At last - a new engine!!

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
brucek
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

At last - a new engine!!

Post by brucek »

Well - for the first time in almost 20 years - my '59 convertible now has a new engine sitting in its engine bay :D It's a 1275 MG Midget unit which has been sat in my garage for about 25 years since I swapped an early Muddy Fox mountain bike for a very rusty Midget owned by one of my college lecturers. It is painted in MGC/Austin Healey Green which the early Midget/Sprite blocks were finished in. I found this out when I discovered the light metallic green overspray in the crankcase itself.

This is the first engine I have ever fully rebuilt from scratch so it has been bored out by +20, has new pistons, rings, mains and big end bearing shells, a Piper 255 cam, new tappets and new oil pump. The head has new valve guides and new valves. I am fitting a HIF 44 carb and a maniflow exhaust and hope that once fettled and tuned it will give me years of trouble free service :o

At the very least, I need it to get me to this years MOT in Normandy and then across France for the extended MOT in the Swiss Alps and British Car Show in Nantua and then home again just in time for the centenary celebrations at Cornbury Park!!

Looking forward to a busy summer driving - hope it's a good one for once :wink:[frame]Image[/frame]

lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Re: At last - a new engine!!

Post by lambrettalad »

Very nice ,and good luck on the journey :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

Very nice indeed.

I look forward to seeing it in the metal on MOT.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

I'm keeping everything crossed :lol:

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Good progress, keep at it :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Very nice what head are you using ? 940
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Thanks :D - yes I'm using the standard head 940 head that was on the original engine for now but will be looking for the 'big valve' 940 MG Metro head later this year - once the big trips are over and I have some money again - I'll keep the original as a spare once I have the replacement in place. :wink:

win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

Hi
Is a piper cam the must have, I only have the standard in my 1275cc Midget engine.
Also check the fan blades will clear the engine breather canister on the timing cover, I had to reduce mine.

Good looking job.

Regards Win
South Yorkshire
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Hi Win - No the Piper cam is not essential but my original was showing signs of wear on the lobes and I had the Piper cam given to me a few years before so I thought I'd use it. I think the MG Metro cam is very similar to the Piper cam and probably cheaper to get hold of too. It just adds a little to the performance. I'm not an expert at performance tuning but wanted something that would motorway - or should that be autoroute - happily at 65-70mph all day. I'll also be using an electric fan so will do away with the original fan blade completely. Again, I have a modified timing case cover where the breather has been slimmed to miss the fanblade but with the electric fan, I'll just need the top pulley. :wink:

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

So - my target date for completion of the rebuild is Sunday April 21st 2013 - where I hope to get along to the Lincs Branch Drive It Day event at the VSCC Wolds classic race meeting at Cadwell Park where we - along with visitors from North Lincs and Brid & Wolds have a display area. I'll be there anyway cos I'm organising it - but in which car though - the convertible or the Audi? watch this space.....

If we are very well behaved and very lucky we may possibly be able to do some parade laps around the circuit during the lunch break. If you fancy joining us - it's £10 per head in advance or £13 at the gate on the day. - Here is the link to their webpage http://www.cadwellpark.co.uk/calendar/2 ... rophy.aspx

PLEASE let the weather warm up a bit between now and then - I look like the Michelin man out in the garage and can't fit under the car!!
Last edited by brucek on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

Is the 1275cc unit a direct swap or do there need to be modifications made? Looking good though!
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Hi Wyliecoyote :-)

The 1275 Midget engine drops straight into the engine bay with no modifications and since I'm using the Midget gearbox too it just fits straight in. You do have to get rid of the Midget gearbox cross member and remove a mounting bracket which the Minor gearbox cross member does not have but thats all. The only other mod, as you can see from the photo, is the need to either (i) alter the profile of the crank case breather assembly on the front of the timing cover so it misses the fanblade or (ii) fit an electric fan instead [as I am doing] and just use the existing fan pulley as a top pulley only. :wink:

Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

Excellent! I've a 1098cc in mine that will probably be going back in once the shell is finished though the idea of a 1275 is very tempting. I suppose it all depends on how sound the 1098 turns out to be!
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

My old Traveller (FYY 809J in case anyone knows where it is now - http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... hilit=+fyy) had a great later 1098 engine with the breather in the tappet cover. The 1275 Midget is getting very expensive to buy these days if you can find one and the Marina/Ital unit is not far behind. If the 1098 is a good one then it will be worth putting it back in. There are still lots of performance mods that you can do with the 1098 if you are looking for a bit more umph! Worth getting a copy of Tuning BL's A series engine by Dave Vizard if you want to have a look at the options. :wink:

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Progress Report: Well, lots of freezing days in the garage and on the drive has seen the wings, bonnet, boot and exhaust fitted - thanks Mike :-) . Other bits and bobs include the semaphore indicators fitted (show only - thanks Steve), hood frame (new hood due this week), headlamp bowls and sidelights. Just waiting for the fixers for the grille surround and then the front panel and radiator can go in too. New 4.5J wheels still to be fitted, laminated screen and the door shuts etc. to fettle but nice to be getting to the close out jobs now.

The car will be away from the broom cupboard (as you can see in the photo) - aka the garage - for a couple of weeks from tomorrow having some remedial paint repairs done owing to something from the shelf in the back right hand side falling off and gouging three lumps out of the paintwork!! All being well, the target date of 21st April is still just about do-able but it will be tight! Hope to post some finshed shots very soon. Not quite sure what I'll do then - what is this thing that folks talk about called relaxing??? :D[frame]Image[/frame]

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Very nice indeed. Like the colour choice also.
I too have a Midget 1275cc in mine, great little engines and as you say, drops straight in without any major mods.
I was looking for a 1275 for ages then two came along, the other's out of a 1978 Marina which was due to be banger raced but didn't last the first lap due to gearbox failure..............
I'm saving that one for another Minor at some point................
Glad I got it when I did as, as you say, they are getting scarcer and more expensive.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Thanks Mike - yes i had two some years ago as well but sold the spare one - maybe I should have kept hold of it :-)

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I'm glad to say my Midget engine doesn't have the breather on the timing case cover though, I've heard they can be more trouble than they're worth.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The 1275 struggles for crankcase breathing - so a pot on the timing case cover really IS a good idea, AND one on the rocker cover.....
ImageImage
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Thought it was about time for an update..... well, 21st April came and went and still no car on the road - in fairness (or perhaps that should be in stupidity) the main reason was of my own doing! I wanted to move the car about 40 miles away so that my engine and electrical work could be checked over by a qualified motor engineer and someone who has space to paint as there were a few bits of damage to the respray as a result of working in a very narrow garage. Oh and not forgetting the fact that I am just plain clumsy too.

All went well, with the car on the trailer (thanks Mike), and off we set. Looking in the rear view mirror, I could see the lower half of the engine and the front edge of the bonnet. After about a mile, I looked again and could see the whole of the engine and NO bonnet!!! Yep despite reminding myself several times before I went to bed the previous evening AND when I got up that morning, I forgot to tie the bonnet down and the wind from the forward motion AND the very windy day wrapped the bonnet over the windscreen aperture - b&&gger! The bonnet was toast and fortunately, because I had not finally tightened the bonnet hinges down, they didn't break! there was some denting to the bulkhead but nothing too serious.

Anyway, new bonnet was sourced (thanks Roger) and after much work (thanks Will, Caroline and colleagues) with me hindering operations where I could, the car should be taxed and roadworthy on Tuesday. It's going to be a mad couple of weeks to get some miles on the clock and trim it out before the jaunt to France and Switzerland but at least the old girl will be back after 18 years off the road - can't wait :-)

Celebratory photo's will be posted shortly :-)