Roll over jig / Rotisserie

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
garethzoehill
MMOC Member: No

Roll over jig / Rotisserie

Post by garethzoehill »

Hi folks I know this is a repeating topic but after loads of research I still cant find the answers I am looking for.

I am looking to build a roll over jig with castors for my 1955 2 door. All the plans I can find uses the rear bumper mountings, but as they only bolt on I am not too sure about them - any thoughts? I was thinking about constructing my own however I am worried about the weight and so over engineering it which is putting the cost up plus I am having problems sourcing materials.

If someone has built one can you let me know what you used and how you went about it.

Thank you
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Re: Roll over jig / Rotisserie

Post by Neil MG »

Very quick and dirty, a length of pipe and two hurriedly made stands. It was first used for an MGA then just had the brackets re-welded for the minor:

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48882

I needed to put it on a couple of bits of wood too for the extra height. My point is that it was simple, "free", basic and worked. There is no need to over engineer or complicate things. That just adds time and cost.

Oh just to add that it needed to be moveable so rather than complicate things I just put a very simple trolley underneath the body each time. I lowered it on, moved it and then put it back on the stands afterwards, leaving the pipe attached to the body. all done single handed and in minutes.

I prefer the spit to the rollover jig because it takes less space and you can move it through 360 degrees as you work. That is VERY convenient for welding, especially the sills.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
garethzoehill

Post by garethzoehill »

Hi Neil,

Thank you very much for the details, I was wondering if I could ask you what diameter and thickness the main pole was. I was looking at using 1" (or 25mm) 16swg (or 1.5mm thick) box section for the cross supports and looking at your pictures that should be ample.

Cheers
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

If the weather is fine this weekend I hope that I'll get mine finished. I've used Neil's scaffold pole method (2" dia) but instead of building frames I'm using a couple of builders steel trestles (£14 on eBay), and I'm using timber brackets in the car. I need to fit castors, so I'll bolt some 3 x 2 to the trestle feet.

If it works I'll post photos next week.

Mark