'to complete or not to complete' restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rossfarrell
MMOC Member: No

'to complete or not to complete' restoration

Post by rossfarrell »

I have a 1968 Morris Minor traveller. With the exception of the new wood, it has been completely restored. Snowberry white, red leather seats and door inserts, reconditioned engine, new carpets, new wiring loom. It was taken completley back to the metal. There are plenty of photos of the re-build. She's lovely and I have had her for 20 years. I can't afford to buy the wood to complete her and need to raise funds.

My question to the group is: Is it economically worth me finding the funds to finish the wood, or would people be happy to buy at a good price?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 'to complete or not to complete' restoration

Post by les »

I would have to finish it, if I'd started! How much do you want a Minor? Sounds like you're not too keen, so my suggestion to you is----- out it.

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

A complete car, especially a traveller, will get a premium price, an unfinished project has to be discounted.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

You are in the position that many face,including mysef. Back in2006,I decided to do the trunnions,then the rear springs,then had a look at the sills,did them allthough a very small patch would have done fine,then put two new back wings on thought may as well spray the whole car ,then thought the head linning looks tatty,and the front and rear rubbers and the chrome work ,timing chain sounds a bit rattly did that , and on and on and eventually spent £1500 in parts,no labour cost fortunately. Then you realise that the car is now worth more to you than you would get for it,Did exactly the same with the last MBG I rebuilt, You are at that stage do you spend another lump of cash and just get your money back,or do you get back what you have spent up to now.
Hard choice,I would complete it but then my previous history hasn't taught me anything all it needed back then was trunnions and swivels and a2" patch on the boxing panel :D :D
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Pretty sure if all that was needed was new wood(as expensive as the wood is)would make the car very tempting to a possible new owner(depending on the asking price of course)especially if they were competent enough to do it themself..But if I understand the "back to bare metal" part of the post correctly it must have been repainted?What sort of damage to that paintwork will wood removal/refitting do?
Mick
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

It is a very good question!

Certainly, unfinished and without MOT no-one would want to pay so much.

The question is whether it is complete and running? If so and the only issue is the wood then most definitely, in my view, you would NOT recoup your cost if you were to replace the wood. The lower the price, the more people would be interested. Even if you could get a small positive on the deal, is the difference worth all your time and effort to do the work?
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

rather depends what actually is wrong with the wood, sometimes left over wood from other projects becomes available a little less than list prices, so that might be worth investigating.