barrie's project

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
westy24
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

barrie's project

Post by westy24 »

hi all ,i have been lucky enough to have been given a moggy ,which has been in our family for 35 years.it was my grandpa's but sadly he is unable to drive her so he gave to me ,so this is the start of a long project which i will document here for all to see.
im starting with all the bolt on panels first ,so here goes---
first the bonnet-[frame]Image[/frame]
removing sealer from under side then removing all the paint.[frame]Image[/frame]
underside primed[frame]Image[/frame]
underside rubbed down and spray sealed[frame]Image[/frame]
outside being sanded and filled to remove any blemishes[frame]Image[/frame]
bonnet in base coat[frame]Image[/frame]
bonnet fully painted :D :o 8)[frame]Image[/frame]

next up the drivers door,the door was repaired before ,and not to my liking :roll: so iv replaced the bottoms with repair sections .the first pic is of the door upside down with the new inner panel fitted ,sealed primed and painted inside the door to prevent rust as much as i can[frame]Image[/frame]
next is the bottom skin repair section ,i have bonded the outer part on along the jount using 3m panel bond which saves time ,welding and distortion to the door skin,and it also has rust protecting propertys too,i just welded the very edges eather side and the corners on the inside of the door[frame]Image[/frame]
beleive me this 3m bonding is really strong :wink:
westy24
Minor Fan

Re: barrie's project

Post by westy24 »

door filled and etch primed, then primed.[frame]Image[/frame]
mach2
Minor Fan

Post by mach2 »

that paintwork looks absolutely brilliant. What year is the car?

if in doubt give it a clout!
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

its a 2 door 1956 i believe ,its having a slight color change too from black celly to black metallic water base paint!! :o
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Great job! I would never of thought of bonding the repair panel on before, my brother works for Shorts who build aeroplanes and lots of those panels are bonded so it must be a good job.

Too many Minors so little time.....
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

Excellent! :D

westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

it is great stuff ,some say its stronger then welding maybe because its holding more suface area .its used all the time in body shops ,bonding sides of vans on ,bit messy but solid
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by cadetchris »

now i would never of thought about panel bonding.

how is it done? is it easily available?

using it would certainly make my door bottom replacement a darned cite easier than faffing around welding and totally knackering up the door
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

cadetchris wrote:now i would never of thought about panel bonding.

how is it done? is it easily available?

using it would certainly make my door bottom replacement a darned cite easier than faffing around welding and totally knackering up the door
you can get it at any paint body shop suppier .you may need a gun to apply it but it can be mixed like body filler(manually).
to start with make sure the bottom inner frame is good and rust free. offer up the skin repair section to the door and scrib a line along the top .then grind the along the egde of the door to remove the skin,but making sure to cut a good 15mm below the scribed line!!! when the skin is off ,clean all paint off to bare metal and zinc spray the inner frame.as the new section has a joggle at the top of it ,that allows u to slid the new skin under the old but when clamped ,will be flush ,you may need to cut the old skin to make it fit snug,clean the inner edge of the old skin and outer edge of the new one to bare metal(on the joggle).trial fit and when happy drill small holes through them both to take rivets then remove ,panel wipe edges ,put a bead of sealer around the door frame where the skin needs wrapping then mix the 3m pnel bond an spread evenly on both edges .fit the panel ,rivel and wrapp the skin then wait 12 hours :D then sand eccess bond off drill out rivets and tack weld the holes and a few other places .it is real good i have a pic of finished coming shortly 8) 8) hope this helps[frame]Image[/frame]

and i havnt even polished it yet!!![frame]Image[/frame]
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

looks excellent! :D

the little boy in the pic looks scared to touch it!

stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Your painting looks top drawer - what process are you using and what brands of etch, filler primer, top coats ( and how many?)
Thanks
]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

stag36587 wrote:Your painting looks top drawer - what process are you using and what brands of etch, filler primer, top coats ( and how many?)
Thanks
a light etch coat over the hole panel,the door was finished in 320 grit paper before etch.the red scotch the lot when dry,high build prime the door 5 coats in total.when a dust coatt of black aerosol(to show low spots when sanding down, then i blocked down with 600 wet n dry ,then 800 we n dry,i didnt use water ,i used panelwipe for sanding.
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

hi all .its been a long time since iv posted any info and pictures on this section. iv done a few bits to the car.sadly my grandpa past away a few weeks back after suffering with cancer.so this project is dedicated to him .
the first pic is of the front grill which i had sand blasted and powder coated .the finish wasnt that good so i asked a friend to paint it for me this is the result ..
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

this is the grill panel surround which i repaired , it was a little rusty at the bottom edge ,so i cut out the rust , i used good cardboard to use as a template to make the pieces out of steel ,ready to weld in .first pic is the panel in primer.[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

the next pic is the panel flatted down with 800 wet and dry .i masked off the top section as i wanted to protect the bottom section from stone chips . i cant remember the name off the stone chip product , but i will find out if anyone is interested !! .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

next one is of the front with stone chip.hung up ready for painting .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

and the next one is the panel painted .[frame]Image[/frame]