1954 series 11 black 4 door

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
themightylionel
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1954 series 11 black 4 door

Post by themightylionel »

stevey when you find a painter let me know! or as you say.. i may resort to do it myself :-? but lionel's national 2014 aswell! :D

Lionel and I, my 1965 2 door :)
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

well weve both got deadlines to meet, really need it ready for Bangor Elim in May so it can be checked out.

As the weather wasnt up to much today David and I had look at the seats. Ive got a 2 door upright for the rear seat, which will need modified to fit correctly (the sides - end panels need changing) as for the base, ive got the original springs and loads of bits which will need sorted and stitched together to make something. As for the fronts, they are the early type seats not the envelope type. The backs arent bad, one has a piece of piping missing which i can live with at present the others pretty good. Ive also got 1 decent base and bits and pieces that could be made into a base. on the plus plus side the frames are good, so ive got the makings of a good seat and enough to try and make another. Cleaned them up today, the leathers looking good.[frame]Image[/frame]

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Finally got motivation to get more welding done. B posts both sides now sorted, just need a final clean up of the weld. The C post on the passsengers side is proving tricky. Unlike later cars, it slopes downward at the very bottom (easier to see in the snaps - it doesnt come down straight) So trying to copy the driverside as at least theres something there to copy, the passengerside bottom had completely gone![frame]Image[/frame] C post - driverside[frame]Image[/frame] C post repair patch in progress Passenger side.

So getting there!

Got the very rotten original doors stripped i think there for the bin, unless some adventurous person really really wants them. :D (ps thats whats left of the bottoms)[frame]Image[/frame]

PPS - a complete 4 door door fits snugly in the boot of a saloon with the seat folded, you learning something new everyday.[frame]Image[/frame]

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

C post pretty much done today. Amazing the amount of lead that had been used to improve the profile.[frame]Image[/frame]

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

It gets quite interesting when you don't realise it is there and try to weld to it!

There is quite a bit in the rear bodyside to boot suround panel and across the front of the roof, I am still in two minds weather try to replace it with lead or used p40 glass reinforced filler.

kevin
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Yes, but on later cars there doesnt seem as much, well ive never come across it in the same quantity

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Since the last time, the boot has been wire brushed, treated and painted with red primer. Other work was to remove the steering rack for a good clean and ill put the new gaiters on it before it goes back in. The other rear door was also put on. I had procured (well borrowed) some replacement hinges as there was some wear, not too much though. The hinges came from and 1964 4 door, but with these fitted to door was too far forward in the aperture. So we went back with the originals and just swapped the bottom for the top. It took a good deal of time to fit it correctly, but its a good job. Started wire brushing the engine bay today. Got about a third of it done then decided i really needed to destroy something so ripped out the rotten battery box bottom then decided to call it a day. :D [frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Coming on well :)
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Hi guys

Well got the whole engine bay wire brushed and jenolited. Fixed the battery tray and also the two strengthening panels above the bump stops - the bottom inch on both sides needed replacing. sounds like not a lot but took a few days to do. Got really irritated putting one wee small patch in, kept dropping it on the floor every time i went to weld. Its great to have mates that help you out. Cheers David! :D[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Steveys irritation was really funny to watch, once the steam started coming out his ears and the air turned blue I helped clamp up the patch!!

Too many Minors so little time.....
kjm
Minor Addict

Post by kjm »

coming on nicely boys :D

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

C post up for it today. got half it done and that needs grinding off, so progressing a little bit at a time - after this there is a wee hole in the dash to plug and thats the shell pretty much done!!!! yay :D just....wings... bonnet, boot and bumper valances to do and the MIG can have a rest!

Before
[frame]Image[/frame]

After[frame]Image[/frame]

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Got C-post completely done now so that the back done. Also got the wee hole in the dash plugged up. After than i spent the better part of the day jammed under the dash with the wire wheel - very uncomfortable but worth it -now treated ready for the red primer.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

So got the whole floor into red primer!! Just needs another coat and then the black can go on. David managed to get the secondhand wing and front door fitting nicely so at least before repairs we know it fitted. I got the front wing back to bare metal so we can see where needs work. Filling in the sidelight hole should be straight forward and most of the rot at the front will be gone when it gets cut to fit the chessey front grill. Most of the repair work is the usual rot at the rear. To make things easier the inner pressing has been drilled out and removed which allows better access to the outer skin for repairs. Also made a start on wire brushing the rear wings, they both will need repairs along the bottom edges. Didnt get them finished today, the grinder vibrates with the wire brush on which can get tiring! :D[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

A very important thumbs up from Bert there!!

This old wing is much sounder than it looks and about twice the weight of a new one. The whole project is coming along nicely :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:A very important thumbs up from Bert there!!

This old wing is much sounder than it looks and about twice the weight of a new one. The whole project is coming along nicely :D
Good progress there old boy and your expertise is paying off each day we see you getting nearer that magic finishing date keep posting :D :D

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Well once again, the power of friends wins through!!! A mega thanks to Paddy, David, Uncle Robert, Bertie and Sam who appeared yesterday to help on wing duty. David and Uncle Robert managed miracles with the front wing, reconstructing the bottom sections of the outer skin and inner pressings from scratch! After trial fitting the wing the front edge was modified to fit the early grill - the side light being plated over and new hockey stick holes drilled.

While that was going on the rear wings were also sorted, the bottom edges of both needing areas cut out and new metal welded in. The mount strips on both rear wings needed attention too. The final job is to finish off adding reinforcing sections to the rear edge to prevent them cracking in the future. An Excellent days work, cheers chaps!!![frame]Image[/frame]
Front wing repair

[frame]Image[/frame]

[frame]Image[/frame]
Rear wing edge strengthing panel before welding

[frame]Image[/frame]
All trial fitted!

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Looks great :D
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Well not much done recently, I did get motivation to completely wire brush the rear wings back to bare metal and get them treated. A really boring nasty job using that wire brush attachment on the angle grinder! Also made a start on the front bumper valance. Got this wire brushed as well. As usual there was rot at both ends and the bit that holds the number plate on had snapped off. I got this bit welded and one side sorted. The other end will need a bit more cut out and a section let in.[frame]Image[/frame]Rear wings sorted[frame]Image[/frame]Bumber valance wire brushed[frame]Image[/frame]one end sorted :D

We progress slowly ..... how many days left till national! :wink:

themightylionel
Minor Fan

Post by themightylionel »

167 days before National :D

Lionel and I, my 1965 2 door :)