Reviving Gertie

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chuffit
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Reviving Gertie

Post by chuffit »

Having bought Gertie a couple of weeks back work has started to bring her back to life. Firstly engine was seized from standing managed to free off with loads of diesel down the bores and luck was on my side no lasting damage to bores or rings (aiming rebuild at a later date) Next got her up on ramp and there are four or five plates needed largest about size of a cigarette packet , so next job is to weld plates on and then strip all underseal off and start again. (any tips on what to use welcome) I'm thinking possibly zinc primer covered with stone chip . I really don't know wether to just preserve and use or to go to town and make her really nice , I don't want to be worried about taking her out all in weather. Hopefully will see some of you around the shows next year.

Fairford,Glos
Enjoy life in the slow lane buy a minor
chuffit
Minor Friendly

Re: Reviving Gertie

Post by chuffit »

Update . Engine running and sounds nice Oil leak from front right hand corner ? looks like may be from head gasket :roll: engine coming out though as front crossmember ? under rad rotted totally. Want to give engine bay a good clean/tidy too .[frame]Image[/frame]

Fairford,Glos
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Nice looking car you have there.

Everyone has their view on paints I suppose, my inclination would be to zinc primer/acid etch then some kind of paint then stone chip protect. I would also, after the paint but before the stone chip fill in any gappy places where water and crud could gather with seam sealer (I use cheap gripfill) so that there aren't any rust traps in the future. The aim would be to seal but also smooth out so it's harder for crud to take hold
chuffit
Minor Friendly

Post by chuffit »

Thanks dp that sounds like a good plan . I think the zinc primer will give good purchase for the stone chip. Love the look of your minor :)

Fairford,Glos
chuffit
Minor Friendly

Post by chuffit »

Very slow going as doing two jobs at moment Main work on Gertie has been cleaning off old underseal and repairing floors .
I have found smooth Hamerite in the muted clay colour is very similar to Dove grey when a small amount of black paint is added, and this will be the final coat underfloor.
Here are a few pictures so far[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Fairford,Glos
chuffit
Minor Friendly

Post by chuffit »

Can any one tell me what colour the axle etc would have been from new on my 1967 minor ?

Fairford,Glos
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Black
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

chuffit wrote:Update . Engine running and sounds nice Oil leak from front right hand corner ? looks like may be from head gasket :roll: engine coming out though as front crossmember ? under rad rotted totally. Want to give engine bay a good clean/tidy too .[frame]Image[/frame]
Have you checked the tappet chest covers on the inlet side of the engine block? They are quite a common source of oil leaks.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
chuffit
Minor Friendly

Post by chuffit »

Chipper wrote:
chuffit wrote:Update . Engine running and sounds nice Oil leak from front right hand corner ? looks like may be from head gasket :roll: engine coming out though as front crossmember ? under rad rotted totally. Want to give engine bay a good clean/tidy too .[frame]Image[/frame]
Have you checked the tappet chest covers on the inlet side of the engine block? They are quite a common source of oil leaks.
Yes I did consider that but the leak is higher up than the tappet chest covers , I'm going to rebuild the original engine if all goes to plan , I do have a spare for now though thanks

Fairford,Glos