4 door Saloon - 2 Year restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tim_jnv
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

4 door Saloon - 2 Year restoration

Post by tim_jnv »

A few pictures note not in cronological order obviously! of a 2 Year restoration that is now coming to a finish - can there ever realy be a finish with these?

work to still be done;
new drivers side chassis leg, (should have realy been done before) interior, few door fittings and improve alignment, brake lines and the setting, tracking, couple of earthing bonds, wiper and heating, improve timing and running of engine.

We aim to finish a traveller next year to simlar if not better standard also with better of use of time and money learnt from this one! - http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 61#p537061

Comments welcome as allways!

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
chuffit
Minor Friendly

Re: 4 door Saloon - 2 Year restoration

Post by chuffit »

Nice work I especially like the engine bay hope to get mine like that :D

Fairford,Glos
Enjoy life in the slow lane buy a minor
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

can there ever really be a finish with these?
Not really, now you have to track down and eliminate any rattles :)

Looks like a very tidy job you have done.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Welding and bodyshell painting was subbed out (funded by family members). We enjoyed re-fitting the door frames, electricals and mechanicals, but with the crack (missed originally) in the o/s chassis leg the remaining brake work will be subbed too, and they can sort out the non-fitting boot lid. Anyway, should be running for Brooklands Morris day in 2015. The leather seat rebuild will be fun too.

The annoying thing is it was all done 20 years ago and I took it off road owning to the clutch/brake pedal problems, it sort of condensed away into rust while it was in a garage, getting damaged by the bicycles. Bringing up son meant less time to do anything to it (plus had 3 others in and out the driving fleet over the years ), now son has time to get round to do the work, I'm tech consultant and chief spanner passer- also cleaner of the small parts.

We had a problem with the driver's side internal door release - wear in the catch mechanism, I finally managed to get into the other garage to find a full set of spares in the roof, one (ex van door in scrap condition from 18 years back) fitted back in in less time than it took me to fish them out of storage.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Looking good, Im sure your looking forward to driving it after all those years :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Looks great :D
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

The stop light switch needs re-sorting (I keep forgetting everytime its a fine day). And the rear doors are not quite fitted correctly - I need to find a couple of frame bolts that I forgot to fit which should help, along with a good fitting screwdriver to adjust the frame ' l' brackets around the windows.
Earlier in the year I took it to a car show, the Surrey A roads (not the A3) suit it for a run out, I went via Epsom and Leatherhead to Guildford, and still arrived early.

I am not certain that the bonnet shut line accross the front is correct , there is a gap either side of centre.

I am also not happy with under bonnet finishes, the carb needs another polish , air filter housing top another repain, and I have now found a split inlet manifold / bolted to exhaust manifold that I will clean up and use (it had one originally then one of the bolt castings split and broke). The distributor is externally a mess , likewise plug leads, but they do actually work so don't really want to mess the set up around. Also the Fuel Pump is too new, I have a couple of older ones to fix the internals then an original SU looks better. [frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by whyperion on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

underbonnet[frame]Image[/frame]
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Wow nice I hope mine looks even half as good as that
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Fantastic job!

whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Stop Light switch fixed nicely by local garage ( it had changed hands and the grumpy git who used to have it has gone, now 3 eastern european brothers, very nice they are ).

Out earning its keep for a couple of days delivering phone books ( then I found we are missing two screws from the re-trimmed rear seats - I could have bought a Jag, Rover 75 and another car for the cost of a pair of rear seats - ouch !, so need to look around the now freezing garage, they must be there somewhere.