1954 series 11 black 4 door

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1954 series 11 black 4 door

Post by stevey »

Lick of paint and it looks great!!![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Looking good! Its a long time since that car was black and shiney underneath 8)

Time for another coat today, its been 16 hours.......

Too many Minors so little time.....
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

2nd coat done, thats jenolite, then 3 coats red rust stop primer, then 2 in black. Think that will do ok..any more paint and the 803 wont have the puff to move it :D

minor65
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by minor65 »

:lol: :lol:

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Drivers side front suspension back in with new trunnions and bushes. the red bit it the photo is the bump stop repair that needs tidying in the engine bay, well at least its back on its feet again!!! :D[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Rolling, rolling, rolling!! Not for long though as the axle will be out soon :D

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Right, got the rear axel off today, doesnt look to bad a bit of wear on the halfshafts, but nothing to worry about. Wire brushed the casing and took the diff out. The rear springs, as said previously are very cut in and worn so going to take them to Belfast Spring works and see if i can get a set made up tomorrow morning, as i want to keep the early 7 leaf rear end. Also noticed that one spring is stamped 54, also to be sad... the screws for the quarterlight are wider than 1000s, didnt know that.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame] (Spring stamp)[frame]Image[/frame]
Quarterlight hinges

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

You might have cleaned that quarter light before you took a pic......... :D

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

well... no excuse really, :D

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

started at the lower boot panel repair. Cut out the thin bits and the rot, then lined up the repair panel after trimming it. Its a real pain to line up, but is thin enough to bend. after alot and i meant a lot of pushing and pulling, david and i got it into some sort of shape. tacked it in and then seam welded it. plug welded along the bottom edge, only the small bits where the bottom of the wing goes to do.

It didnt look too bad but was very thin along the bottom and rough around the bumper irons[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

Ace work sir!!!

How did you get on the the springworks? I'll be needing the same set!
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

sorry havent got back on this sooner. I got the springs reset (you can just see them on the floor on the last photo in the previous post) The leaves were badly cut into but i was able to get another set from a friend, although not in much better nick the spring works were able to use both sets to make me up a good set and then reset both springs to match each other. Nice guys. decided to wire brush the original front wing yesterday. A few more holes on than i expected. I knew the pressing on the inside was like cheese, but there were holes along the outer edge (where they all go) and 2 small holes at the headlight. So back to bare metal now ready to go back over to Davids where we can repair it. :D[frame]Image[/frame] Before wire brushing - very surface rusty[frame]Image[/frame] and after, will post some snaps of the holes next time.
Last edited by stevey on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

With the weather so rubbish at present, thought id attempt to work out a way to replace the weatherstrips on the rear 4 door doors using my good secondhand doors. The glass doesnt go down far enough to get at it without risk of damaging paint. I started by removing the glass stop. Then the window regulator. With this off the glass slides down that wee bit further and would make life easier when replacing the weather strips. With that done, decided to fully strip the doors for when they need painting. I dropped the remote mechanism to the bottom of the door and then removed the door top and glass. With the door tops and glass out managed to get the door lock remote out via the internal door handle hole. (PS the external door handle would have been the first thing off when stripping the doors but there was none on my replacement doors)[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame](glass stop)[frame]Image[/frame](regulator out)[frame]Image[/frame](remote out)

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Rear Axle in today. New bearings and oil seals. New bushes and rubbers all round. Replaced shock oil, all looks lovely.[frame]Image[/frame]

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

all looks lovely
Seconded :)

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Cheers for that :D
Got the Passengers side B post repairs done today, which also let us fit one of the replacement doors ( the original ones were really rotten). That should help with alignment when fixing the C post - have to say Davids origami skills when making templates is second to none! :D[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Are you starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel?
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

It`s probably a train coming towards you :wink:
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

well, the welding must be nearly done. need to find a good body bloke for the painting, but its coming along! :D

A train? well its not blinding yet. :lol:

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Hope you all can read this, incase you cant it says NATIONAL 2014 - will it be ready, will Stevey go completely mental in the process, would we notice?? So watch this space for progress as its been booked onto the ferry for the national as the boat fares special offers are out[frame]Image[/frame]