Air Cleaner Maintenance

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
vee12jag
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Air Cleaner Maintenance

Post by vee12jag »

Hello all,
I have a 56 Series 2 with the original 803. It has a cylindrical original air cleaner which I believe is the oil bath type.
It does not seem to come apart. Can anyone please advise what is the correct way to service this and re-oil it?
Thanks
Mark
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Air Cleaner Maintenance

Post by SteveClem »

Unless you are really into originality I'd think about replacing it. Had the same thing on my '55 A30 ,with a zenith carb. Switched to an su with standard MM air filter and it's so much better.
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

No need to replace it! It is very much part of the charm of the almost extinct 803 engine. If it is the standard UK filter (horizontal up above the engine) then it is not an oil bath and does not need to come apart. You can wash it in petrol, let it dry and re-oil it with a bit of engine oil. In normal driving it will only need doing every few years!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
vee12jag
Minor Friendly

Post by vee12jag »

Thanks guys. Yes it's the horizontally mounted cylindrical type. Having washed it out, I guess I just need to squirt a bit of oil into the metal gauze. Is that correct?
Cheers
Mark
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Yes that's it. Did it for years and it's fine. Agree it adds to the charm ...still have my 803 on the Austin but it does run better on the su/standard filter. Probably because the zenith carb was carp.