1960 4 Door Saloon

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
boody227
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1960 4 Door Saloon

Post by boody227 »

Hi All, Back in June I bought my 4 door saloon from ebay. I wasn't bothered about condition as I planned to give it a complete rebuild. Well, now I am quite a way into this project and have a good collection of Work in Progress photos of the work so far, so I shall now endeavour to share my Collection. The car is currently having its bottom end welded extensively, Floor pans, sills, crossmembers, spring hangers....pretty much the whole bottom end is being renewed. Once I have the car back I shall upload more photos, and regularly update with my progress.
Cheers, Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Re: 1960 4 Door Saloon

Post by boody227 »

Sorry they aren't in Chronological Order, But anyway, Here is progress so far, will upload more of the welding tomorrow.
Cheers, Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Brakes were seized so they were stripped to get the wheels turning again. Brakes will be rebuilt at a later stage when the welding is done, along with the rebushing of all suspension and chassis.
Cheers, Luke
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Good to see another being rescued!
Mick
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I agree. Well done for taking on such a project. Many cars in that condition are discarded because the cost of restoration is far more than the car's final value.
Cars of that period are my favorites - I just like that specification with a few earlier features combined with a little more practicality.
What colour and interior will you finally choose? Will you go for complete originality or create you own specification?
Good luck with it. I'll certainly look forward to seeing your progress.
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Well it was originally Black and was terribly painted later on. So I think it will be going back black, with maroon/red interior. Although it came with series 2 seats I believe, but I think those will be stopping in.
Cheers, Luke
orb596
Minor Fan

Post by orb596 »

Yes, the front seats are certainly Series II ones but I would keep them as they are much more comfortable than the later ones. Try to get hold of an early back seat and door panels to match.
If you are going to update the lights to flashing indicators do try to keep the original front and rear lamps and fit the flashers either below the bumper or some other fitment that doesn't leave ugly holes in the bodywork. Try to keep originality to the fore if you can.
Try to fit any modifications discretely so as not to spoil the original lines of the car.

Good luck with the project - I look forward to reading your updates. :D
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Really pleasing to see another 4 door being saved, also good to see you're going with the original black, a colour that (IMO) Moggies look great in.
A brave restoration that I look forward to following.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Well the original door cards are early plain maroon. Which is what will be going back in the car, the duo tone is only one which came with the new doors. As for Flashing indicators, it already had flashing indicators fitted when I got it, therefore for ease I will just be putting them back on, as I don't have semaphores and they are too much of an expense really. I will also look around for older version rear seats.
Cheers, Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Just some Photos of the welding and progress.

This is not my work, but the work of AES Engineering, based in Hoyland. An Excellent Company
Cheers, Luke
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Excellent work 8)
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Interesting to see they have welded the sill covers on , this should significantly stiffen the structure up.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

They certainly have a lot of confidence in their approach. I'd have been far too nervous to cut so much of the structure away without any bracing.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Interesting to see they have welded the sill covers on , this should significantly stiffen the structure up.
Maybe so, however he will no longer have access to check on the condition of them in future years. Can I suggest that some holes be drilled to spray in some cavity wax (Dinitrol is really good), so that they can be preserved for as long as possible.
Try these links below.
Best wishes,
Mike.

http://www.frost.co.uk/dinitrol-ml-cavi ... 500ml.html

http://www.frost.co.uk/extension-hose-60cm.html
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Obviously a very competent welder!! Great progress.

I hope you dont mind me suggesting it but I would recommend the trial fitting of the doors as soon as possible to check that everything still lines up after such a lot of the old metal work having been cut away, I also would have braced the door gaps or left the doors in place with regular opening and closing. Normally the sill finisher and kick plates are all bolted on rather than welded up which allows you to paint, rust proof and inspect this area.

Too many Minors so little time.....
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

The doors have been trial fitted countless times during welding and during the actual lining up the structure was braced securely in position, bear in mind that only half the floor is being done at a time.
The kickplates have been completely welded up to reduce water ingress from around the door, although there are drain holes underneath, also theyre will be cavity wax treated on all the internals of the sills and chassis legs.
Too much time and effort has been done to let them rot away again.
Cheers, Luke
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

orb596 wrote:Yes, the front seats are certainly Series II ones but I would keep them as they are much more comfortable than the later ones. Try to get hold of an early back seat and door panels to match.
If you are going to update the lights to flashing indicators do try to keep the original front and rear lamps and fit the flashers either below the bumper or some other fitment that doesn't leave ugly holes in the bodywork. Try to keep originality to the fore if you can.
Try to fit any modifications discretely so as not to spoil the original lines of the car.

Good luck with the project - I look forward to reading your updates. :D
Well said :D :D
fantastic work
more power to your elbow

boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Cheers. Not much progress just yet. Painted most of the engine and I have started to polish the chrome up. Will upload photos tomorrow all being well.
Cheers,
Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Here is the Bonnet Hinge, Before and After Picture, Lots of very oily wet and dry, then car paintwork scratch remover/compound. A dab of Brasso and they're like new!

Obviously not finished completely, but its a good start!
Luke
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Wow shiny :D