Paaro - Morris Minor 1000 1957 4 door restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rogerowen
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Paaro - Morris Minor 1000 1957 4 door restoration

Post by rogerowen »

nam wrote:Well.....

I carried in and managed to finally get the engine going. Here's the thread of fun!

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=52636

So I am going for it. Looking for a welding kit and learn as I go.
Good news! Wish you well. My projects now gone belly up! :oops: :oops: :oops:
That's strange R2, the damage doesn't look so bad from here!
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Oh no what's happened to yours?
1957 Morris Minor 1000. 4 door saloon restoration back on!
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

nam wrote:Oh no what's happened to yours?
First chance I had to really look underneath today. Serious rust on front and back chassis rails, front and centre cross members, front and rear inner wings, O/s sill completely wasted, holes in boot, floor. serious rot under the engine mounts, etc, etc. It's all do-able, but I just don't have the time. Shame because the car's engine and running gear and interior are really good. I was hoping it would be a rolling restoration - but it's going to be a complete strip down to be able to get to the bits that need attention. Very upset - but I know I just will not be able to cope! :( :( :(
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

This seems like dejavu of my thinking last week! You gave me some good encouragement so here's some back! Sit back and think how you could get it done. Maybe with some help. Have you tried remocig rust from the areas to see how bad it us etc. Don't give in!
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

nam wrote:This seems like dejavu of my thinking last week! You gave me some good encouragement so here's some back! Sit back and think how you could get it done. Maybe with some help. Have you tried remocig rust from the areas to see how bad it us etc. Don't give in!
Yes, I spent the day scraping off copius amounts of underseal (some original - some more recent). There is serious rust in places that would require a lot of dissasembly - what I'm looking at is a total strip down restoration. Totally doable, but will take me more time than I have. I'll whizz up some photos when I get a mo. :roll:
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Well stripping a car is a slow process when your limited to some evening and some weekends. Anyway i've started by removing the boot lid and boot floor. Trying to get the wings off next but the bolts are proving difficult, rust penetrating spray has been sprayed. Will probably have to take the wheels off get it up on axles stands and get proper access.

Also next on my list is get access to the brake master cylinder to try and figure out why my brake pedal is seized.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Rear spring hangers[frame]Image[/frame]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

You definitely need the wheels off, before putting penetrating oil on it's best to wire brush the muck off or the oil will be absorbed before getting to the right place.
Also you don't want dirt stopping you getting the spanner or socket fully on the bolt, they will be tight!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

MarkyB wrote:You definitely need the wheels off, before putting penetrating oil on it's best to wire brush the muck off or the oil will be absorbed before getting to the right place.
Also you don't want dirt stopping you getting the spanner or socket fully on the bolt, they will be tight!
I've decided i'm just going to cut the old bolts out either with an angle grinder or handsaw. It's probably much easier to just replace them with new one's. I'm going to take this strategy with all rusty bolts/nuts/screws. :D
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

I agree, new nuts and bolts will be well worth while and not expensive. It will also make your life a whole lot easier when putting her back together.
Don't forget - plenty of copper grease on the new ones. :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I'm afraid that attacking everything with an angle grinder is going to result in a lot of collateral damage.
You might get a wing off OK but then you have a lot of drilling and tapping to do before you can fit a new one.
Have you done one this way jagnut66?

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Agreed angle grinder is a harsh way to go and yes very easy to do damage, more than needed. I sucessfully managed to drill out some screws that were stuck on the brake master cylinder cover. So may try that method by carefully drilling the end of the bolt and nut bit till they snap off.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I used one of the very thin cutting discs, didn't take long at all to cut the bolts off, most of the metal around them was rusty on mine anyway.

kevin
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Well first time this year I have managed to get back on this. Managed to remove the petrol tank fairly easily. But the wings are another matter. Removed half the bolts on the rear wings but the one's near the bottom back I haven't managed to even get a spanner or ratchet onto. The one's near the rear door arch are just turning free so think I will get the ones off I can then grind the bolt head off the others. Someone has previously done some work on it because the wires for the lights have been cut and stuck together again with tape.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

I'm afraid that attacking everything with an angle grinder is going to result in a lot of collateral damage.
You might get a wing off OK but then you have a lot of drilling and tapping to do before you can fit a new one.
Have you done one this way jagnut66?
No, I was lucky in that I managed to persuade anything I needed to remove to come off without the need to chop it off (apart from the small nuts / bolts that hold the kick step finisher in place, they would not budge, I ended up using a small nut splitter on these).
When putting her back together I used plenty of copper grease on the nuts and bolts, I swear by the stuff!! :P

Some things did require an overnight soak in 'Plusgas' though, as I recall......
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Looking at the amount of corrosion in the pictures I suspect a new wing flange will be needed anyway in which case cutting them off is not a great problem, the back 2 which also hold the bumper mount on are nuts and bolts, once the head is ground off then simply knock out inside the boot.
For the wings bolts a, if the won't turn or simply spin a grinder is about your only option, there is no acess for drills etc
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

kevin s wrote:Looking at the amount of corrosion in the pictures I suspect a new wing flange will be needed anyway in which case cutting them off is not a great problem, the back 2 which also hold the bumper mount on are nuts and bolts, once the head is ground off then simply knock out inside the boot.
For the wings bolts a, if the won't turn or simply spin a grinder is about your only option, there is no acess for drills etc
These are the things on my order:

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 37751b287e

For both left and right side. I think first I will need to cut off the bad corrosion and weld a new piece of metal in and then align up the spring hanger at the back.

I'm just scared of taking the angle grinder to the back bolts as they are so restricted that I might cut through more than I need!

Wish there was something like a bolt head cutter...
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

nam wrote:
kevin s wrote:Looking at the amount of corrosion in the pictures I suspect a new wing flange will be needed anyway in which case cutting them off is not a great problem, the back 2 which also hold the bumper mount on are nuts and bolts, once the head is ground off then simply knock out inside the boot.
These are the things on my order:

For both left and right side. I think first I will need to cut off the bad corrosion and weld a new piece of metal in and then align up the spring hanger at the back.

I'm just scared of taking the angle grinder to the back bolts as they are so restricted that I might cut through more than I need!

Wish there was something like a bolt head cutter...
Have you tried Irwin bolt grip sockets?
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

interesting product, i'll try on the weekend first then consider those.
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

nam wrote:
interesting product, i'll try on the weekend first then consider those.
I used them recently on a Land Rover bolt that nothing else could shift it as totally rounded off and not access for an angle grinder. Soak with Plus Gas, and use a breaker bar (I actually use a long torque wrench), and hey presto! Very efficient and well made American tool. Not cheap, but well worth the investment. Got mine from Homebase, Screwfix stock them too.

Good Luck :D
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Angle grinder did some work on the weekend. Few more bolts off and wings hanging off the car.

On closer inspection of the centre cross member I think i'm going with getting the whole thing replaced as both sides could do with getting done and there seems to be rust down the middle. This particular job seems quite complicated so going to hunt for help from a garage or someone with experience to replace it.[frame]Image[/frame]