Friendly

Post by MaltaMM »

The windscreen rubber has a separate insert although it seems most likely that this was changed at some time as the sun here in Malta causes havoc on rubber parts. As was common practice here in the 1970s, the chassis has been replaced with a heavy duty Malta made one. A number of local firms used to fabricate these. Dozens of ex UK Morris Minor vans and second hand parts were imported to Malta in the 1970s. Sadly practically everything has been scrapped now and replaced with second hand or new Japanese commercial vehicles. The aim of my project is to restore this Morris back to full Maltese specification!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Indication of the chassis plate being on the engine bay bulkhead?

203's would have been on the n/s cab dr liner.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Working on 1964-1967 GPO change points last night...

Washer Screenjet bkt on bulkhead of SLO-F - this hasn't so between BVB 1-567D.