Edd's 1969 2 door. UHU62H

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ASL642
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Edd's 1969 2 door. UHU62H

Post by ASL642 »

Congratulations! ...... now tiptoe out to the garage.... :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Romek
Minor Friendly

Post by Romek »

Congratulations and welcome to the youngest member! -although I think baby maintenance is a different website :)

'69 Traveller project
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Day #3. 2.5 hours of work. Today's soundtrack: Dispatch and Jason Mraz.

So today's plan was to finish draining gearbox and fuel tank, I finally got the right sized spanners thanks to my fiancées late grandfathers tool kit!
Fuel tank on the way out:[frame]Image[/frame]

Fuel tank out......since discovered it's massively rotten and I will need a new one at some point, it's amazing it's got this far![frame]Image[/frame]

After poking round the bonnet I noticed this on the battery tray, can anyone tell me why this bit of metal is stuck over the hole that's behind it that I see on most pictures of other cars?[frame]Image[/frame]

After draining the gearbox (man that oil stank) I proceeded to remove the passenger seat and some of the interior panels![frame]Image[/frame]

Next work day Friday! More interior removal and maybe a window??

Cheers!

Edd
'If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same'

Edd, 26, Devon.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

The hole behind the battery shelf is from when the car was first dipped in primer at the factory. They used a spit like a rotisserie to rotate the whole car! :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Ah right, any reason to cover it?

Edd, 26, Devon.
bjbrownie
Minor Fan

Post by bjbrownie »

Best guess is to stop engine fumes entering the cabin-there's also 2 small holes either side of the rear of the battery tray, I'm plugging these when I get around to that part! 8)
Martha the Moggy Minor-the year long winter project!
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Cool! I'll leave well enough alone then!!! Tidy it up a bit!

Edd, 26, Devon.
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Pretty nervous about tomorrow! Removing the kickstep and having a look at the boxing plates and sills, I didn't do this last time I owned it as I had no idea they came off. Wish me luck!!

Edd, 26, Devon.
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Day #4. 2 hours done. Soundtrack: Mad Dog Mcrea and Show of Hands.

Today started with removing the drivers seat! Start off nice and easy, seeing as I'm running on no sleep and had to force myself to do some work on the car today![frame]Image[/frame]

After this I had built up enough courage to remove a kick step cover and inspect a boxing plate, starting drivers side. The bolts were rusted solid and the inner sill was rusted to pieces so the sill cover just bent and snapped off easy enough.[frame]Image[/frame]
As you can see this boxing plate has been repaired with a flat bit of steel, welded in ok, needs a bit of tidying. Does it matter that it's not an original panel with the holes in?
He passenger side, had been repaired with an original panel...after angle grinding the sill cover off..[frame]Image[/frame]

Then out came some windows! Didn't smash any and the seals are still in great nick![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
And to finish off the few hours I removed the door cards:[frame]Image[/frame]

Next work day is Monday for a few hours, going to remove windscreens and if there is time start disconnecting the gearbox!

Cheers again guys, comments and suggestions hugely welcomed!
Edd

Edd, 26, Devon.
Daddybear1984
Minor Fan

Post by Daddybear1984 »

Blimey you don't hang around :D Congratulations on the little one and great progress so far, keep up the good work

Kind Regards

Scott

When you're in up over your head, the first thing to do is close your mouth.
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Day #5 soundtrack: Dispatch. 2 hours of work done.

Today was window removal day: front windscreen[frame]Image[/frame]

Followed by rear windscreen:[frame]Image[/frame]

Then passenger side window section, which was a nightmare. Not at all like described in the haynes, took me flipping ages![frame]Image[/frame]

This is what Morris looked like at the end of the session:[frame]Image[/frame]

Just the drivers door todo, I'm supposed to be doing a few hours today but this burning the candle at both ends business is getting to me, making myself slow down and have today off, back on it on Monday!

As always, comments and suggestions welcomed!

Cheers,

Edd

Edd, 26, Devon.
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Day #6 - 2 hours work done. Soundtrack - Mixed finger style guitar playlist!

Today was to remove the last of the windows. Drivers side! It was a nightmare!! I did not enjoy it at all![frame]Image[/frame]

Today's helper was my dog Loki (staffy cross whippet):[frame]Image[/frame]

And the final thing I got done today was remove the steering wheel and the gauges and gloveboxs![frame]Image[/frame]

I tried to disconnect the speedo cable from the gearbox but I couldn't get it to budge, is it just the round but that unscrews on it or the nut under it as well? Any good tips would be appreciated!

Next jobs are gearbox disconnecting and speedo and centre section removal.

Cheers again
Edd

Edd, 26, Devon.
bjbrownie
Minor Fan

Post by bjbrownie »

There's some good work going on there, even if your time is limited because of the little one-keep it up, we've all been there! Speedo cable just unscrews, I had to use Mole grips on mine-post up pics of removing the speedometer and associated bits, I'm stripping the dashboard shortly to paint mine! 8)
Martha the Moggy Minor-the year long winter project!
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Cheers! Gauges and glovebox were easy enough, just a few screws it was easier with steering wheel off!

Will post speedo pics, that's Fridays job!!

Edd, 26, Devon.
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Day #6 and #7 No music today! About 3.5 hours done total!

Todays jobs were aided by my dog Loki yet again....[frame]Image[/frame]

first job was removing the gearbox cover from the floor panel, so I could get at the speedo cable, I removed the gearstick, and managed to get the speedo cable off with some mole grips (after a very helpful suggestion on here, cheers!)[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Next job was disconnecting the clutch from the gearbox, which I did with help from another post on here! Haynes manual made my head spin...[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

After that, I was pretty tired.....so I just whipped out the speedo to get the dashboard almost 100% ready for painting, just switches and ignition and the fascias![frame]Image[/frame]

That's all! Next work day tomorrow, but I have a very short amount of time so I'll probably just remove bonnet and boot hinges and the screen washer dudes! Cheers again guys, comments and suggestions encouraged as always!

Edd (and Loki)

Edd, 26, Devon.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
You're going at it apace, well done. I'm surprised you find any spare time though with a new born.
Still you have your forthcoming wedding to motivate you to great things. Congrats on both.
Best of luck with the car.
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

jagnut66 wrote:Hi,
You're going at it apace, well done. I'm surprised you find any spare time though with a new born.
Still you have your forthcoming wedding to motivate you to great things. Congrats on both.
Best of luck with the car.
Mike.
Thank you very much, ah I dunno, taking apart stuff is easy, when it comes to welding, spraying and putting back together we'll see how swift I go... Haha!
Time management not too bad, I'm a gardener twice a week and morris is stored in a garage where I work, so I do 2ish hours twice a week after work! I'll probably take some days off to spend whole days there once the big stuff gets cracking!

Edd, 26, Devon.
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Day #8 no music again 1 hour done!

Today was removing hinges, about all I had time for!![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Also, I'm after some advice on preparing for painting, what's best to sand it down with and does this need primer? I gave a good thick coat of white primer and then the blue on top when I first did it. It looks like this:[frame]Image[/frame]

And also, all four wings and the boot are fiber glass, they look like this, is it best to sand them back as they are or strip them completely and re primer (what kind of primer??)[frame]Image[/frame]

Thanks again all, looking forward to your help!
Edd

Edd, 26, Devon.
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

If there are no cracks or blisters, they can just be flatted back and primed. Any loose paint or damage will mean having to flat back to the gel coat. You should be ok with 2k primer, but try first. If there is any reaction you will have to strip all the paint off or use a sealer. Exactly the same for the rest of the (steel) body.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

As an aside, I have a suggestion for the colour, as you are willing to go with a BMC pastel shade and you seem to like blue, how about putting it back to the pale blue that it was originally?
It's a nice colour, I certainly don't see that many around in it and it would go really well with the wedding theme. What colour is your interior going to be?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)