Steves Morris Traveller 1970

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
greendefender123
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Steves Morris Traveller 1970

Post by greendefender123 »

Iv repaired the drivers side inner wing above the bump stop today. Iv used some thicker steel. I also got father to help me tip it over. Iv welded some bracing in between the pillar and rear arch to help keep its shape. Was so heavy to tip over. Atleast I can get to the underside easier. Should really help get the project moving. Il be taking my other car off the road next February. Tho want this one driving as soon as possible so I can drive it in and out the workshop.
Last edited by greendefender123 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Really getting into it again. Iv fitted the rear sill/floor repair panel made and fitted repair panels to the chassis legs each side right at the back. Iv started derust ing the underneath, using a wire wheel in the grinder and wire bush it's cleaning up well. Iv been applying phosphoric acid and cleaning this back off again to kill all the rust. Iv ordered some new spring mounts from Charles Ware today they're on a small plate. And also a crossmember end for the offside. Iv also ordered some wire wheel things for the drill to get into the nooks and crannies. Iv used that body filler with fibre glass to seal some of the welds but iv bought some seam sealer to try aswell, from what iv seen it looks really smart when used with masking tape. I haven't taken any pictures yet but will soon. Just need to find the camera. Iv just got to repair the floor above the crossmember on the N/S then the spring mounts and it can be flipped the other way to start on the drivers side.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Surging ahead :D
greendefender123
Minor Addict

[frame]Image[/frame]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Spring mounts and crossmember end have arrived. Could only get them Charles Ware on a small plate. Looks like all the paint will have to come off. Tho thats not a problem. Better take some careful measurements before removing the old mounts. The old crossmember end has been welded on wonky so I better make sure I get it on straight. Having problems with the replacement landy gearbox and im tired this week so I'm in a bad mood. Hopefully il feel better soon.[frame]Image[/frame]
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

greendefender123 wrote:Spring mounts and crossmember end have arrived. Could only get them Charles Ware on a small plate. Looks like all the paint will have to come off.
If one supplier doesn't have what you want, simply ask another supplier surely? There is plenty of competition. ESM, Bull Motif etc provide a better UK produced panel than that which might be a little more expensive but will doubtless save you time in fitting. That has been my experience.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Yeah im happy with them. Was just strange that esm and bull don't do them on a small plate. Didn't want to pay twice the price just to cut most of it off. Iv basically got the crossmember end for free. They still good quality the steels nice, thick and strong. Iv been buying the best panels from esm. The quality seems excellent and they've fitted well. I was given a bull motif catalogue with the car. Just haven't used them yet. Iv still got plenty of orders to do.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Iv welded the n/s spring hanger. Iv made up a new part of floor for the top of crossmember. I'm really not happy with it but as the crossmember end that's been fitted is in good condition im leaving well alone.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Been busy cleaning the rust off the underside. Its alot of work, I'm nearly there and get to keep the original floors. Apart from above the end of crossmember ends the floors only got 2 rust holes above where the exhausts shield was. Which iv binned as it was rotten. Hopefully I wont need another one as iv welded the holes up.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

It looked like I'd finished the welding for n/s underneath till I cleaned off this bitumen underseal type stuff which was hiding some holes. Iv cleaned up both the chassis legs and attacked them with a small hammer One legs completely sound but iv found some holes in the n/s but the rest of the leg is solid. Il be doing some butt weld repairs on it to completely remove the rust as the legs still solid.[frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by greendefender123 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Il soon be starting the welding again on the drivers side. I'm really enjoying this build. Hopefully the cars gonna last a few more years. Il certainly be happy when the weldings done tho!

Steve
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Good progress! 8)

Too many Minors so little time.....
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Thanks David slowly but still progress.

Iv flipped the traveller the over way to tackle the last of the underside welding. Iv had a nice break painting the axle and working on other car. blood tests are showing that my ion levels are getting low again. But i still manage a few hours on the car a day. Nearly broke my jaw when i fell on the jack the other day. Got a nice big lump instead. Im always falling over anyway and bruising myself. Anyway heres a couple of pictures.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Great progress Steve well done .. I found tipping mine easy apart from when it just goes over .. Keep up the progress
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Any updates Steve ?
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Hello yes iv got the inside of the o/s sill painted, sill step in place and have put the front sill and floor part on. Iv got the rear sill and floor panel in place today but my welders tip broke and my spares don't fit so iv had to order some. Grrr but the ka needs work this week just the brake caliper and a new ignition switch has turned up for the landy so iv got plenty to anyway. Seems your getting with yours. Crash damage seems a pain but atleast yours is solid tho which makes up for it. I need another car to run around in as the traveller wont be finished for ages which is abit annoying. I get back into working on it so quickly which is good as i need plenty of breaks.
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Great progress There .. It's amazing you will feel like your getting nowhere and then you feel like you have loads done even another months time you will have it back over and nearly ready for primer ... Ableas you have a few bits to do while eating on things .. Need to service the bora myself and a few other bits for it as well never am end to them
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Abit of an update. All underside welding is complete. Its had 2 coats of red oxide and 2 coats of chassis black on top of the phosphoric acid treated metal. Just got the near rear side arch to finish rear mount things that go in the corners. Need to order these then just pillar and inner wing repairs. Welder torch has finally died. The pipe slip when I got it so I bodged but the switch in sided broke which I fixed but the gas valve has since broken so I thought id treat it to another one. Rear axle has been bolted on but not the brakes yet and its back on its wheels. Il try and take some pictures tomorrow.

Bought a brand new carpet set on ebay for £12.21 which looks ok and will do for now. Will have to start getting it ready for paint soon. Not sure how to go about it. Think il completely strip under the bonnet then work my way back. Just seems very dawting at the moment.

Pics to follow.
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

You jammy git getting the carpets for that price .. Looks like your on the home straight with the underneath . which is the worst to do in my opinion
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Carpets are good for the money but are black. Will do for now anyway. Today iv been stripping the engine bay and wiring loom out. I marked up the loom and put it in a bin bag. Haven't done alot today. Still waiting for my welder part. I don't think the engine bay will be as bad as I think.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

It looks OK to me a bit cleaner than mine a the Mo .. Think mine will be getting the black carpet treatment as well
greendefender123
Minor Addict

I figure it will be good for grease and oil stains till I get it sorted. Gotta spray the car 1st tho!