1961 Black Four Door

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
The vast minority
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1961 Black Four Door

Post by The vast minority »

Well, yes they can but to open again they need to be got at from the front.

Al
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Work on Friday included, removing n/s brake drum and n/s halfshaft. No susprises and everything there is very good. Top brake shoe was on back to front, which would have given better brakes going backwards :roll: . The wheel cylinder is a genuine AP and again looks new-ish and working well, shoes again Lockheed riveted type and plenty of lining left. Brake back plate this time good, so left it alone. Then drained rear axle oil. Then removed the rear springs, which I don't think has ever been removed since fitted in 1961. As the rubber bushes all are marked with MOWOG. And the metal plates on either side of the springs/pads are badly corroded (only half of them left). I have all new rubber bushes, u bolts, pins already. So another order from esm needed as I need the new plates. Hopefully will arrive before Christmas.

Below, Old spring and recondition spring

[frame]Image[/frame]

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Over the Christmas holidays (nothing on daytime tv), I decided to clean and soften the leather seats. I was told to try Belvoir Saddle Soap and it is super stuff. I have done the drivers seat and the rear seats and I'm very pleased with them :D

You can just about see in this picture the difference. (left/after applying it, right/before)

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

And the passenger seat[frame]Image[/frame]

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Big thanks goes to Stevey and David McC for coming over yesterday and for doing the small welding repair in the freezing temperatures. Ta very much men.

Todays work included: refitting d/s/r suspension with recon spring and all new bushes and plates. One coat of waxoyl to d/s/r underbody (from crossmember to bootlid). Then once cleaned up a bit I removed the rear door cards (which came off like a dream and no clips broken :P ) and then waxed inside the rear doors with Dynax. The doors are original and haven't been repair at all. And I found out why as there are massive drilled holes in the bottoms of the doors. So there was more wax on the floor than inside the doors :roll: . But thats a good job and strokes another job of the list as I was going to drill holes anyway.

Then took the door cards inside and started cleaning them, again with belvoir saddle soap.[frame]Image[/frame]

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

P/S/R suspension refitted with the reconditioned spring and all new bushes and plates. Complete underside now waxoyled :D . Front door cards removed and cleaned. Inside front doors waxed and all door lower seals replaced. Inside floor primed and painted. Car lowered onto it's 4 wheels. And I think this 'Minor 1000' wants to be a Series 2. :o :-?[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Once the tanks full, spare wheel in and more to the point a great big picnic in the boot, it will sit at a better height :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

ill say nothing :P

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Yeah, I hope it sits better once its on the road.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

They will settle fine :)

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Gearbox cover removed and inside chassis legs checked for waxoyl. Plenty of waxoyl in them, but topped them up anyway. Then some new carpet sections (2 metres of carpet bought of ebay for £10, colour very close match) made and installed with most of the original sections. Front carpets original, original rear carpets kept (as soundproofing) but new sections used on top of them, new sill sections and rear tranmission tunnel section fitted. Then passenger front seat and rear seat reinstalled.

[frame]Image[/frame]

[frame]Image[/frame]
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Looks good :)
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Thanks Irmscher :D

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

This week I got the front grille valance, front panel, front bumper valance and rear bumper valance back from the paint shop. So front panel and grille valance refitted with new hockey sticks. Then front and rear bumpers refitted with new chrome blades. Just need to get new overrider bolts to fit the new overriders (thought I could use the old ones, but they don't fit the new overriders :roll: ) and to finish painting the grille in old english white.

[frame]Image[/frame]

[frame]Image[/frame]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Nice job Andrew!

Too many Minors so little time.....
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

smashing :D

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Well work over the past week has been, radiator grille, overriders, radiator, heater hoses, radiator hoses all fitted and refilled with coolant. Brakes bleed then engine run really for the first time. Once warmed up, there seemed to be a misfire at high revs. As I had already replaced the points I decided to replace the rotor arm. That seemed to clear the misfire at the time (in the garage at the time only). Then today I drove the car for the first time :D . First road test I took it easy, gearbox is an absolute dream and diff really quiet. About half a mile away I started to push a bit harder and then the misfire came back :( and struggled to get over 30mph. Returned home and as I hadn't changed the condenser before, I fitted a new one and checked the points gap at the same time (which was ok). Then road tested car again (to the end of our street), misfire this time worse than before :cry:. So what next, then after a quick lunch I touched the coil, which still seemed to warm for the length of time cooling. So I thought as it was the easiest option to change the coil (it was a lucas coil and it did look a far old age). The spare coil I had was removed from my blue minor a few years ago and was known to be good. So quickly swopped over the wires and lead and took the car out for the third time. Well, a different car all together. No misfiring and taking the boot well in all cogs :D. (And I know what's coming, It's never the coil). Then I drained out and refilled coolant again. Then fitted new lower door seals to the d/s doors and waxoyled the outer door bottoms. Then finished off the day by fitting the p/s door cards and handles.

[frame]Image[/frame]

[frame]Image[/frame]

[frame]Image[/frame]

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Last weeks work was: d/s door cards and handles refitted, front number plate painted (thanks stevey) and refitted, Horn working again (thanks David McC). New headlamp/sidelamp earth brackets fitted to both front inner wings, new headlamp bulb fitted to n/s it was still working but it was very black and dimmer than the d/s, car roadtested a bit more, brakes need another quick bleed as their a bit more spongy the first pump ( I think it's the fronts as the front brakes pipes where removed and replaced). So all in all, still on target for MOT on Saturday 14th February :D

[frame]Image[/frame]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Your car is looking really good, you must be chafing at the bit to be able to drive it! Good luck with the MOT.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Thanks. Jagnut66

Yes I am. But I want the car as roadworthy as possible before a take it any distance / mot. I waited a few years to get a goodin, so I can wait a few more days :D