Pickup restoration part three

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidmiles
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Pickup restoration part three

Post by davidmiles »

I was just over on the ESM WEBSITE, and noticed the difference.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

and here we go, use of a narrow chisel and away it came. now for the new seal, I was going to put it in the flat face down, opposite to how it is in this picture, but you say it goes in like this, open face toward the bearing
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

David
The new seal goes into the hub as orientated in the picture above.
Open side towards bearing or the lip spring towards the bearing.

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

thanks Phil that clears that up.

so on with the hub, i've re- filled the diff oil and am going to place a sheet of paper down there overnight and check it for oil drips in the morning. Plenty to get on with tomorrow.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

David
That looks much nicer !!
Bob
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Thanks Bob, clean and tidy. My next puzzle is the rear shock absorber top mount, it's been incorrectly fitted from the start, my fault, now the rubbers are failing and it's time to fit the proper mounting.

the parts look like this, though in what order they fit I am unsure.

here's the other side dismantled ready for the new parts. Anyone know if all these go on in between the two side pieces on the chassis?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

David
Well done!
You need to fit her drum (reversed and without the drum screws will do so you can see what is happening) and the wheel nuts fitted otherwise the joint is held together by the 1/4" UNF countersunk screw which is not enough to hold it all together to check for leaking.
After the above the hub needs to be turned several times to ensure that seal, 'o' ring and gasket are not leaking.
When you are happy with the sealing the drum can be refitted right way round and job completed.
Also check that the drain hole is clear in the brake back plate.

mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

David
My stab at it would be ... if " in line " with the fixing on the spring ,i.e it is all in a straight line, then as per your laid out metal parts.
Bolt first , big penny washer , inboard of the U channel
large spacer / sleeve,
first rubber bush , chamfer towards centre line of damper eye
damper eye
second rubber bush , chamfer backwards , towards centre line
bolt through the sloping edge of bracket
smaller one of the metal spacers / sleeve
bolt head emerging to outside of the U channel
smaller plain washer
securing nut
I stand ready to be " corrected " Guys and Gals

I'd use my good old standby of Coppa ease for assembly , avoiding the rubber bushes ! Any metal to metal contact , the bolt , outboard side of the large bush retaining washers , the small spacer / sleeve, fixing nut and penny washer.
The underside of the vehicle , open to the elements , takes a pounding , so any protection is a worth while investment.
Bob
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Regarding the damper top mounts:
This assembly sequence is taken from the 1/4 Ton van parts list:-

Starting from the head of the bolt Pt No: AJD6320Z -
Flat plain washer Pt No: PWZ106.
Piece distance (short) top mounting Pt No: AAA2369.
Washer plain large bush retaining Pt No: AJD7232. Fits between the top mounting and bush rubber Pt No: ACB8871.
Bush (rubber) Pt No: ACB8871.
Damper Pt No: AAA3629.
Sleeve top mounting Pt No: AAA2368.
Bush (rubber) Pt No: ACB8871.
Washer plain large bush retaining Pt No: AJD7232. Fits between the top mounting and bush rubber Pt No: ACB8871.
Washer spring Pt No: LWZ206.
Nut bolt Pt No: AJD8106Z.

I cannot determine from the parts list whether the distance piece Pt No AAA2369 goes between the top mounting and washer Pt No: AJD7232 or it fits outside the top mounting because the bolt supplied (as original) is too long.
Assembly will determine the distance pieces position but I believe it fits outside the top mounting bracket.

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Thanks Bob, thanks Phil, I'll be getting on with the shock mounts first thing. The drum mounted reversed, looks odd, but it does hold it all together and not block your view.

once Ive completed the shock absorber top mounts and the brakes are done, my next item will be the front shock absorber, it's leaking, but from where?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Try tightening those top cover screws.
The gasket shrinks and the gasket allows oil to pass.
Also check the condition of the washer under the head of the filling plug.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Regarding the rear shock mounting, it's worth mentioning that the near side bolt and the offside bolt are put in the opposite way. In other words one bolt goes in from the front of the top cross member, the other from the back. The small spacer, passes through the outer parts of the cross member brackets ( it can only go through from one end) and stops when it hits the inner part. In fact this will determine which way round you put the bolts, as this small spacer sits after the washer that is next to the bolt head.

jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

There was no mention that I saw, but did you apply grease to the rear hub seal and the axle where they ride? Running that seal dry until some oil gets out there will ruin the seal. The half shaft flange screw is to be tightened again through the hole in the drum that is to be lined up with it.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Just an observation on the last picture.

I don't know if you have moved it to get access but that cable laying over the suspension doesn't look right, it may just be the angle of the picture, but if it is just floating around near things that move it could wear through against something.

It looks like a permanent live on the battery side so a short is going to be rather dramatic.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

thanks for all you help with the rear shock top mounts gentlemen, one more item to strike through , five down only eight points to go.
my next problem was solved as Phil suggested by tightening the top screws and renewing the washer on the filler cap.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

this might not be everyone's cup of tea, but after so many failures I decided to motorize the windscreen wash pump, a kit from ESM, so far Ive wired the earth between the clean metal washers of the pump mount, connected the hoses up, just the lead to the switch and then on to the power.

then, a snag, the switch doesn't fit through the wash pump hole in the dash, thinking maybe take power from one of the spare connectors behind the dash? the switch only has two connectors.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

jakel and biomed, thanks both for your observations, I'll make sure they are dealt with.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

bleeding the brakes, and with every depression of the pedal I could hear a squerting noise coming from the master cylinder, then I noticed this huge puddle developing underneath the front axle stands, directly below the front chassis leg.

so, no sooner than one problem sorted, when another shows itself, but I wonder if this has been the cause of my brake woe all along? had to grind off the screws to get the master cylinder cover plate off.

on closer inspection, that lot may have to come out and have it's joints,connections and seals replaced. Lucky I'm not in any hurry and Ive given myself till summer to get Alice back on the road, so no stress.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

Some original BMC mechanics say they had a policy of not pumping the pedal the full stroke during a bleed after a brake component repair. The theory was the piston would be traveling farther than normal and damage to the seal was possible they found if they did, the customer was back soon with a MC issue. That is penny wise and a pound foolish type of thinking. You no doubt have pits directly below the master cylinder ports such that the secondary seal that keeps the fluid from going out the boot is leaking.

I know some don't like silicone brake fluid but I've had it in thirty years with no maintenance. After a few years of inactivity recently, I'm getting these cars back to regular use, so I'm freshening the brake system and I report, no rust, and no pits. Regular fluid would not be so good.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Looks like your m/ cylinder hasn't been looked at for years. You'd be wise, when the fancy takes you, to strip all that out and clean the area before a good coat of protection.