1954 2dr Saloon

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

1954 2dr Saloon

Post by Wyliecoyote »

Hello everyone! I'm restoring my first Moggy, a 1954 2dr Saloon that's been sat in out garage for 20 years.

I've done some welding since stripping the shell and am hoping to keep a video blog of the all the work. It can be found on YouTube under '1954 Morris Minor Restoration'

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4_SK02OGW0HfBsjwaQksLw
brucek
Minor Addict

Re: 1954 2dr Saloon

Post by brucek »

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your restoration. Great videos - do keep them coming :wink: If you get stuck - that's what we're here for!! Might help to add your location on your signature details so that, if you need help, someone local can pop by, scratch their chin, suck in air through their teeth and then tell you they wouldn't have done it like that :lol: seriously though, it often helps when you get a second view of a snag or problem.

Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

Thanks! I'm in Northern Ireland. Currently working on the gutters, a very fiddly job it seems!
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Quite a few guys in NI and all very good chaps - I'm sure one or two will be along shortly to say hello too. I have a '59 convertible so gutters are (thankfully) not for me. :wink:

Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

You're fortunate! There's a lot of rusty thready metal where the roof panel should meet the gutter so I may have to resort to a series of short seam welds rather than the original spots. Burnt my hand last week while welding so currently taking a break from labours!
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Yup :cry: be careful there! memories of saloons and Travellers of years ago so I know how fiddly that area can be. Have some good friends in Hillsborough and Ballinderry who I visit quite regularly - great people and a great area to be in.

alexandermclaren
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by alexandermclaren »

welcome to the forum

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Hi there and welcome from another PZ owner!!! Ive been watching your clips with interest, keep us posted on your progress. :D

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Hi and welcome. We've just done the gutters on my Traveller. It had rotted where a previous owner had kept a roof rack on for too long without removing it (not only along the gutters but under where the feet had been stuck to the roof. Difficult job as the gutter had to be removed and then a piece cut out of the roof itself. It takes time but you get there in the end.

Good luck with yours. Nice to see another being saved. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Hi James, keep up the good work!

Too many Minors so little time.....
Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

Thanks everyone! Hope to finish the nearside gutter this weekend and also get the same A-pillar bottom tidied up and the closing panel attached. After that it will be the bottom of the rear panel then gutter of the offside. Plenty of welding!
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Hi, great videos

Our branch monthly meeting will be held next Thursday evening at 8pm at Belfast bowling club (BT9 5JT), you would be welcome to come along for a chat and meet the minor nutters.

P.s where abouts in the north are you?

Andrew

Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

Hi Andrew, I'm in Comber. I saw the mmocNI part of the site and the meetings. I'm on placement during the week with Queen's but I'll get along as soon as I can!
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Your not to far away then, yes come along when you can. Also our Easter Monday run will be the first run to be held, which is starting of from hillmount garden centre, gilnahirk, Belfast. As long as you bring good weather with you.

Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

Yes I'll have to get along!

This is the gutter so far. Does anyone know if the channel can be sealed with seam sealer before paint so as to make it weather proof and hopefully stop the rot from reoccuring?[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

Took the rear near side outer wing off and got a nasty surprise - this video shows the mess that's been left by a previous owner's bodgery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfyv2b96bkU
Richardsix
Minor Friendly

Post by Richardsix »

Oh my god..thought mine was bad....I have a small hole on the spring hanger.
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

That is actually quite typical of what lies beneath the patches on very may Minors! I am just about to do the same repairs to mine, both sides and will post the pictures over the next few days.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
That rear inner wing is a real mess, however you've made good progress with the rest of the areas you've tackled (checked out your videos 1 to 4), so I reckon you'll make a solid job of it.............. it may just take you a little while...................
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

Thanks! Yes, I'm just going to take my time and do it properly, no sense in cutting corners. I see that Bull Motif have a complete inner wing for sale which would be handy to do the whole panel in one bit rather than patches.

Should I be doing the rear spring hanger first for landmarks????