Paaro - Morris Minor 1000 1957 4 door restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rogerowen
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Paaro - Morris Minor 1000 1957 4 door restoration

Post by rogerowen »

I think a Moggie in BRG would look fantastic - my favourite colour!
That's strange R2, the damage doesn't look so bad from here!
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Looks to me like Dark Green and it was usually fitted with the gray seats and black carpet. A friend has a 1959 one and it also has light green wheels fitted.

Too many Minors so little time.....
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

I think it is probably dark green, it had gray seats and gray carpet fitted.

All electrics in the car are working now! But still no engine starting, i've put a new battery and new ht leads. Fuel pump is getting power but not ticking. Might follow some guides somewhere to take it apart and clean the points.

Oh and I found reference to Britich Racing Green on the internet so it could be an option!

http://www.morrisminor.org.uk/index.php ... hemes.html
1957 Morris Minor 1000. 4 door saloon restoration back on!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Oh and I found reference to Britich Racing Green on the internet so it could be an option!
Along with 'Go Faster' stripes and furry dice!! :lol:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

No thank you with the dice and fur!

Ok, got the fuel pump working by taking it apart but still no engine start. So I am just going to replace all the points, coil etc. So can someone tell me if this is the right one for my car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-25D-rep ... 1e7e900052
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I'm not sure, it looks right but the list of cars this fits doesn't mention Morris.
Anyway at that price you might as well go for one of the kits in the links I've attached below, which are for your car and include everything, including air filter and spark plugs, though not the coil, which in the other link.
I've listed both kits, as I don't know what type of oil filter set up you have, original or spin on.
Price wise, one of the kits plus the coil should be comparable to the one on ebay.
Best wishes,
Mike.

http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=2311

http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=4545

http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=4766
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Boris64
Minor Fan

Post by Boris64 »

Tip for starting learnt on an old and very oily twin cam Fiat:

When the domestic staff are not looking, put the spark plugs under the grill until they are nice and hot. You may need to run the extractor fan to disguise the 'cooking' smells :wink:

Refit plugs but watch out if your plug spanner has a rubber retainer. You may need to run the extractor fan to disguise the 'cooking' smells :oops:

Reconnect the leads and switch on.

Works every year on my lawn mower and on many bangers over the years.

Good luck with the serious stuff.

Pete
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

ok, my fault i have not mentioned what has already been changed. I have put in new spark plugs, new ht leads, cleaned the radiator fluid. Cleaned the points but no luck. Fuel pump working after points cleaned and whacked all round with a hammer. Air filter checked and looks clean/new.

I have bought a new oil filter but not fitted it yet as the oil looks clean so might do that soon, but don't think that is the problem.

So what's left is really the points, condensor and ignition coil as I think it's not getting a spark although all leads are showing 12 volt current where needed.

It looks like 1098cc parts are the same for the 948cc engine I have so might take a risk with the ebay kit.
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

nam wrote:ok, my fault i have not mentioned what has already been changed. I have put in new spark plugs, new ht leads, cleaned the radiator fluid. Cleaned the points but no luck. Fuel pump working after points cleaned and whacked all round with a hammer. Air filter checked and looks clean/new.

I have bought a new oil filter but not fitted it yet as the oil looks clean so might do that soon, but don't think that is the problem.

So what's left is really the points, condensor and ignition coil as I think it's not getting a spark although all leads are showing 12 volt current where needed.

It looks like 1098cc parts are the same for the 948cc engine I have so might take a risk with the ebay kit.
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

12 volts??? HT is much more than 12 volts (more like 5k - that's what the coil does). I reckon you've probably got a simple short in the points - well that's where I would look first.

Cheers,

Roger
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Think it's the points/condenser too, so ordered just these for now.
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

After a lot of lifes set backs i'm now getting back to the car, i found this thread and am following it for the floor panels

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 2&start=15

I'm going to order all 4 hardian quarter panels from ESM and the left and right outer sills and sill finishers. Although I have never done any welding i'm hoping to get all the panels lined up and ready for someone to come and do the welds for me.

I've also picked up four new old doors that are in decent condition so they will be changed over. I'm thinking i will do that after the welding. Pictures probably over the weekend[frame]Image[/frame]
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Afraid i'm sad to announce that she is no more. Due to the amount of welding needed I am having to stop. So she will either be sold or broken for spares, on to hunt another. :cry: :cry: :cry:
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

nam wrote:Afraid i'm sad to announce that she is no more. Due to the amount of welding needed I am having to stop. So she will either be sold or broken for spares, on to hunt another. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sad to hear that, you'll be sure to find a more suitable one. 8)
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

Yep chin up there are still plenty around, and even more waiting to be restored. Don't break it, ebay it or see if anyone else ants to restore it. :D

nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Thanks guys. I'm thinking eBay or keep as a donor car if needed. It's taught me a lot and I'm going to keep trying to get the engine going before I sell it. I've found out its had a 1098 engine and gearbox fitted and managed to get it to sort if start by seeing some white smoke out the back for a few seconds.
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

Is it really that bad??? When I was 18 (back in the days when life was in Black & White), I bought a 1954 Triumph TR2 for £75. It served me well, but one day I decided to attempt to restore it - took it to bits - and realised that it had some rust here and there. After flaffing around for a bit with fibre-glass kits that just would not magically stick rusty metal together again (days before DIY welding kit was available) - I decided to 'call it a day' and off it went for scrap. I still have nightmares about this decision. :( :( :(
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

If I had a welding kit and knew how to weld it would be a different story. I think its too much as a first project. And will cost too much in labour. But I agree its a hard decision but I'm not one to look back.
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

Your call of course. Classic cars do come with issues (fact) - if you can afford for someone to take care of these for you - that's great, if not - then you have to learn how to cope with these set-backs yourself (or even better, with a core of mates willing to 'lend a hand'). Over the years, I have myself had to give up on several restoration projects due to the cost of professional assistance - so I can well understand and appreciate your frustration. Good luck with an easier next project.
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Well.....

I carried in and managed to finally get the engine going. Here's the thread of fun!

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=52636

So I am going for it. Looking for a welding kit and learn as I go.