1954 series 11 black 4 door

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1954 series 11 black 4 door

Post by Dean »

You guys are making this look easy. Well done! :D
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

In regards to the pulley/front cover/felt seal, one should insert the pulley into the seal/cover first and then assemble that to the engine. At the very least the cover should be still loose when the pulley is inserted so that everyting is centered the best. As a newbie I assembled the other way and had oil leaks from the begining.
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

Thats what we did. Getting the felt seal in was no problem, but fitting the pulley through was difficult, then the plate with the pulley stuck thorough was bolted onto the block. Hopefully all will be ok.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Hi guys not much happening recently, hope to get back to it soon. I order a restrictor for the oil filter from Switzerland (many thanks Declan for sorting this out for me). I havent fitted it yet, but it looks like a good piece of kit. The only other progress has been with the Dizzy. I took it home and found that the vacuum advance wasnt working. No one locally had a DM2 distributor and any i bought online might have being the same condition, so I decided to try and fix it.

I carefully uncrimped the edges (using a screw driver hit around the edge) and opened the unit. As expected the diaphragm inside had gone hard and crispy and had split in places. Looking at other sites, I found that a bicycle inner tube might work and cut one to suit. I fitted this with a small self tapper and reassembled. The edges of the 'can' were sealed with a smear of sealant and edge beaten down again. Doing the suck test, it seemed to work. So hopefully it'll be ok.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Diaphragm removed

I hope to get at it again at the weekend.

Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

This is a great project, brilliant pictures and encouraging to see someone local is in as big a project as me!
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Thanks
Well, couldnt pass up a local reg cheese grater!

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Progress at last. Finished sorting out the rear floor on the passengerside. The small wee patches were really difficult as no matter how low a power setting on the MIG they kept blowing through, but sorted it in the end.

David also got the sill and spring hanger sorted. The original holes were still in situ (the spot welds we drilled out) and helped with the alignment. The hanger was bolted then finally welded into position. With the sills, the boxing panel was repaired along its bottom edge then the new outer sill was trimmed to length and welded into position. Great progress.

Pictures show it better.[frame]Image[/frame]
old outer sill and lower boxing panel cut out then repaired.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Me hiding from all the rust!!!! :D[frame]Image[/frame]everything in place including the spring hanger[frame]Image[/frame]
a lick of paint

looking good!!!

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Looks really well, excellent progress.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Dont know about Stevey hiding from rust, more like hiding from work :D :D :D

Good progress over the last couple of days even though its been really cold here, lots of layers of t shirts on the the pot belly stove lit in the garage always helps! Im not getting on very well with the MIG welder though, I thought I sort of had it sussed but now it just keeps blowing the pool of weld away. It sis a different gas but I dont think that should matter? Also not the most expensive of welders available .

Too many Minors so little time.....
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Well started on the passengerside front inner wing. The section where the sidelight touches the inner wing needed replacing. I cut out a new patch for this and David and Robert Gault modified it to fit in the indent for the side light. This was then welded in. The rear inner wing was also wire brushed and painted (around areas that need repair). The Tie plate is next. The inner wing had had a repair before we got hold of it. Its expertly done and must have been done not long after the car had been sold. It hard to see (2nd pic) but the wavy line (just right of the hole for the headlight wires) has been beaten back into shape and the area gas welded.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]new panel ready for welding[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

Top work! Did you replace the rear inner wing? If so, where did you buy the panel from?
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

no, i was lucky enough. Ive been watching your youtube vids, youve got a wee bit to do there. I usually plump for ESM for panels, if you order before 2 they usually have it next day. have a look at http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... b61fa8fea5

You might also need the mounting strip
http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... b61fa8fea5

As david said in his post to you, be careful of the lead join when welding around the back. Make sure you mark the bolt holes before you start cutting and trail fit the wing after tacking it in place. Keep us posted.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

This time round we finished repairing the tie plate. Cut out the rot, typically where the body number used to be and made a new piece. With a lick of paint its hard to tell there was a repair!!! Also found some more rot near the rear bump stop (see snaps) cut out and patched. As for the rest of rear inner wing, the small holes welded up ok, but I got a bit aggressive with it and made a few a bit too big, so a small patch was needed here as well. With all that it looked liked that area was done... but oh no. The rear chassis leg will now need a repair!!!! left it for now but will get back to it, just as things were going well.

I had a go at cleaning up the front king pin and trunions. Ive never seen as much wear in a top trunion ever!!! The hole was nearly oval!!! not really surprising when you look back and see the state of the chassis leg and the way the suspension must have twisted. Got the back plate and all off when I got it home. The bottom pin was actually bent!!!!!!! the bottom trunion is naturaly scrap as well, but at least the original king pin can be kept. (see snaps below) Well look on the bright side, summers coming!!! :D

Tie plate cut out
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Repair section in place before paintingImage[/frame][frame]Rot round bump stopImage[/frame][frame]Area repaired
Image[/frame][frame]Bottom scrap trunionImage[/frame][frame]Cleaned ready for paintImage[/frame]

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Front suspension components are now painted and I was able to get NOS top and bottom trunnions to fit as well. David and I cracked on with the the front inner wing which is now nearly finished. We got so far and I just started tacking in the new piece when the gas ran out on the MIG. That really irritates me, just when your getting into it that wee stupid disposable bottle gives up the ghost, so I think i need to up grade to a bigger bottle. :D[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Thats as far was the gas lasted, so just the leading edge to finish.

Did get the rear wire brushed and painted as well as a few small holes filled in at the rear chassis leg.[frame]Image[/frame]

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Final wee bits done today on the passengerside, only the B and c post bottoms to do but that is all the welding that needs to be done before the car and go back on to its wheels again. :D[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Just need a lick of black paint and its down again, ready for the other side

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Great progress today. repainted the front suspension and refitted. The 'NOS top and bottom trunnions were needed. So its now flipped the other way ready to do the driverside bottom. Got the Front suspension off this side. Looks like ill need new trunnnions but should be able to keep the old style kingpin again, as well as the obvious new bushes again... but real progress!!!! :D[frame]Image[/frame] shiney repainted front[frame]Image[/frame] ready to be flipped again.[frame]Image[/frame]If it aint black or red it needs doing. Sills inner and outer as well as the spring hanger and the chassis leg can be repaired as opposed to replaced.[frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by stevey on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Great progress, any word on the new mig?

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Its amazing just how easily all the suspension bolts came apart, I had given them all a good going over with wd 40 and plus gas when I bough it and its really helped. I think one of the plates with the spring hanger attached will be needed for this side, when I see how rusty the spring hanger is Im surprised it took the weight of the car when its been rolled to that side, although the passenger side chassis front chassis leg definately wouldnt have held it!!

Too many Minors so little time.....
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Very impressive, seriously good work! :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
SMM139436
Minor Friendly

Post by SMM139436 »

very nice :D