Steves Morris Traveller 1970

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Neil MG
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Steves Morris Traveller 1970

Post by Neil MG »

Those pillar bottom sections can be used on the opposite side as the rear part of the pillar. Makes fabricating the front (you can use the correct side as a starting point for that) easier.

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=200
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Hi Neil i think i understand what you mean.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

Is it me, or is there some confusion here between hinge pillar cover and B pillar repair?
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Mark Wilson wrote:Is it me, or is there some confusion here between hinge pillar cover and B pillar repair?
Yes i think it was just a general link to the welding part of his thread. Luckily my b pillar is good.
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Hi greenD
Is this the rubbish cover panel?
As far as I can tell from the picture, it is the same part. In isolation, mine looked like a nicely made part that should do the job well. However, its shape was very different from the original on the car. I tried fettling it to be an acceptable fit, but gave up.

I hope yours is better.

Don
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

greendefender123 wrote:
Mark Wilson wrote:Is it me, or is there some confusion here between hinge pillar cover and B pillar repair?
Yes i think it was just a general link to the welding part of his thread. Luckily my b pillar is good.
Sorry, my mistake, I thought reference to the crappy pillar panel was for the B-post, but there are lots of panels that need work!
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Hi Neil, just wanted to say your build is amazing, been following it long before i got a minor. Mines nowhere near as bad as yours was. My finish wont be as good as yours partly because its generally in good/excellent condition for its age and id like to keep it that way. I dont really have any money for the parts to make it concourse. But then not every car needs to be like new. Tho your minor is outstanding id be afraid of using it where i live.

Steve
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I'm relieved to find that Neil can make mistakes, even a tiny one! I'd assumed that he must be superhuman to achieve what he has....
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Haha! You wouldn't say that if you saw how clumsy I am!
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Well iv certainly made a mess today. Need to put it back together with new metal. Found out the sills had cover panels fitted, i was abit unsure till i removed these. Iv rust converted it. Im sure it will come together once iv got a new panel or 2 on.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Bugger. Before you go any further get the door re hung and linen up, then add some bracing to the aperture to hold it square. With that amount of structure missing things are going to move.

Rod
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Redmoggy wrote:Bugger. Before you go any further get the door re hung and linen up, then add some bracing to the aperture to hold it square. With that amount of structure missing things are going to move.

Rod
Step ahead there. Have already braced the door aperture before i done any cutting. Iv refitted the door to try it. Looks like it will all line up well and that il got the sill step in the same position as the remains of the old one. Thanks for your concern. Minors are very new to me.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Got the sill step and boxing panel in place. I roughly refitted the door. Looks like it will line up well. I measured the distance of the old sill step from the boxing panel and have fitted the new step to these measurements and it looked like it will be ok. Its hard working from someone elses old project. Dont know what goes where at times but im feeling positive.

Ran out of welding wire making a wheel carrier for my daily/trial car.[frame]Image[/frame]

Iv been painting the inner sill and behind the boxing panel whilst iv got good access. Removed all the rust aswell. Iv also been making repair panels and patches for when i get back to the welding. Feels like its getting somewhere on this side.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame] This part of the floor had brass attached to it under like weld. Which had damaged the floor so i decided to replace this part as it needed a repair new the wheel well anyway.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

This could be it for the moment, as im having an operation on monday which will take a couple of weeks to get over if not longer. Really starting to feel like the cars heading in the right direction tho. Will be stripping the underneath soon and rust treating it and painting it. Im dying to drive it. Apart from around the field and into the workshop with this one iv never driven or been in a morris minor before. Cant wait. I really hope i get it done in time for the Exmoor Classic Tour in the summer. Tho not a problem if i dont.

Thats all for the moment. Cheers Steve
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Good progress Steve and all the best for your operation
]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Thank you.
Samuelfraz
Minor Friendly

Post by Samuelfraz »

this is a great project, its always nice to see how other folk are getting on with theirs and to see how they go about things and to compare. i will be keeping a eye on this one. looking great so far 8)
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Thank you, wont be much progress for a month or 2. Im certainly enjoying the project. But I don't want to over restore it tho cause its only original once. Just making the metalwork sound 1st.
Samuelfraz
Minor Friendly

Post by Samuelfraz »

greendefender123 wrote:Thank you, wont be much progress for a month or 2. Im certainly enjoying the project. But I don't want to over restore it tho cause its only original once. Just making the metalwork sound 1st.
That's the same as the one I am doing its gonna be no show car just a solid usable traveller.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Just found this picture of my mog online.[frame]Image[/frame]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Hoping to get cracking on with it again next week. Been hectic with other things. Mother and father got me 5 nankang tyres for my birthday. They only cost £145 delivered. Dont really want them this early but if I get bored I can always start on the wheels. Got a DA sander for Christmas just need to get back out in workshop.