1954 series 11 black 4 door

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
minor 62
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1954 series 11 black 4 door

Post by minor 62 »

has stevey been standing on your minor david ? :lol:
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I shall claim the 5th on that......... :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

oh thats awfull :D
Well he only lets me use a screwdriver undersupervision :D

minor 62
Minor Friendly

Post by minor 62 »

i should think so to, i seen what you done with your screwdriver to sam,s convertable, and he only asked you to see what you thought of his new project :o
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

well....... no excuse your honour but at least there was no rust left :wink:

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Well been a while. Ive given into temptation and bought the beastie from David. As its still locked in Davids garage until its in one piece again, ive taken some smaller bits home to play with. Once the heater pipes were cut, the demister pipes removed and the wires disconnected, the heater was removed. The heater had no leaks and worked well. The front casing was unclipped and repainted gold. The matrix was back flushed and repainted black. The motor was then removed and cleaned. The metal coupling for the screen demisters just pulls out of the casing; this was repainted black and refitted. The whole heater was then reassembled and stored.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

I think you have missed a bit :o

Seriously though, good work old chap!

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Started messing about with the bonnet flash yesterday, had a bit of time when i came home from working on a mates pickup :D
The early bonnet flashes have separate medallions for the Ms. I had bough a decent flash at the national but the Ms were in a bad state. Luckly the Ms on the original flash were good but the chrome was very badly pitted. Discovered that the Ms are held in by a spring. Carefully eased out one side and unclipped the spring and pushed the other side out. I then refitted them to the better chrome base. Not bad i thought. :D

[frame]Image[/frame]
Better chrome and Medallions

[frame]Image[/frame]
Medallions, one with spring the other with hook

[frame]Image[/frame]

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Havent been doing alot recently. Enjoying the summer too much. David and I decided to strip the brakes out incase they started sticking. No problems and changed the wheels to later 1000 rims to keep the car mobile. The original Series 2 rims can then have the rubbish tyres removed and be blasted at some time. We also wire brushed half the floor and jenolited it then painted it. Oh yes and also took the dynamo home, painted it and rebrushed it. Smashing. :D
[frame]Image[/frame]
At Davids garage.
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

wilfred

Post by wilfred »

Looks like a faithful old horse waiting patiently while it's re-shoed. If only it could talk.
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Hi guys

Some progress at last, this working lark doesnt half reduce minoring time.

Since the last time, the coil, air cleaner and horn are now painted.
[frame]Image[/frame]
Air cleaner in bare metal before painting.

[frame]Image[/frame]
Horn painted.

As well as that I dismantled, cleaned and refurbished the starter motor. Easy jobs. All electric stuff is stamped 54, so its nice to know its still original equipment. (ps the carpet is an old off cut from somewhere, not in our house!!) :D [frame]Image[/frame]

As well as that I went over to Davids today, just for a chat, and we ended up taking the head off the 803. There no lip on the bores, so the top half on the engine rebuild should be easy enough.... hopefully.[frame]Image[/frame]

The engine is a gold seal. The engine number has a F H stamped under it and according to a list I found online, gold seals are listed as follows. The first letter is the new piston size, the second is the crank shaft size.
A = Standard
B =10THOU over sized
C = 15THOU crankshaft over sized
D = 20THOU over sized
E = 25 THOU crankshaft over sized
F = 30THOU over sized
G = 35THOU crankshaft over sized
H = 40THOU over sized
J = 45THOU crankshaft over sized
K = 50THOU over sized
L = 55THOU crankshaft over sized
M = 60THOU

And true to form the pistons are indeed stamped +0.30[frame]Image[/frame]

So itll be engine rebuild before flipping the car for the welding.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

We were trying to get the starter dog to shift earlier and it wouldnt move, its the only thing so far that hasnt come apart easily. We left a spanner tied down with the car in gear to put some tension on it. I went back in tonight and it hadnt budged. I then realised if I put the rope round the bottom pulley and tied it to the passenger side engine tower that it would grip the pulley tight while I put serious pressure on the nut. After a couple of attempts at standing on the spanner, without falling :D it freed off!

Absolutely on wear ridge on the bores of the engine and the rocker shaft looks brand new, hopefully the bottom end will be as good. Also very little carbon on the valves but its an easy job to clean them up and grind in.

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I love that you're rebuilding it as a collaboration! Wish I had some friends who were interested.........:lol:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

foofoournan
Minor Friendly

Post by foofoournan »

janstolp wrote:Image

Like this,this tank looked O.K. but the top was rusted through and the filter completely blocked.
Regards Jan
Stupid question but how do you open the fuel tank like this? :)

My 1960 Morris Minor.
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

So the starter dog, came off in the end, great.
Fingolfin wrote:I love that you're rebuilding it as a collaboration! Wish I had some friends who were interested.........:lol:
Well I thought friends were there to be irritated repeatedly. :D only joking David............ I think.
foofoournan wrote:Upload Picture  More Info...
I assume a big chisel. Mine was rusted out at the bottom.

foofoournan
Minor Friendly

Post by foofoournan »

Ah I see now that it's been cut open!
Well I think the filter inside is blocked as I charged the rest of the fuel line and and it still seems blocked :/ was hoping I would be able to open it and sort it but I see now this won't be so easy! Lol

My 1960 Morris Minor.
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

David had blocked petrol tank, he got an old petrol pipe and connected to a footpump. A few pumps and it cleared it. (actually took forever to sort but that did it...i hope)

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

This is the state of the original tank from this car, I never seen a rustier one!! Amazingly the float for the gauge wasnt damaged and after one squirt with WD40 it freed off without any damage. [frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
I think the petrol and sludge at the bottom of the tank hardens up on the gauze and blocks it up. As Stevey says I cleared mine with a foot pump, but only because my brother had the compressor at his house, it would have been a quick and easy job to use it!

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Head off and stripped down, all looks to be grand, not much carbon at all.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
I took this one so Stevey knows I didnt just remove the valves and chuck them in the corner........... Springs, collars? and rocker shaft all cleaned as well. All the valve stem oil seals were very hard and most of them broke up.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Hey that came out well!!! Glad your taking photos for the archieve, taught you well. Arent friends great. :D