barrie's project

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
westy24
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: barrie's project

Post by westy24 »

i then cut the spots of bad rust out ,making sure i cut enough away . then cleaned the inner frame then primed with weld through primer .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

i used tin snips to cut some steel , the same thickness as the boot skin and to the size of each hole made in the boot .making sure each patch has a small gap around the edge (less the a mm) this will help when welding ,as after tacking the patch in place and you go on to finish welding the patch in ,it will allow the surrounding metal to move , and not distort as much.i used a strong magnet to hold each patch in place to tack .this saves on burnt fingers ( gloves should be worn ) ..[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

some welds ground down .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

top edge of boot complete and etch primed.[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

now the worst bit , the bottom of the boot is quit bad , the pic shows a panel i made .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

the panel i made was a flat sheet of steel ,folded at a 90 degrees . the pic below shows how i made the curve in the panel to fit the shape of the boot . i used a block of wood to rest the panel on then used a panel hammer to form the shape , continuously checking the fittment on the boot lid .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

i used a tool to make a swage on the top edge of the panel , this is to slide behind the boot lid panel ,it makes it easier to weld with less distortion. i then clamped the panel on the boot and marked the boot for the old panel to be removed .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

this is the weld through primer i use .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

this is the panel in place clamped at the bottom and screwed at the top ready to weld . i tacked the 4 corners first ,waited for it to cool down then tacked between the screws . after this cooled i buzzed down each side ,took the screws out and tacked directly under each hole .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

il finish the welding this week hopefully ,after the outer part is welded il tackle the inner frame ,then il skim it with a lot less filler !! prime and paint it .
peetee59
Minor Fan

Post by peetee59 »

You are doing an excellent job barrie :wink: ,thats nice to see,,,keep it up,look forward to more pics.
Pete
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

peetee59 wrote:You are doing an excellent job barrie :wink: ,thats nice to see,,,keep it up,look forward to more pics.
Pete

thanks pete ,its taking a long time to do (hour here hour there !!!). im lucky really ,as i work in a body shop . im also trying my hardest to explain in picture and words how im doing each piece of work. i know everyone has there own way of doing body work .whether its amateur, professional ,or super professional . im hoping that il help some people out there . dont worry there will be more pics on the way , iv finished the outside of the boot lid ,iv just got to cut the rust out of the inner frame and weld in .
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

hi everyone iv been really busy at work so the morris bootlid has taken the side line for the time being , luckely tho i finished the rust removal on the boot lid and finished it completety .and primed it a month ago , on the sad side ,i didnt take any photos of the repairs as i kept on forgetting the camera. but on the last day of my work this year , the painter painted the boot lid ,happy days .id all so like to say merry christmas and a happy new year to you all .the first pic is the outside of the boot .well there all self explanatory really !!.[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

the inside of the boot lid was stone chiped using the same sealer as what i used on the bonnet .what do you guys think ?