Very Original Almond Green Traveller 1961 .Underside Finish.

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Morris Mike
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Very Original Almond Green Traveller 1961 .Underside Finish.

Post by Morris Mike »

I purchased this vehicle earlier this year.
On another posting I wrote how I brought her back to life after being stored in a garage on wooden blocks for over 35 years in total.
She had lived in the same street for 42 years,having had two owners who lived next door to each other..

Purchased new in Portsmouth she had lived there all her life.

After her MOT I used her in the condition you see in the first few photo`s,but really I wanted the car to look a lot better as she has never been welded,all the panels are original and rust free,and the underside is how it left the factory.

She deserved better.!!!

The red oxide was put on her paintwork about 20 years ago. It made the car look worse than she really was.
Once removed there were only small stone chips,small rust spots,or the odd dent.

I took her back to bare metal,before any work was carried out.

Nearly all the Morris Minors I have seen or worked on have had some sort of welding carried out over the years,replacement panels (new or secondhand) or repairs under repaired in paintwork.There cannot be that many factory fresh examples out there in total rust free un-worked on condition.

All of the other fitments and fixtures are in very good original condition.
The bonnet line and door shuts are perfect,including the timber rear doors..

As she is from 1961 and the Duo Tone model, it is refreshing to work on something different after the usual later 1960`s models.

Apart from a very smart respray in her original Almond Green, we only plan to replace the chrome work as this seems to have seen better day`s,especially when put against fresh paint work.
A new carpet set in the front area will be fitted,but nothing else will be replaced as it just needs a good clean.

At 44,000 genuine miles the mechanicals are in perfect condition,she has a very good feel and drives better than many other Morris cars I have driven even those that have had full restorations.

I will post photo`s of her progress.

M M

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by Morris Mike on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Modified.
Austin 6cwt Van 1972. Teal Blue
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Original
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
What else is lurking behind those open doors.?.
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Re: Restoration Of 1961 Duo Tone Almond Green Traveller.

Post by Morris Mike »

As can be seen the engine bay is typical of a normal unrestored 1961 vehicle. Light surface rust through long term storage etc.

The interior is in amazing original condition and just needs some careful cleaning to retain its originality.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

If that's your idea of "just a respray" she's in very good hands indeed!
Gabriel
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

The engine bay is the first to get its new coats of paint.
Then the undersides of the bonnet and doors.

The engine bay is nice and dry now,so will be masked up to stop any over spray getting onto it when the rest of the bodyshell is painted.
The engine bay must be the hardest area to paint as it has lots of nooks and crannies that need paint getting into,I use two guns,a small one with a tilting pot and my normal large gun for the larger areas.
The rest of the car is a doddle to spray in comparison.

But let`s be honest here,when theses cars were built they just got a very light whisp or coat of paint in these areas as they were every day workhorses,nobody admired the under bonnet locations like we do at shows in this day and age.
We like to see high gloss paint every where.!!!

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

It's looking great, what did you use to strip away the old paint?
Gabriel
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Looking really good.
I'm not sure how long they had to spray in the factory, 3 minutes maybe?

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

I use a combination of these to remove any paint. The poly disc`s are really good.

As for the spraying of these cars when first built.
I have seen in the promotional film`s made during the time, two men,one either side of the car just wafting the spray gun into the engine bay, and also wearing no breathing mask`s.
When spraying the exterior of the car no precision spray work is carried out to the cars in the film`s, unlike an operative would do in this day and age.

Little wonder cheap spray jobs were carried out on these cars after ten years or so,the paint had already looked tired.

M.M

[frame]Image[/frame]
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

I was expecting an enormous sand blaster, you've sure spent some time with those sanding discs.
Gabriel
orb596
Minor Fan

Post by orb596 »

What a fantastic find in the first place. Going to be a fantastic car when you've finished. I look forward to seeing the finished article.
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

Managed to get some Valspar on it today.

Almond Green,the original colour.

Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

With the paint dry after a couple of hours,I managed to remove the masking paper and tape later on this evening.
She is looking more like a car again,now she is uncovered.

Now all I have to do is clean up and paint the engine and gearbox before refitting them. Then she will be looking more complete.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

Although the 2 pack paint finish is very good from the gun and perfect for a daily driven car,we classic car enthusiasts are looking for a mirror finish to our paint.
So out comes the 2000 grit wet and dry and with plenty of soap and water the paint finish is flattened to a dull and free from imperfections finish.
I then machine polish the paint with Farecla G3 to give a good gloss finish. Then the polishing head is changed for the one in the photograph,and Farecla G10 is used to give a better high gloss finish.
I then finish this off with a good quality wax polish (Autoglym) to give me that final high gloss mirror finish.

