Martha the Moggy Minor,the quick refurb project!

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bjbrownie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Martha the Moggy Minor,the quick refurb project!

Post by bjbrownie »

When the engine was out (two of us lifted it out easily with the flywheel removed) I took the opportunity to strip and clean it,the £6 spent on gloss green paint was probably the best small money for big improvement on the engine!
With the sump removed I was surprised the engine actually ran so well-3" of sludge should have killed it-but it shows how tough these little engines are and I rewarded it with a canister filter adaptor for the oil pump.q[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Martha the Moggy Minor-the year long winter project!
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

That's looking great! Very tidy ancillaries. That sludge makes me think I should change my oil as its been in there since the mid 80s :O
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

Isn't the sludge a result of the difference between non-detergent oil and detergent oil? The oil used originally is straight weight non-detergent that doesn't hold the dirt. Whereas multi-grade detergent oil holds the dirt in suspension to carry it to the filter. The dirt, carbon, etc just fell out and stayed in the the sump with the older oil. I haven't yet opened any of the engine that I rebuilt in the seventies and eighties to confirm any difference.
bjbrownie
Minor Fan

Post by bjbrownie »

This car was last used in 1989 apparently so the oils been sitting there for quite some time-there was liquid oil on top of the sludge but not much,probably about 2 pints. I removed the bearing caps and there was no damage or scoring as I thought there would be with running oil like this-it's not the original engine so I think whoever had it before me changed the engine and then resprayed it. Fitted with a new spin on oil filter adaptor now so much better to service!
Martha the Moggy Minor-the year long winter project!