1954 series 11 black 4 door

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1954 series 11 black 4 door

Post by stevey »

Well a day or two got some work done. The chassis leg was a bit thin up to the eyebolt, so this was repaired first. The tie plate needed a repair around the second hole. Not the neatest job as I bought myself a new MIG and still hadnt worked out the settings quite yet. It should tidy up though. To make matters worse the small gas bottle ran out thats the last time I buy one so its the big bottle from now on. With no gas on had we made up repair sections to finish the area above the tie plate and the boxing panel between the sills. The front sill was clamped into position ready for the next days work. The outer sill will be replaced later on[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
The bumper iron was badly rusted. in order to make sure it was in right place the front bumper was put in place (minus valance and chrome)[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Got the boxing panel repaired at the bottom and the front wing and inner sill welded into place. We started on the back today. As you can see the rear spring hanger is well past it (this spring is badly worn so will need to look out for a set of early 7 leaf springs)
We removed it after careful measuring then lined up the new one. Next the floor edge was welded to the spring hanger and both clamped into place for welding next time.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame] under the seat repair[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I was very surprised to find some body solder on the bottom of the c post when I was welding on the new edge, certainly seems to have been factory applied. I worked on another couple of later 4 doors and in fairness there wasnt much metal left at that point but there was no sign of body solder having been used.

Anyone else came accross this before?

Also completed a localised repair to the end of the crossmember today, the next days welding should hopefully see the spring hanger back in place and hopefully the new edge were the new floor meets the bit under the back seat. Coming on well 8)

Too many Minors so little time.....
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Got the spring hanger welded in today and sill. A lick of paint finished it all off. looks good. have a look at how badly cut the spring is.[frame]Image[/frame]
The floor needed a small section added in and a little patch at the rear of the spring hanger.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Not much progress lately only been doing little things. With David reshuffling his garage to make room for more spares I decided to take the radiator home with me and back flush it and repaint it. Typically it leaked. It has been recored at some point in its past as it has a brass Belfast label where the Morris Radiator label should be. I took it to a local radiator refurbishers who said that it had suffered severe pressure at some point as the header tank was bowed out, but they could repair it. It looks like no antifreeze in the past was the culprit. Sad as I am I asked them to keep the original refurb label on it and they even repainted it for me!!!![frame]Image[/frame]

The only other enjoyment was to see David and his neighbor Stanley sweat taking some tyres off rims, now that was an education!!! Thanks guys :D[frame]Image[/frame]

minor65
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by minor65 »

Glad to hear the radiator could be saved. That last picture reminds me of some of our members :lol: :lol:

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

!!!!!! :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

:D

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Back from a great MOT UK trip and realized i hadnt updated this in a while, simply i havent done much. The engine got a lick of paint, which i still think is a bit too bright? Chris has suggested hammerite gold, which I will try but cant anyone think of other options for engine paint>[frame]Image[/frame]

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Goldfinger would be proud!
I'm sure it will darken in use, maybe mix a bit of black paint in what you have?

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

When repainting my engine Gold I used some american stuff from Frosts, I believe it was called "Olds Gold" or possibly "Olsmobile gold". Will dig out a picture of the engine once it was sprayed in this.

YG
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

In America, the word "Olds" is short for "Oldsmobile." :wink: At least in my experience it does.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

It would be good to see how it matches up... thanks

kjm
Minor Addict

Post by kjm »

I saw your car on Sunday evening Stevie, floor is a credit to you both,this winter should see her finished ,I bought a new battery for the cortina today,coming out of hibernation soon. :D

youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

Right, here is a picture of my engine in Olds gold.

This is the paint I used, funny stuff....only worked well when sprayed due to its high pigment content.
http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-olds-gold- ... 473ml.html

Hope this helps,

YG[frame]Image[/frame]
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Nice deep lustre to that gold, looks good.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Cheers guys. That looks like a good colour match. So it needs to be sprayed then? Ill look into that. Thanks!! Thanks Kenny, nearly there with the welding... need to get back to it. Hopefully the new garage extention will get started soon and ill have more spare to take a few bits home and sort.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Left the engine be at present. started playing with the sill and flitch panel. Cut out the Outer sill ok and then attacked the inner wing. Cut out the rot, but my patch making skills.... or rather my listening skills arent up to the best. Slowly drove David nutts by making teh prefect patch then ruining it and then having to weld it up again. Oh well :D Got the patch in place and decided to call it a day. Each step forward and all that!!![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Big push yesterday to tidy up the welding on the Drivers side. Finished off the inner wing, just the very edge of the door post to finish and thats it!!! :D Trial fitted the wing to check it will fit, so its good. Outer sills on and the rear chassis leg sorted. I was getting very frustrated sorting out the bum stop area, wasnt in the zone for the MIG, so David took pity on me and sorted it with the gas while doing the sills.

So that leaves the battery box, B and C post bottoms (need the doors on to check that) and the boot outer panel to weld once its back on its wheels... we progress :D[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Brilliant job