Guilty Pick up owner!

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Keith 66
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Guilty Pick up owner!

Post by Keith 66 »

Hi All, i have been a MMOC member for quite some years now and back in 89 acquired a 1969 pick up. It had had a hard life had been written of twice & was extremely rusty, the restoration involved a huge amount of work. SAP 281G got a new chassis new floorpan etc etc. To be honest it would be easier to list what wasnt replaced! It was on the road for 16 years but Due to a blown engine & pressure of work it has been laid up going on 6 years now.
Im now at the stage that im feeling guilty and thinking about its third? restoration, a few things always let it down cheifly the door shuts which were awful, mainly due to the rear door pillars being badly buckled & bent with much filler.
This is the main thing i have to sort, i have two brand new doors to go on but need a pair of complete rear door pillars. Anyone know if there is a source of these or know of a pair in reasonable condition (ie straight & unbent) that can be got from a donor vehicle?
rayofleamington

Re: Guilty Pick up owner!

Post by rayofleamington »

don't feel guilty! I've had some ongoing projects that were off the road for multiple decades! :oops:

If you need donor B-posts, try for some from a 4 door saloon (same part) - you are sure to find better ones, although finding ones with good bottoms on a scrap car will take a bit of time. It would be a shame to chop up an otherwise usable LCV cab just to take the B-posts.
You might also try the LCv register to see if they know of a damaged cab (e.g. front end shunt) that has usable B posts.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Splitscreen48

Post by Splitscreen48 »

My 4 door saloon (not too far numerically from yours (SAP 605G)) has been undergoing restoration since 1992!

Mustn't rush these things....
JPX877J
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JPX877J »

We are restoring a red pickup into what it should be, a blue van, and we have used a 4 door B post :)
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by alexandermclaren »

keep up the good work m8
your doing fine