Steves Morris Traveller 1970

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
greendefender123
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Steves Morris Traveller 1970

Post by greendefender123 »

Finished the driver inner wing. Looks good. Makes a difference butt welding the welding the metal. I really wouldn't want to buy one of these off someone that's had the work done. You could hide loads behind but I welded it all. Also painted behind the wing. Also used zinc spray behind the welds and red oxide then chassis black on the rest. Hopefully it will last a long time. I'm just doing the passenger side at the moment. Made up a new inner panel. Just fixing the edge of the arch and end of the sill. Made a small template but will add more to it. Iv started the body preparation. Gonna get my father to help trial fit the wood so I can weld the rear brackets on that iv just bought. And need to trial fit the boot floor to weld the mounts on. Getting there slowly tho its nice to paint some bits. Makes you feel like your getting somewhere. Roys giving me a back axle case which I will fit when I strip the axle down. Sorry the workshops abit messy. Needs tidying again. [frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Nice to see progress steve amd keeping one alive well done
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

you made a nice strong job on that floor (pic two from top) looks almost landmine proof. Like your cardboard template pic 5, coming along steady, taking you time ,great to see.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Thank you, I like to over engineer things.

Passenger side all welded up today. Got my infusion tomorrow so wont be on the car till Wednesday
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Fathers helping me do the wood.[frame]Image[/frame]

Come across a slight problem/disaster the rear panels to low so I have to cut it about and re weld it. Hopefully the bumper irons will now line up well. Just started cleaning the metal up.[frame]Image[/frame]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Bolted the panels the wood bolts onto. Looks right and most things line up. I wouldn't be able to do this part without my father who is a very clever bloke.[frame]Image[/frame]

You can clearly see the gap.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Down to the fettling bit, getting exciting :D
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Yeah something like that. Just a little welding then full time on the body work. Welded the in correctly now. Gonna take the rear mounts off. Just bolted on for now, and fully weld behind then zinc prime and weld the mounts on. And make the rest of the flanges to the mounts. Getting close to looking like a car now tho.

Is it worth removing the door tops for painting the doors? Heard lots of horror stories.
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

I took mine off handy to do its the 2 under the fly window were a pain to take off lots of washers on it to put it back on
greendefender123
Minor Addict

I'm still here. Been busy with other cars. But iv got the bonnet ready for paint. Nearly the wings aswell. Father used my spray gun last so it's cream crackered again. I had everything set up to paint aswell before I realised. So iv ordered a gravity feed one to try out. Iv stripped the engine side bulkhead back to bare metal. Rust killed, and primed. Just working on the rest of the engine bay. And the kick plates and things. Really need some good weather to crack on with it really. Il take some pictures later.
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

I find the gravity fed ones the best there are really good ones on eBay for feck all .. I'll link ya for them nice to see your making progress mine has kind of came to a standstill and haven't been on here much either get some pics up lad
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Thanks. Yeah it'll soon come together. Il pop some pics up soon. Abit busy with other bits this week now. It's so easy for work to stop on it. Just converted a car into a trial car. Exhaust and fuel leak on another and partners car demanding a service and tyres. Better do the tracking to. Cheers
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Gotta touch up a couple of bits but feels like I'm getting somewhere. Had a good tidy up afterwards.[frame]Image[/frame]

Shocks temprialy put back on.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Iv also sprayed the bonnet but have sanded it back due to orange peel effect.
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Nice work now you are further aling than me
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Thanks still lots of painting and prep to do tho.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Looks great! I always enjoy the fitting up bit the best after its all been sprayed :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
greendefender123
Minor Addict

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:Looks great! I always enjoy the fitting up bit the best after its all been sprayed :D
I need to learn to enjoy this part and not be scared of it. It's very different to the land rover iv rebuilt before.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Abit more progress. Spent along time trying to remove the headlining but decided to leave it rolled up and masked off. It's still in great nick and if thats hard to remove im sure it'll be even harder to refit. My day was spent removing the drivers door. Disconnecting the steering from the dash. I also removed the heater and other things on the bulkhead. Iv rubbed down the dash ready for spraying. Still plenty of paint preparation to do. It's gonna be well worth it. Il take some more pictures when I remember.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

I need to just concentrate on doing the paintwork at the moment and not get carried away refitting everything. Iv got plenty of time for that once it's winter again.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Winter? you'll have it done before then :wink: