1968 Police Morris Minor

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
manic morris1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1968 Police Morris Minor

Post by manic morris1 »

hi ant thank s sorry to be a pain .
steve.
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

manic morris1 wrote:hi ant thank s sorry to be a pain .
steve.

Your not a pain
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Well paid £2000 and got the door and boot done !!!
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Does the rear spring hanger section look ok ? In picture 3 please has been done both sides by welder

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by cplnobbie on Sun May 22, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Parts that have been fixed by welder do they look ok to you ?

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

these parts are still to be welded In[frame]Image[/frame]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Yes looks good without seeing it in person. You expect to see some repairs. Tho I personally i would grind and seal them. Seam sealer is good. I'd use fibreglass filler aswell which is waterproof. You could make them look alot better. Tho id just seal the ones you cant really see.
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Im sure that the long parts with holes In should be In with the sill finisher[frame]Image[/frame]

And I still have these which I'm sure should be helping to fix them In[frame]Image[/frame]
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

greendefender123 wrote:Yes looks good without seeing it in person. You expect to see some repairs. Tho I personally i would grind and seal them. Seam sealer is good. I'd use fibreglass filler aswell which is waterproof. You could make them look alot better. Tho id just seal the ones you cant really see.

Put more picture up what do you think please.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

You can still see my rear arch repair panel cause i over lapped it about 4-5mm and welded it both sides, not the best way but i wanted the extra strength and it was the 1st repair panel that id ever fitted. Its all sealed and zinc painted on the lap joint. At the front of that arch I dont a butt welded repair which you cant see atall and would know it was there.[frame]Image[/frame]

[frame]Image[/frame]

You can see here where iv used fibreglass filler to cover the weld. Iv mainly done it to help keep it in good condition but also cause I didn't want the car to be complete patchwork.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

Sorry, but no, it looks like MoT patching style rather than the professional restoration you seem to be aiming at. On the inner wing he doesn't seem to have provided any captive nuts for bolting the wing. Do you know what he's done behind the pillar cover - this is a complicated area which usually rusts very badly.

The long bit with holes is the boxing plate, and should have been welded in behind the removable finishing panel (kick plate), continuing behind the front inner wing to the wheel arch and behind the B pillar at the back. This unbolts very easily, so you can have a look what he's done if he hasn't fitted it.

The front of the loor panel should have a lot more plug welds to the chassis leg than the three visible in your photo.

You expect to use filler to finish welds on external panels, but I'd not really be happy with filler on the underside or arches by a professional - his welds should be neat enough to finish with seam sealer.

Mark
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Well that shut me up. Mine had some really terrible welding and brazing. Also bought a scrap ka that had terrible welding for spares. In fact most cars iv had that have been welded theyve been terrible. I just asumed the weldings been done on budget and that all the rust has been cut out. I see it as you can spend little money and if it's been done right you'll have a car that will last a good while. Or spend a fortune have all new panels fitted so the cars as new and will last a very long time. But could also cause the owner to spend more money then theyve got. I'm not happy with a couple of bits on my Traveller as iv done a couple of lap welds when I started it. But its all good tho.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

No intention to shut you up, Steve - just don't feel that what you, and me, can do as amateurs is good enough for someone charging serious money. Actually, I think you and me can both do a lot better than this work!
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Mark Wilson wrote:No intention to shut you up, Steve - just don't feel that what you, and me, can do as amateurs is good enough for someone charging serious money. Actually, I think you and me can both do a lot better than this work!
Hi Mark,
Do you think this work then Is not up to much then ?

Regards
Anthony
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

[quote="cplnobbie"]Im sure that the long parts with holes In should be In with the sill finisher[frame]Image[/frame]

Sorry Mark I mean should one of those pieces that's looks the same roughly In middle of shot have been used near the sill finisher.

Regards
Anthony
Last edited by cplnobbie on Sun May 22, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Thanks Mark. Also we don't know if it is a professional welding or a mate that can weld. I try not to put down other people's projects unless I see something dangerous as most of us need that extra push for encouragement. I haven't commented much on people's cars as minors are/were very new to me, well spotted on the captive nuts. Those doors are gonna need alot of filling due to much heat. But to the op tho could you enlighten us on who done it? Do you have doubts on the work as you've asked what we think? Obviously we can't see what's behind the repairs. A couple of funny shaped patches isn't anything to worry about if it's done properly and for a good price tho. Tho if your paying it's nice for it to be right.
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

greendefender123 wrote:Thanks Mark. Also we don't know if it is a professional welding or a mate that can weld. I try not to put down other people's projects unless I see something dangerous as most of us need that extra push for encouragement. I haven't commented much on people's cars as minors are/were very new to me. But to the op tho could you enlighten us on who done it? Do you have doubts on the work as you've asked what we think? Obviously we can't see what's behind the repairs. A couple of funny shaped patches isn't anything to worry about if it's done properly and for a good price tho. Tho if your paying it's nice for it to be right.
I'll pm you fella
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Iv just read your whole thread. Wouldn't worry to much about the welding as it appears most of the rot has been cut out. Just a shame with the doors and lower panels behind. But its been done now and is stronger than before. You'll need to get some riv nuts for wings. Ask your friend who done it what he reccomend about tidying/finishing off the welds.
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

What are these parts used for please as I still seem to have two[frame]Image[/frame]