Paaro - Morris Minor 1000 1957 4 door restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nam
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Paaro - Morris Minor 1000 1957 4 door restoration

Post by nam »

Hi, this is my first restoration project ever and I decided to start with a Morris Minor becuase I just love the design and possibilities of restoration.

It is a 1957 Morris Minor 1000, Green and been stood in a yard/fields since 1995 so hasn't been started since then. When I got the car it had both front wheels gone and is a non starter at the moment. Although I have got a battery hooked up and the lights all work I can't hear the fuel pump click and although the engine turns over trying to start I have not been able to get it going...

I have stripped out all the interior do expose the welding it needs... will need some experts to give me advice on parts I might need apart from the floor pans and the outer sills...

It is complete as far as parts and fittings go, although the brake shoes are all in a box! It was a mess but I hope to bring it back to life!

She's called Paaro![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Re: Paaro - Morris Minor 1000 1957 4 door restoration

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

Looks a good project. Give it some fresh fuel and clean the points, that should get it going! :D :D

rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

Hi, Your project looks similar to mine;
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 49&start=0

I'm following this thread where there are some really helpful pictures;

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 82&start=0

Good luck :D :D
That's strange R2, the damage doesn't look so bad from here!
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Thanks DaisyMayFozz, but so far she is being stubborn. Points look clean/new but she doesn't want to start. Tank was empty so I filled fresh fuel in too.....

Roger that is very similar for sure. Helpful for sure
1957 Morris Minor 1000. 4 door saloon restoration back on!
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

nam wrote:Thanks DaisyMayFozz, but so far she is being stubborn. Points look clean/new but she doesn't want to start. Tank was empty so I filled fresh fuel in too.....

Roger that is very similar for sure. Helpful for sure
I'm not sure what your mechanical level is at - so sorry if this is 'Telling Granny how to ...........' (expression I've never really understood), anyway;

Best way I've found to get a car going that's been sitting for a while is undo the 3 screws holding the top on the carburetter float chamber, lift it off and see if the float needle is operational (if not a squirt of +gas ot WD40 should free it up). If the float chamber is empty - fill to 3/4 with fresh petrol and replace float chamber lid. Before starting - pop out the spark plugs and clean, good sqirt of engine oil down each bore and then crank a bit by handle. Then when you are happy that some oil has been distributed to the bores, crank on starter motor for a bit. Leaving the plugs out - make sure one is in contact with earth (don't hold it - unless you like electric shocks), turn ignition on and crank the engine again looking for a spark at the plug. If there is a spark - then plugs back in and go for it! If still no joy - Air filter off and a squirt of 'Start You B*******' (Easy Strat) straight into the carb intake. It will almost definitely run on that at least for a second or two. If it stops there must be a carb problem and the carb will need to be cleaned and checked.

Snoopy started on the button after a 7 year rest, but I'll need to replace some fuel lines before putting petrol in the tank.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Roger
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

So far I have filled fuel and found the fuel pump is not working... so I have filled the float with oil as you said because it was empty. My next step is take out the sparks and check them/give them a clean with sandpaper if needed. One of the HT leads sits a bit loose on the first spark plug so that could be a problem...

Don't have a starting handle for it.

My experience is mostly tinkering and self servicing our cars with my dad. I know the basics! Trying to get myself ready for blowing clean some fuel lines and probably sucking some petrol some way along the line..... :lol:

Also seen that since I have started trying to start her she has started leaking a bit of engine oil at the back of the engine block.
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

nam wrote:So far I have filled fuel and found the fuel pump is not working... so I have filled the float with oil as you said because it was empty. My next step is take out the sparks and check them/give them a clean with sandpaper if needed. One of the HT leads sits a bit loose on the first spark plug so that could be a problem...

Don't have a starting handle for it.

My experience is mostly tinkering and self servicing our cars with my dad. I know the basics! Trying to get myself ready for blowing clean some fuel lines and probably sucking some petrol some way along the line..... :lol:

Also seen that since I have started trying to start her she has started leaking a bit of engine oil at the back of the engine block.
Hope that was a miss type - petrol in the float chamber, no oil!
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

yep, my bad which i alway's get told about.... i sometimes call petrol, oil. I did put in "petrol" :)
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

No worries - it's the sign of a creative mind! :D :D

Oil leak? Can you show a picture some time?
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

I will put some more pictures up soon, engine still leaking... I have found a total botch job of wiring in the dashboard and hope to get power to the igntion tonight and maybe even get close to it starting!
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

nam wrote:I will put some more pictures up soon, engine still leaking... I have found a total botch job of wiring in the dashboard and hope to get power to the igntion tonight and maybe even get close to it starting!
Hot wire it! Just to get it running - and sort out the dashboard wiring at a later stage. :lol:
Project Snoopy gets started tomorrow when the MG midget currently in the workshop gets collected. :lol: :lol:
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Hot wiring it had crossed my mind... but I didn't :wink: I am confident I have found the wiring problem, i'm talking twisted together pieces of wires by hand job! Good luck with yours.
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

nam wrote:Hot wiring it had crossed my mind... but I didn't :wink: I am confident I have found the wiring problem, i'm talking twisted together pieces of wires by hand job! Good luck with yours.
Tenner says you'll finish yours first!
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

We shall wait and see. I do want to get it on the road soon though. I'm impatient... here's a few more pics before i stripped it.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

Looks like a good basis to start with. Smiths round heater too!
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Here's a couple being broken for spares for you if they are of any use......
One says collection only but I have persuaded sellers who state this to post things before now, so it may be still worth enquiring....
Best wishes,
Mike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR- ... 2a2cb9581e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR- ... 43be209f34
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Are you sure this is green, I've looked at all your photo's and it looks more Trafalgar blue to me..... ????
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Thanks, I will keep ebay in mnd for parts. I've also joined the members club.

Yes it is Green, log book says green and it's a green, badly faded in many area's... I don't know what type of green, it reminds me of British Racing Green but i'm no paint expert. Either way it will be re-painted but haven't decided what colour yet.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I've had a trawl and came up with three possibilities, if it's the original colour:
'Empire Green' though that may have been discontinued by 1957, it's listed from July 1952 to April 1956, so might depend on the actual build date of your car.
'Sage Green', listed from May 1956 (can't find when it was discontinued), though yours looks too dark for that colour to be right....
Finally I found a colour listed only (and rather ambiguously) as 'Dark Green', which appears to have been listed from September 1956 to February 1959....

I don't think they ever listed 'British Racing Green' for Moggies :lol:
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

It's not Sage Green for sure. I think the closet match is Empire Green but could also be Dark Green. It is so faded now though.