These cars never left the factory with paint looking like this.

Question......When we restore these cars to a high standard are we trying to make the finished article far better than Morris Motors ever intended the cars quality to ever have been.? i.e Are we restoring a Morris into a Jaguar.?

M.M

Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

Morris Mike wrote:Although the 2 pack paint finish is very good from the gun and perfect for a daily driven car,we classic car enthusiasts are looking for a mirror finish to our paint.
So out comes the 2000 grit wet and dry and with plenty of soap and water the paint finish is flattened to a dull and free from imperfections finish.
I then machine polish the paint with Farecla G3 to give a good gloss finish. Then the polishing head is changed for the one in the photograph,and Farecla G10 is used to give a better high gloss finish.
I then finish this off with a good quality wax polish (Autoglym) to give me that final high gloss mirror finish.

These cars never left the factory with paint looking like this.

Question......When we restore these cars to a high standard are we trying to make the finished article far better than Morris Motors ever intended the cars quality to ever have been.? i.e Are we restoring a Morris into a Jaguar.?

M.M
]
Well yes, there are some detractors to that but I figure "It's my car, it should be as nice as I can get it" and however shiny the paint once you use it it will begin to show wear but it will be "your" wear.

Another way to look at it is that this is that this is how the car "should" have been built in the first place with no corners cut.

I also have a lot of respect for all the folks who keep their cars running as daily drivers and only fix what goes wrong but personally I like it when it's shiny.
Gabriel
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

I have been side tracked by the little Renault 4CV I picked up whilst in France.
I like to wear many different hats so to speak when it comes to classic cars, I am not a one make person. :D

It is an original 50,000 mile car. The bodywork has no rust at all, all original never been welded.

The whole car is original just wanted a clean.

Sat in a barn unused since 1973.

It now runs and drives, we are keeping it as you see in the photo....a car is only original once in its life, why mess about if the car is not so bad. :D

Right I know it is not a Morris and you may not be interested ,so lets get back to the matter in hand....The Morris Minor Traveller 1961....
Progress has been stepped up on the Morris front.

The engine and gearbox are back in and running.
The very original interior has been cleaned and installed.
A set of as new Minilite wheels and tyres I had in storage have been fitted ,I have the original wheels and a new set of tyres that I had shotblasted and I refinished in 2 pack paint sitting in the wings if needed.

When I set out to improve the look of this car I wanted to preserve it rather than restore it. It was so original and untouched. Never been welded and did not need it.
I wanted to clean and repair if required all the original items because they were in such good condition.

It is an original 44,000 mile car with only two owners from new (the second owner did not use it).

Everything on the car is original from when it was manufactured in 1961 apart from.....

New paintwork.
Service items as expected.
New chromework (which I think really needed doing after the respray).

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
orb596
Minor Fan

Re: Restoration Almond Green Traveller 1961 Update Photo`s.

Post by orb596 »

Obviously its your choice at the end of the day but a car as original as yours really should have original wheels. That's my opinion anyway and I'm sure plenty will disagree with me.
Super car though. And I love the Renault too - great find.
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

Thank you for your comments.
As mentioned in the posting I have the original wheels sitting here refurbished and ready to fit if required...half an hours job and she is back to original.

M.M
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

Mike, my own Almond Green Traveller is a long, long way off this stage - think I might save time by stealing your fantastic photos and Photoshopping my reg plate on!

Serious question though, as you clearly know rather more about painting than the average enthusiast. I'm still at the welding stage, and I'm using lots of weld thru primer as I proceed. Am I ok to use this as a base for a high build primer, or should I remove it where visible and replace with an etching primer before the high build?

Mark
Morris Mike
Minor Fan

Post by Morris Mike »

If you judged the originality or preservation quality of a classic car by its headlight bowls this would car would be up there.

Most old cars I have worked on have had crumbling headlight bowls or had been replaced a long time ago.

Nine times out of ten the fixing screws need grinding off or worst still some of the wing aperture comes away.

Even the rubber seal is in perfect condition.

As a matter of course whilst ordering all the parts I thought I would need for this car during re-assembly I ordered new headlight bowls,seals,sealed beam units and chrome outer rings.

As you may be well aware, most of these items we purchase are made in ching chong land and are not a patch on the quality of the original items fitted in 1961.

Therefore I will be using the original items as they are better quality and keep the originality we are looking for.

Some of you might say "replace those old style headlights with H4`s" but that can be done in the future if we find the Toc H lamps of the originals too dim for night driving.
Hang on who said night driving....it will not be going out even if there is a cloud in the sky. :D :D

Only joking. :wink:

M.M

frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960