Little Blue, '61 2 door

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Little Blue
MMOC Member: No

Little Blue, '61 2 door

Post by Little Blue »

Hello everyone. :D

Introducing my 1961 2 door Morris Minor, Little Blue. Dad and I are giving her a full makeover, inside and out. We started a few weeks ago, so I will upload the pictures to where we are up to. We haven't done anything like this before, but are both very keen to learn.

A little back story... I bought LB a little over 2 years ago, as my first car. She looked great to the inexperienced eye, and we were told that she had had a full restoration in the last 5 years. We absolutely do NOT believe this anymore, as the rust bubbles have come through the paint, and it is peeling off around all the rubbers and edges. It seems as though they have rubbed a few bits back and sprayed it, without taking off anything. ANYWAY! Time to do the job properly!

We would really appreciate any comments and advice!

Anna
Little Blue

Re: Little Blue, '61 2 door

Post by Little Blue »

Passenger side under kick plate

Little Blue

Post by Little Blue »

So, this is sort of the stage we are at. The car's interior is stripped, and we have removed both doors, the passenger side guard, and both kick plates.

It was only a (very) recent decision that she was in need of the full resto. I was originally just going to do it panel by panel whilst still keeping her drivable, but have since decided the job is too big for that... she needs to be done properly.

I think we will need to use some sort of rotisserie to get to the floor pan, as it was hard enough just squishing under there to get the nuts for the seats undone. There is quite a bit of work to be done from the underside, so it will be best if we can get to it properly. :)

We are feeling a little bit overwhelmed, but it's going to be fine. We are both positive we can do it. Just need to read more books and forum posts!
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Rotating the car is great but will involve more work and takes up more space, you can do a lot of the welding from the top, if you can get it up on some ramps or axle stands the remainder from underneath is not to bad.

Check out our thread, ours is all being done with the vehicle up the right way.
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

With my car, 90% from the welding I did from the top, the other 10% was only because I could use a tool from another member from the dutch club ;)
And I used this tool to clean and inspect the bottom from the car complete, found some small holes and repaired this.
I have the space to rotate the car, but I do not think I will buy or make a tool for myself.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve