1968 2dr Saloon.

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
s3ndo
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1968 2dr Saloon.

Post by s3ndo »

Hi guys,

Thought I would start a post on here about my moggy, Flo, I picked up a few weeks ago. She's a 1968 2 door saloon in rover nightfire red but with the upper body sprayed a pearlescent silver. Complete with aging, rusty roofrack.

Nowhere near the kerb as I moved it to show wheels - honest ;)

Mechanically its sound but with a few rust patches to get sorted asap. I've done a tester section of paintwork and the colour is pretty well preserved although 10 years old so shouldn't be too much hassel sorting the spots and then blending the paint back in. Fingers crossed!

It's obviously not very original, with the wheels; tyres; a 1.3 engine and MG metro carb and the paint work. But she caught my eye and I had to have her. She came with all the original wheels so tempted to swap back at some point in the future but still undecided. She also came with one of the spoked type steering wheels from the earlier models. This was in poor standard so I swapped it for the 68-> wheel whilst I resprayed it.

Before:

After (the marks on the metal spokes are from some very adhesive masking tape! - gone now):

Plans for the future are:

Fix rust spots
Replace headlining - Doh!
Renew chrome
New carpet
Swap rear cards (someone stuck 2 big ugly phillips speakers in them)
Reupholster/vinyl dye the seats
Get the roofrack back to a spiffing state again, sand and varnish the wood slats, respray the metalwork.
Replace bonnet badges
Move the horn back to the steering column, it's currently on the gearstick :/

Lewis
Last edited by s3ndo on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: 1968 2dr Saloon.

Post by kennatt »

any chance of a shot of the engine bay
s3ndo
Minor Friendly

Post by s3ndo »

Hi kennat, incorrect info in the other thread. It's a 1275 engine with an mg metro carb.

Pic attached[frame]Image[/frame]
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

looks good :wink:
what are the wheels from :-?
are you still on standard brakes etc?
s3ndo
Minor Friendly

Post by s3ndo »

Im not entirely sure where the wheels are from. I think they may be Austin alloys. Will get a closer look at them later on or tomorrow.

Brakes are still drums all round. Nothing else major has been changed really apart from the front seats have been changed to xr3 seats minus the headrest. :)
s3ndo
Minor Friendly

Post by s3ndo »

Done, some digging, the wheels appear to be from a Jensen Healey.